Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Drag Me to Hell

Considering all the buzz and decent reviews, plus the fact I usually like Sam Raimi...this was a very pedestrian horror movie. Not scary, either psychologically or visually, terrible acting-the vapid main gal was not sympathetic and bad acting that has no 'cheese' value is just bad. :lol: Completely predictable and largely boring. There were a few mildly entertaining scenes and I did like the male fortune teller chr. but overall....zzzzzzzz. Mr. Raimi, I'm disappointed in you.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If there was cheese, it didn't seem very intentional. Except the goat...I'll admit that. But 1 goat scene doesn't a cheese horror-comedy make, for me.

All I know is for 99% of the movie, I sat with a neutral, bored expression that never wavered. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not a movie but a tv horror series; Harper's Island. Not quite sure why I continued watching the entire thing because it had an over abundance what makes all horror movies unwatchable and that is the complete lack of intelligence in any characters, including the killer. Essentially its Scream on an island. The first half of the series was watchable and some of the kills were relatively cool but the last 3-4 episodes were just painful to watch. The drama and characters were horrible and their motivations were usually horrendously retarded. Well shot movie and the island looks like a place I'd like to go but other than that the experience was pretty dismal.

Harper's Island gets a D+

I also finished watching another tv series called Defying Gravity. You know you can fool me with the whole trinity of whores thing and even the

aliens

but the old child rapist turned dog rescuer trick is the oldest one in the book. Your so lucky you got Ron Livingston and you use his narration frequently because for the the latter part of the series its complete trash.

Defying Gravity: Season 1 gets a generous C+

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Might as well give it a shot. But when you get towards the end and it feels like things couldn't get much worse....that's when its time to stop because it does get worse.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

If there was cheese, it didn't seem very intentional. Except the goat...I'll admit that. But 1 goat scene doesn't a cheese horror-comedy make, for me.

All I know is for 99% of the movie, I sat with a neutral, bored expression that never wavered. :aiee:

Oh come on, all the scenes with the old gypsy lady are hilarious. Like when her dentures fly out and she tries to gum her to death! And when her eyes pop out in a wonderful display of Looney Tunes application in horror. This movie was cheese all over, and it had to have been intentional because Sam Raimi referred to this as a horror comedy over and over.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Maybe the problem is there was no Bruce Campbell and the cheese was not over the top cheesy enough, nor satirical enough to amuse me. The gypsy slobbery gumming just made me go "ewwww" and feel slightly queasy. Not funny. :aiee:

Well, to each it's own I guess. It had everything I wanted. Although Evil Dead II is still miles better.

Just watched the international trailer for James Cameron's Avatar. The teaser didn't do much for me, but this was just goddamned awesomesauce. Except the line "This... is OUR LAND!" That just gave me 300 flashbacks.

Well, to each it's own I guess. It had everything I wanted. Although Evil Dead II is still miles better.

Just watched the international trailer for James Cameron's Avatar. The teaser didn't do much for me, but this was just goddamned awesomesauce. Except the line "This... is OUR LAND!" That just gave me 300 flashbacks.

Not to mention it isn't his land.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Proposal was terrible. I was expecting at least a passable romantic-comedy with the always (to me) endearing Ms. Bullock, but no. No chemistry between her and the male lead and the romance aspect was so mildly developed that the inevitable coming together was unbelievable, even for a romantic movie.

Rewatched Music & Lyrics and While You Were Sleeping, which are two romantic comedies that work. Much better. :thumbsup:

Anyone else think the aliens looked a little goofy, the CGI a little dodgy ?. I suppose there is still post production, and that it might not be what it will look like, but still.

Aliens goofy yes, CG dodgy no. The CG was some of the best I've seen.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I watched the first season (all six episodes!!) of Eastbound & Down, starring Danny McBride as Kenny ****ing Powers. I found it hilarious. HBO is on to something with this one. Those bastards.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I watched the first season (all six episodes!!) of Eastbound & Down, starring Danny McBride as Kenny ****ing Powers. I found it hilarious. HBO is on to something with this one. Those bastards.

I couldn't get into it. Maybe it's the whole "educators as complete tards" angle that he really pushes.

I couldn't get into it. Maybe it's the whole "educators as complete tards" angle that he really pushes.

I used to work in the education department at my last school and got to see a lot of the next generation of teachers as well as applications for current ones. It was scary. But hey you're a smart chap so no problem. Well I guess I should mention that the majority of my teachers have been pretty good with the exception of maybe one. I remember she was sitting on a desk and fell over and gave a kid a straight view right into the depths of her woman abyss. She was kind of hot but dumb. I miss high school......hmm maybe not.

Edited by theslug

Anyone else think the aliens looked a little goofy, the CGI a little dodgy ?. I suppose there is still post production, and that it might not be what it will look like, but still.

Aliens goofy yes, CG dodgy no. The CG was some of the best I've seen.

First time I saw the trailer to Avatar I actually believed they were making some wierd WoW/Starcraft mixfilm.. :o They look like nightelves..

Fortune favors the bald.

The Proposal was terrible. I was expecting at least a passable romantic-comedy with the always (to me) endearing Ms. Bullock, but no. No chemistry between her and the male lead and the romance aspect was so mildly developed that the inevitable coming together was unbelievable, even for a romantic movie.

Rewatched Music & Lyrics and While You Were Sleeping, which are two romantic comedies that work. Much better. :o

Plus the fact that the endearing Ms. Bullock wasn't endearing in this movie at all.

Ryan Reynolds was pretty funny though. I don't know why he gets so much hate. Sure he picks a lot of terrible parts, but he's always the best thing in those films.

A conversation started about wretchedly bad films in the Fallout 3 thread, and I thought I'd comment here as it is closed.

I agree on Waterworld. It was so bad it actually ruined The Postman's chances of success, which is a film I thought was pretty good. He spent a ton of money on an epic, and it was just super meh.

I don't really get the 300 hate though, I thought it was a very fun stylized action movie. The over the top visuals and buckets of blood made it feel like a video game, and I thought it succeeded at what it wanted to be.

Transformers 1 = Good.

Transformers 2 = Bad.

But seriously, like GI Joe, any movie based on a toy line is aiming pretty low in terms of artistic merit, and so I never go in expecting an epic, so I wouldn't throw the wretchedly bad sticker on them.

Paranormal Activity

Total and utter crap. Filmed in "shaky cam" and consisting of 85.5 minutes of mind-numbing-praying-for-the-sweet-release-of-death, punctuated with an ending 30 seconds of scary.

lol. You mean you weren't so terrified that you crapped your pants and ran sobbing into the lobby? :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

A conversation started about wretchedly bad films in the Fallout 3 thread, and I thought I'd comment here as it is closed.

I agree on Waterworld. It was so bad it actually ruined The Postman's chances of success, which is a film I thought was pretty good. He spent a ton of money on an epic, and it was just super meh.

I don't really get the 300 hate though, I thought it was a very fun stylized action movie. The over the top visuals and buckets of blood made it feel like a video game, and I thought it succeeded at what it wanted to be.

Transformers 1 = Good.

Transformers 2 = Bad.

But seriously, like GI Joe, any movie based on a toy line is aiming pretty low in terms of artistic merit, and so I never go in expecting an epic, so I wouldn't throw the wretchedly bad sticker on them.

Maybe my epectations for 300 were too high? I don't know; they were ground-scrapingly low to begin with.

I don't see much if any difference between Waterworld and 300.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.