Bioware/Bethesda appreciation thread

Obz, Bio and Beth are all dead meat to me... I do not enjoy any of their newer games...

But certainly you're gonna give AP a try? It's their first "real" game. No sequel, but their thing.

Nope, I find both the setting and the gameplay to be appalling...

I am not looking for pseudo-rpgs, yet it seems this is what the market offers these days... I am pretty disappointed with the way the rpg market has become. All I am looking for is to get a similar experience as in the IE games... To this date, among the most recent games, only NWN2 provided me this. I may give a try at Dragon Age but it will probably be the last Bio game I will be playing as the company is merely a shadow of its past glorious self.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Obz, Bio and Beth are all dead meat to me... I do not enjoy any of their newer games...

But certainly you're gonna give AP a try? It's their first "real" game. No sequel, but their thing.

I am not looking for pseudo-rpgs, yet it seems this is what the market offers these days... I am pretty disappointed with the way the rpg market has become. All I am looking for is to get a similar experience as in the IE games... To this date, among the most recent games, only NWN2 provided me this. I may give a try at Dragon Age but it will probably be the last Bio game I will be playing as the company is merely a shadow of its past glorious self.

I guess sitting in a corner, crying and cutting yourself while listening to Linkin Park is way more fun.

Edited by Purkake

I guess sitting in a corner, crying and cutting yourself while listening to Linkin Park is way more fun.

I have simply moved on from playing to RPGs to playing other games like Total War or adventure games. The RPG era has reached the end for me. There's simply no game that has managed to grasp my attention. I may try Mass effect trilogy when they release a triple combo pack in a few years but that's it. Moreover, don't count on me buying the next d&d game if it uses the dreaded 4E rules.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I not making anything tragic. I just don't like today's rpgs. You cannot deny that there has been a steady decline after 2000...

Actually there has, judging from my list. bear in mind it was never a large genre in the first place, but roughly its shrunk by at least 30%. That's speaking in terms of quantity of games released. In terms of quality it hasn't declined - its plummeted.

(counting full games only)

1998 - 5

1999 - 7

2000 - 14

2001 - 7

2002 - 11

2003 - 5

2004 - 9

2005 - 11

2006 - 6

2007 - 8

2008 - 7

2009 - 2 so far

Actually I take back what i said, in terms of quantity it has a rythm of sorts, a spike every few years, except for the last few.

Edit: it is deceptive though, all 2005 games are complete rubbish except for the Gothic Ii expansion as are the 2002 games (NWN and Morrowind are the highlights of that year... yay)

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

At least you appreciate being able to come here and rant about the experience? Right? :( Good ol' Ramza. I feel the same way about text adventures. Gone completely downhill over the past several years.

There was a website which collected all kinds of indie text adventures and some of them were supposedly pretty awesome.

If there's any game genre that hasn't declined, it's the chess software. Even grandmasters get their asses handed to them by computers nowadays. Programs like Fritz are so advanced that they even come with their own 'taunt' function when you make crap moves.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

If there's any game genre that hasn't declined, it's the chess software. Even grandmasters get their asses handed to them by computers nowadays. Programs like Fritz are so advanced that they even come with their own 'taunt' function when you make crap moves.

They might just as well give up on chess.

The next big thing is GO, which has so many possible combinations that it won't be solved for a while now.

"Mind you, that's a man that considers NWN series "the best ever". "

K. Must explain why I rated NWN OC 75%, called SOU overrated, and HOTU as good but far from 'best ever'. Why do people feel the need to lie, and make up fairy tales? :)

Your sig...

That's hilarious. Yeah, people lie and make up fairy tales! It's so bad you can't even trust your own signature!!

Dumb doesn't even begin to describe it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"Mind you, that's a man that considers NWN series "the best ever". "

K. Must explain why I rated NWN OC 75%, called SOU overrated, and HOTU as good but far from 'best ever'. Why do people feel the need to lie, and make up fairy tales? :)

Your sig...

That's hilarious. Yeah, people lie and make up fairy tales! It's so bad you can't even trust your own signature!!

Dumb doesn't even begin to describe it.

He did get me there. I was at a loss for what to say.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Bioware/Bethesda appreciation thread, Let's think positive.

Want to rant go start a rant thread provided its kept civil.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

"That's hilarious. Yeah, people lie and make up fairy tales! It's so bad you can't even trust your own signature!!

Dumb doesn't even begin to describe it."

Still crying?

Think the NWN series is 'the best' does not neccessarily mean you think it has the 'best writing' and since we're disucssing writing, and writing was the issue. Plus, the NWN series wasn't just made by BIO. It includes the Obsidian developed NWN2 so all this proves is I like BIO, and Obsidian both. *shrug*

Use. your. brain. crybaby.

And, oh. As for 'dumb', it takes one to know one. L0L0L0L0LLIGAG!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Even though say that NWN1 was crap, my overall experience with it was quite enjoyable. The OC and both expansions (which were ok), the fan-made modules (which gave a whole new dimension to the game) and the online gaming (persistent worlds mainly) kept me busy for hundreds of hours and plenty of years which is something no game has achieved so far.

Moreover, the fact that you controlled only one character was the little thing that brought the game closer to the p&p experience. NWN2 was nice with its little parties of 4-6 characters but I admit that I grew tired of all the micro-management. NWN1 was more satisfying on this issue.

Just as the Codex says, developers these days just talk about "dark, mature and gritty" games and "new-generation" gameplay. This is nonsense. The old recipes worked just fine and would not have alienated the core fanbase (which I am part of).

If Obz decided to produce BG3 or TBH, I would be supporting them 100%, but their most recent projects are simply bleh... Same goes for the other companies...

Moreover, the fact that you controlled only one character was the little thing that brought the game closer to the p&p experience.

It was also the huge thing that turned NWN single player into a horribly boring experience.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Moreover, the fact that you controlled only one character was the little thing that brought the game closer to the p&p experience.

It was also the huge thing that turned NWN single player into a horribly boring experience.

If the henchmen were better done, this wouldn't have been a problem. You should have been able to control them just like in NWN2 but without being able to control their level up choices.