Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

Geez, I really hope they have an awesome into video that makes all that backstory sound cool, because the bits I've seen look like generic medieval fantasy #52617.

They can't possibly throw you into the world that your character is supposed to know without giving you the Ferelden 101, right?

"Gah, Dragon Age is just like DnD. How lame is that?"

"What? The dragons aren't just like DnD? What a cop-out!"

"Wow. This sounds all sounds like generic medieval fantasy. I bet all myths are true.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I just feel that they might have overdone the backstroy a bit. The average player is not going to read the novel or look stuff up on the web. Maria's explanation might just as well have been in Chinese. It's nice to have a backstory, but it should also be easily explainable.

Look at the Septerra Core

for example, it does an excellent job of introducing you to the pretty complex world. I really hope that DA can do something similar.

EDIT: My question was, how will I know all that my PC is supposed to know?

Edited by Purkake

Guest Slinky
I just feel that they might have overdone the backstroy a bit. The average player is not going to read the novel or look stuff up on the web. Maria's explanation might just as well have been in Chinese. It's nice to have a backstory, but it should also be easily explainable.

Look at the Septerra Core

for example, it does an excellent job of introducing you to the pretty complex world. I really hope that DA can do something similar.

EDIT: My question was, how will I know all that my PC is supposed to know?

Through manual, characters in game and the codex system.

Why not? Because DnD says otherwise?

Tyranthraxus.

I can't be the only one here that remembers the literally demon-possessed bronze dragon at the end of that game.

Geez, I really hope they have an awesome into video that makes all that backstory sound cool, because the bits I've seen look like generic medieval fantasy #52617.

They can't possibly throw you into the world that your character is supposed to know without giving you the Ferelden 101, right?

Explore around and you'll find people to talk to, as well as Codex entries and stuff like that. If you want to learn about the lore of the land, a lot of effort has been put into it for sure.

Explore around and you'll find people to talk to, as well as Codex entries and stuff like that. If you want to learn about the lore of the land, a lot of effort has been put into it for sure.

Sure, it's just funny to get told the things that my character is supposed to know already. I guess it's the best way to do a non-amnesiac character.

Yeah I agree.

They do find some creative ways of doing it though at some places, so it doesn't seem like someone is just lecturing you on the things that your character is already supposed to know. The two that I can think of are the Dalish Elf and Human Noble (the only other origin I am really familiar with is Mage Origin, and their situation is a bit different).

If the dragons aren't just mindless beasts to slaughter, I'll be happy.

Prepare to be dissapointed, Gaider has stated they are simply animals. And they have been driven to extinction so they arent even particularly hard to kill, proof being the video that shows as long as you have a tank on them they will gleefully ignore the mage nuking them. :)

If the dragons aren't just mindless beasts to slaughter, I'll be happy.

Prepare to be dissapointed, Gaider has stated they are simply animals. And they have been driven to extinction so they arent even particularly hard to kill, proof being the video that shows as long as you have a tank on them they will gleefully ignore the mage nuking them. :)

Was that the Flemeth fight?

Point being, though, that dragons in DnD could be all sorts of things besides "just" dragons. Demon-dragons, demon-possesses-dragon, half-dragons, godling's dragon form, mage-as-dragon, undead dragon/dracolich...

Just found it a sort of humourous comment a few pages back, someone suggesting (facetiously/sarcastically) that demonic possession of dragons wasn't a good idea because DnD didn't have it. From my perspective, there isn't much that DnD doesn't have.

That doesn't concern me regarding what's in DA:O, though. Am more concerned with whatever's in the DA:O lore being done well than I am with any given element being there at all. Darkspawn parallel orcs? Setting is too "generic"? *shrugs* So what? When I get into the background of the darkspawn in terms of lore, and when I get into the differences between darkspawn from a tactical perspective, the notion that they're used in vaguely the same way as orcs in DnD is going to mean precisely squat. From what I can tell, I'm going to waste a lot of gaming hours simply poking into the nooks and crannies of that lore. And that's precisely what I'm hoping for. I get that people want to play something New and Fresh, but... half the time I wonder whether they're looking in the wrong place, concentrating on the generalities to such an extent. Everything looks the same when you're gazing down at it from a mountaintop.

Guest Slinky
That doesn't concern me regarding what's in DA:O, though. Am more concerned with whatever's in the DA:O lore being done well than I am with any given element being there at all. Darkspawn parallel orcs? Setting is too "generic"? *shrugs* So what? When I get into the background of the darkspawn in terms of lore, and when I get into the differences between darkspawn from a tactical perspective, the notion that they're used in vaguely the same way as orcs in DnD is going to mean precisely squat. From what I can tell, I'm going to waste a lot of gaming hours simply poking into the nooks and crannies of that lore. And that's precisely what I'm hoping for. I get that people want to play something New and Fresh, but... half the time I wonder whether they're looking in the wrong place, concentrating on the generalities to such an extent. Everything looks the same when you're gazing down at it from a mountaintop.

I agree with you completely :)

I can't understand why people have so much trouble understanding that. I really don't get it. Are the people who see nothing good in anything bioware has shown or told about Dragon Age some die hard DnD fanatics who want everything be like in DnD? Or the complete opposite? Or do they just want everything to be just like THEY want them to be?

Where this endless whining comes from?

Could somebody enlighten me?

Edited by Slinky

Apparently I'm the only one who hasn't seen the violence trailer:
up till now.

Err, frankly, what were they trying to do with this? :)

I still like the beginning where Loghain's talking while the instrumental part plays.

From the depths of the human soul.

I can't understand why people have so much trouble understanding that. I really don't get it. Are the people who see nothing good in anything bioware has shown or told about Dragon Age some die hard DnD fanatics who want everything be like in DnD? Or the complete opposite? Or do they just want everything to be just like THEY want them to be?

God, I made one joking comment about the dragons being dragons and demons at the same time, then Oner said something about DnD and then we went on a tangent about the Babylonian goddess Tiamat.

Stop making stuff up, people.

Guest Slinky

I didn't point that rant of mine only to you, Purkake. Just read these DA threads over these forums. No matter what subject, somebody whines about it and it is starting to get on my nerves. The game is 2 months from release, nobody knows how good or bad it is.

Christ, like Maria earlier said, these forums are the complete opposite of bioware's forums. Over bioware it's "YEAAH perfect" about everything, here it's "NOOO that's horrible"

Atleast that's how I see it. :)

We have our fair share of Bioware fanboys, like Purkake and alanschu and Magical Volo. We take potshots at each other, but at the end of the day we all make out with each other anyway. You won't be seeing 40-page threads about the Bastila Lovers' Club or some nerds thinking the Dragon Age novel is actually halfway competent, though.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Guest Slinky
Set your expectations too high and you will be disappointed.

Yes, of course, but that doesn't mean you have to expect the absolute worst about everything..

but at the end of the day we all make out with each other anyway.

:)

mkay.. :lol: