Command and Conquer 4

Official Site

Official Press Release

EA LOS ANGELES ANNOUNCES THE DEVELOPMENT OF COMMAND & CONQUER 4

Next Game in the Best-Selling Real-Time-Strategy Series Will Reveal the Epic Conclusion of the Tiberium Saga

Los Angeles, California, July 9, 2009

Behold disciples of Nod, the end is soon upon us. Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that, after almost 15 years and 30 million games sold, EALA is bringing the award-winning Tiberium series to an epic conclusion with Command & Conquer

No mention of the Scrin at all? Were they retconned?

I have to admit I liked CNC3 a bunch. It's too bad they're apparently going to use the co-op mechanics from Red Alert 3. Too often I found myself capable of just sitting around turtling while my AI teammate went off and killed everybody in the mission, OR my teammate would be completely ineffectual in a mission, except as a distraction. So it didn't work very well in the single-player portion of the game, which is all I intend to play.

Looking forward to seeing which C-list actors have signed on for the cinematics.

Matthew Rorie

CNC3 was a bit too Warcraft-with-tanks for me.

So even though I love RTS games, this is a bit meh for me. Red Alert remains the pinnacle of the C&C universe as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

No mention of the Scrin at all? Were they retconned?

I have to admit I liked CNC3 a bunch. It's too bad they're apparently going to use the co-op mechanics from Red Alert 3. Too often I found myself capable of just sitting around turtling while my AI teammate went off and killed everybody in the mission, OR my teammate would be completely ineffectual in a mission, except as a distraction. So it didn't work very well in the single-player portion of the game, which is all I intend to play.

Yeah, the campaign in RA3 often felt like a skirmish game, and unless the mission had very specific objectives, the allied AIs performed relatively well. Hopefully they will improve on that formula and allow the player to choose whether they want an annoying co-commander for the mission or not.

And the Scrin were not bad as the enemy, but the playable campaign was total balls.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's just bizarre that they haven't been mentioned at all except for one tiny portion of the GameSpot QA. I thought they were interesting enemies, and moreover were an interesting addition to the storyline. But it seems like they're being heavily de-emphasized, unless they're saving them for a reveal down the line.

Matthew Rorie

Absolutely. I really didn't like the Co-op play although I never played with another human player. The AI was really annoying and would often get in my way by stealing all the maps resources, or just be way to effective at blocking the enemy. There were too many missions where the enemy would focus on the AI player to the exclusion of the player that you could literally sit there without building anything and have the AI player beat the map for you. My favourite mission had to be from the Soviet campaign where

you are on a small island completely surrounded by the Allies and the soviet general the defected

mainly because despite the fact that the allied AI kept building something just as I was about to place a building, the mission actually required you to work because the constant attacks would completely destroy the ally and the only way to expand required getting a foothold on the mainland that was totally occupied.

Absolutely. I really didn't like the Co-op play although I never played with another human player. The AI was really annoying and would often get in my way by stealing all the maps resources, or just be way to effective at blocking the enemy. There were too many missions where the enemy would focus on the AI player to the exclusion of the player that you could literally sit there without building anything and have the AI player beat the map for you. My favourite mission had to be from the Soviet campaign where

you are on a small island completely surrounded by the Allies and the soviet general the defected

mainly because despite the fact that the allied AI kept building something just as I was about to place a building, the mission actually required you to work because the constant attacks would completely destroy the ally and the only way to expand required getting a foothold on the mainland that was totally occupied.

RA3 would have benefitted from the removal of the "everything is Co-op!" gameplay. Mainly because this would have allowed them to give more varied missions because the AI programming for certain mission types would be insane.

As to C&C4, it sounds like their de-emphasis on the Scrin is going to tie into the whole Kane thing. But the story takes place 15 years after tiberium wars, so that may mean that the scrin are going to have been beaten out in the intervening years. From the screenshots it looks like the Mammoth is once again a walker...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"While we can only really speak to Command & Conquer 4 at this time, it is safe to say that the conclusion of the Tiberium saga is not the end of the Tiberium Universe as a whole."

Can you say Scrin spinoff?

"While we can only really speak to Command & Conquer 4 at this time, it is safe to say that the conclusion of the Tiberium saga is not the end of the Tiberium Universe as a whole."

