The New Classics

entrerix

The merc AI gameplay in Far Cry 1 was quite good.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Heavy Rain has the potential of becoming a classic. At least Cage is trying to do something new, mixing quick-time events, dark/gritty storyline & Sims gameplay into the cauldron of ambition... he is almost the Peter Molyneux of elitists.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Heavy Rain has the potential of becoming a classic. At least Cage is trying to do something new, mixing quick-time events, dark/gritty storyline & Sims gameplay into the cauldron of ambition... he is almost the Peter Molyneux of elitists.

Heavy Rain will be a fail more epic than Dreamfall and Fahrenheit combined. QTEs instead of actual gameplay? Check. Promotional images that try to look like move posters? Check. Pretentious claims that NPCs aren't NPCs, but "digital actors"? Check. I'm afraid that even the power of Cell is insufficient to process so much next-genness at once.

20795.jpg

I'm not really seeing Crysis being a classic. It's a mediocre game with pretty graphics...

Actually, I'm inclined to agree with your assessment, but many others don't see it that way. There's a cnsiderable body of PC gamers who love games that push their hyper-pimped gaming rigs to exhaustion and reward them with spectacular graphics. Crysis is definitely one of those, and I've seen it played on a top-end machine. It really does look great, and for that reason it might drop into a classic niche of it's own.

L4D, OTOH, really does refresh coop shooters and deserves to be remembered. Again, it's not really my bag, but you can see why it shines.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

People actually agreeing with me? I must be doing something wrong!

Someone suggested Prey, why?

Because it was much better than most of the shooters out there including and was underrated in my opinion. :p

It's pretty much Doom 3 with a few gimmicks like the spirit world and scripted portals that would have been cool if they weren't so scripted. It does absolutely nothing to differentiate itself from the billion other corridor shooters where you fight endless hoards of aliens.

Fahrenheit had some good ideas but the last third of the game is still a failure of hilarious proportions. If you take big risks, you risk failing epically.

I don't really want to complain about Dreamfall, it's not TLJ, but it's not some horrible abomination either.

Edited by Purkake

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy sold like 800,000 copies, which is gigantic for an adventure game. Sure, it had issues, but it was unique and it sold fantastically. That just doesn't spell failure for me.

And for me, the first half of the game was such a breath of fresh air that I am willing to overlook the lame ending.

I didn't say anything about failing financially. It was about having a great concept and then managing to screw it up by the end of the game.

Just as I can't look past BSG's crappy ending, I can't look past Fahrenheit's ending. It pretty much manages to undo anything cool that the first half does.

I don't think Heavy Rain will do very well financially, but it could be an interesting game(that I'll probably never play) IF they manage to learn something from Fahrenheit.

Edited by Purkake

Those are fantastic, creative games that go outside of the standard "shoot stuff" box that most games fall in.

Right. Except one of them ended on the most embarassing cliffhanger in the history of writing, and the other one just plain stopped making any sense half way through.

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy sold like 800,000 copies, which is gigantic for an adventure game. Sure, it had issues, but it was unique and it sold fantastically. That just doesn't spell failure for me.

Ad populum much?

20795.jpg

Heavy Rain will be based on the Fahrenheit formula, but vastly improved. And I don't get what people mean about "Heavy Rain is about QTE only". That's like saying Half Life is about pressing the left mouse button only.

Seriously, have you people watched the videos with Scott Shelby (the three outcomes). I know I liked what I saw.

It's pretty much Doom 3 with a few gimmicks...

Nope. Prey is much, much better than Doom 3 - in fact the third Doom is no where near as good as this "clone." -_-

Could you maybe elaborate on the greatness, instead of throwing out blanket statements one after another?

Edited by Purkake

Could you maybe elaborate on the greatness, instead of throwing out blanket statements one after another?

A) It wasn't boring.

B) It wasn't boring.

C) It actually was a decent game.

D) It pushed some limits (id est the child killing).

E) It wasn't boring.

-_-

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Thanks your arguments are both well thought out and explain your points perfectly.

If you don't want to talk about it, don't bring it up. I'm genuinely interested why you thought it should be considered a classic.

Edited by Purkake

The term "failure" is the issue here. Your definition is seems pretty narrow, basically any game with a bad ending seems to be labeled a failure.

I like KotOR 2, despite its ending.

But that is a personal opinion, which I am sure you will find people that agree with. But you will also find many people who disagree, because people have different expectations and experiences with a product.

Very :philosoraptor:.

The term failure has a broader definition though, and if you look at the facts, Fahrenheit is not a failure. It found success financially and critically, which is really all a video game needs to concern itself with, not your personal opinion.

More ad populum. Psychonauts was a commercial failure. God Hand got bashed by reviewers because of its difficulty and bombed financially. I guess that makes both of them failures.

Edited by H
20795.jpg