What are the best places to travel in europe this summer 2009?

nuocmy89

Starting the trip off in geneva, and looking to go to germany possible austria and maybe parts of eastern europe.. 4 of us are students so budget is tight, but also looking to have fun i.e if they're any good festivals or cheap gigs going on. We're only travelling for 10 days so we're looking to see the best of the best. Heat factor and train prices will also be a factor

New Zealand also comes highly recommended. Although it's like the Eastern Europe of Oceania. Or perhaps more like the Portugal of Oceania.

How many mods have I ticked off so far? I count at least two. :thumbsup:

Anyway in both Aus and NZ, exchange rates are favourable for Europeans atm, and air fares will probably never be this cheap again. Same applies to prices across the tourism industry in general.

If Britain and Ireland can be part of Europe I don't see why we can't!

From Germany your route should include Northern Italy (I'd love to say Venice, but not that time of year), The Dolomites, Austria and then Slovenia (check out Trieste on the way)

Slovenia is utterly beautiful and, it has to be said, good value for money for the budget-conscious traveller.

Ten days is pushing this itinerary, but it's worth it.

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Thinking about it, if you want a less rural, outdoorsy adventure you could just hot-foot it to Prague instead, which is a marvellous place to spend a few days in the Summer.

London is a must, but too out of the way for your arrival point. Rome is too far south. Berlin is groovier than a groovy thing but too far north. Prague it is.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Guest PoziomyPion

You just missed a big festival in Poland, Heineken Opener Festival. Lots of good artists performed: Basement Jaxx,Duffy, The Kooks, Moby,FAITH NO MORE, Pendulum, Lily ALlen , Placebo, THe Prodigy ,The Ting Tings and many other Polish artists(the good ones :) ). The festival is in Gdynia you could quite easly go from there to other countries . But Opener ended last Sunday :sorcerer:

http://www.opener.pl/pl/info/lineup_04062009_pl

Edited by PoziomyPion

I'd say Holland and Sweden, for my money. I guess it depends a lot on what you want to get out of it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm pretty sure the OP is a bot.

That occured to me too, but it was an interesting topic anyway.. I'll just remove the link.. :)

I thought so too, even checked out the link, but no amount of trying revealed anything being promoted/solicited/sold/advertised :)

As Rosjerg said, interesting topic :)

I would love to visit London during summer time (having always been there during winter for some reason), otherwise I am partial to southern Europe (the Canary Islands, the Greek Islands, the Baleares etc.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

England is great as long as you don't intend to eat. haha Seriously, though, I was not impressed by the food there. Except English breakfasts, of course. Mind, you're risking your health eating one, as each has a 50/50 chance of causing a heart attack because of all the fatty foods, but it's still good stuff! I've only been the England in Europe, so I can't really comment. If you head to Asia or the US, I have a lot of places I can suggest! Oh, and London is a metropolitan city, so you can find good food there, if somewhat on the expensive side. If you head to London, see the Elgin Marbles.

I'll be visiting France at the end of this year/early next year, though, so let me know if there's any place specifically I should see.

England is great as long as you don't intend to eat. haha Seriously, though, I was not impressed by the food there. Except English breakfasts, of course. Mind, you're risking your health eating one, as each has a 50/50 chance of causing a heart attack because of all the fatty foods, but it's still good stuff! I've only been the England in Europe, so I can't really comment. If you head to Asia or the US, I have a lot of places I can suggest! Oh, and London is a metropolitan city, so you can find good food there, if somewhat on the expensive side. If you head to London, see the Elgin Marbles.

I'll be visiting France at the end of this year/early next year, though, so let me know if there's any place specifically I should see.

Like several rare cliches this is perfectly true. 95% of English food is absolute balls. We eat any old rubbish and smile politely when we do. Mind you, its kind of symptomatic of the whole corporate serf mentality people have here.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If I liked fish and chips more, I think I would have enjoyed it quite a bit. I met a friend there, a displaced Aussie, who explained to me how the English fish is inferior to Australian fish. Of course, this same fellow, meeting me in the US, told me how bad American coffee is. It actually was more funny than offensive, I assure you.

If I liked fish and chips more, I think I would have enjoyed it quite a bit. I met a friend there, a displaced Aussie, who explained to me how the English fish is inferior to Australian fish. Of course, this same fellow, meeting me in the US, told me how bad American coffee is. It actually was more funny than offensive, I assure you.

I can assure you that Aussie coffee is nothing to write home about. Significant amounts of Malt Whiskey and whipped cream are to be considered essential supplements ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I can assure you that Aussie coffee is nothing to write home about. Significant amounts of Malt Whiskey and whipped cream are to be considered essential supplements ;)

I think that's characteristic of coffee in general.

Tea is most certainly where it's at.

I have been to Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Holland, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Lichenstein, Great Britain, Italy, and San Marino throughout my lifetime, and i still can't say that i have "experienced Europe" as a whole.

I still wish to experience Greece, Spain, Iceland, Russia and maybe Poland, and the rest of the baltics.

My advice? Take a year off and travel by train through the whole continent.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think that's characteristic of coffee in general.
Once you try Italian espresso, you'll never want to go back. For them brewing coffee is something of a ritual... and it shows.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I haven't had really proper fish and chips since I left the North. The good places still fry in beef or pork fat.

Plus there are a lot of good English recipes. it's just that no-one really uses them any more. You can't get the herbs or the meat in sainsburys supermarket. Or, more importantly, the time in the day.

-Elwood Blues

I've always wanted to travel around Europe staying in old castles. Unfortunately barring a lottery win, I probably have a couple decades to go before that will be a realistic vacation.

Seeing how many Europeans there are on this board I think it would be relatively easy for you to get cheap/free lodgings all over the continent, even if it ain't castles.. I know I'd offer my couch to anyone from the Obz boards, if they came 'round these parts..

Besides it's really only in France that it's somewhat payable to live castles..

Fortune favors the bald.