Can you say Scrin spinoff?

I guess they have to take into account the need to have an expansion pack. I bet the Scrin will come back for that.

Matthew Rorie

There's also a GameSpot QA:

The most interesting quote from there...

As a nice side effect, since C&C4 requires players to be online all the time in order to prevent cheating, we'll be shipping without any form of DRM.

And nowhere mentioned if you are forced to be online to play singleplayer scenarios...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

As a nice side effect, since C&C4 requires players to be online all the time in order to prevent cheating, we'll be shipping without any form of DRM.

And nowhere mentioned if you are forced to be online to play singleplayer scenarios...

*thinks* well if they copy RA3 you'll be forced to be online the ENTIRE time you're playing it.

*thinks* well if they copy RA3 you'll be forced to be online the ENTIRE time you're playing it.

oh yeah... *moves to another thread, nothing to see here anymore*

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well, glad to see they're bringing it to an end. Hope it's better than RA3, it was fun, but the resource system and the SP campaign were disappointing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I am glad they are bringing back the walker units for GDI, while i did enjoy C&C3 i did miss the futuristic units like the wolverine and the Titan. Lets face it a Mammoth mk 2 by itself wasn't very impressive, but if we can make multiple like the screen shot implies then they will be back on my love list.

I am glad they are bringing back the walker units for GDI, while i did enjoy C&C3 i did miss the futuristic units like the wolverine and the Titan. Lets face it a Mammoth mk 2 by itself wasn't very impressive, but if we can make multiple like the screen shot implies then they will be back on my love list.

yeah, that was the bad thing about Tib Sun, they had hard caps on the armor units :thumbsup:

yeah, that was the bad thing about Tib Sun, they had hard caps on the armor units :thumbsup:

There were also too many missions where you couldn't build a base, i know the need to toss in something different to make it exciting and i LOVED the map and the option of choosing to do a side mission to make the main mission easier but some of them were just frustrating.

I know it is too much to wish for to bring back the map and side missions but i really wish EA would.

Also making the Mammoth MK 2 not suck would be awesome, it was too cool a unit to be ignored.

Also making the Mammoth MK 2 not suck would be awesome, it was too cool a unit to be ignored.

Oh yeah. It was real cool. Until it decided to try crossing a frozen river instead of using the concrete bridge right next to it. >_<

Oh yeah. It was real cool. Until it decided to try crossing a frozen river instead of using the concrete bridge right next to it. :(

Yeah the pathfinding in Tib Sun was a bit retarded, the game had tons of flaws but it had a really good concept and the things it did well it did amazingly....though the things it did poorly it really did poorly. Thankfully it had more of the good then the bad.

Oh yeah. It was real cool. Until it decided to try crossing a frozen river instead of using the concrete bridge right next to it. :(

Yeah the pathfinding in Tib Sun was a bit retarded, the game had tons of flaws but it had a really good concept and the things it did well it did amazingly....though the things it did poorly it really did poorly. Thankfully it had more of the good then the bad.

*remembers perfectly accurate REALLY long range you-have-to-loose-something-to-kill-this artillery that nod got*

*remembers perfectly accurate REALLY long range you-have-to-loose-something-to-kill-this artillery that nod got*

Orca Bombers! Whee! :(

If they are stupid enough to not have AA units. Otherwise, yeah, you're screwed.

Edited by Deraldin

Oh yeah. It was real cool. Until it decided to try crossing a frozen river instead of using the concrete bridge right next to it. :)

yeah i remember those, and the expantion got GDI the craptacular Juggernaut which missed 75% of the time. NOD Artillery was vastly overpowered, fun when you had them though.

Ah Orca bombers, i remember spamming those, build tons and AA doesn't matter anymore. like 5 of them will blast away entire regions of the enemy base, it was grand.

those artillery units were crazily powerful\

i used to set a few up around my base and force attack the ground to break it up and make little craters - so everytime they've try and attack me they'd be slowed to a crawl while the artillery pounded the hell outta them

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

those artillery units were crazily powerful\

i used to set a few up around my base and force attack the ground to break it up and make little craters - so everytime they've try and attack me they'd be slowed to a crawl while the artillery pounded the hell outta them

Yeah a bunch of the artillery plus a few Obelisks of Light and your base was pretty much safe from ground attacks