Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Fionavar

For me, the fact that everything is so disconnected is one of the biggest problems with FO3. Every quest is like its own little isolated minigame. It may even be interesting, but if it doesn't affect anything outside its own little minigame space, then it never really amounts to much. At least for me.

and BINGO was his name-o!

But he wasn't that important really... In Fallout if you anger the Overseer, your game is essentially over.

In Planescape if you anger mildly annoy "Pen" in the print shop~ he kicks you out and you never get back in :p

Yeah, I got a taste of the overseers's dual-wielding minigun justice in my first playthrough. I was like, "OK, that's not a good idea." :lol:

I remember irritating that bone collector guy in PS:T also. Not a good idea either.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This is getting annoying, and I imagine that our Obsidian hosts are getting annoyed at us as well. Do you folks really need to come over here with all your Beth bashing? Isn't it enough that you trash the Beth boards?

I'm out until a real F: NV discussion starts. You two can keep it up if you like. Have fun.

I'd like to point out the inherent hilarity of your join date vs. the content of the above post.

And yeah, disjointed and disconnected seems to be Fallout: Capital Wasteland's first, middle and last names.

I'm sure we are not bashing any companies, especially those who are or may be associated with Obsidian's business past, present and future.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

[ Rather than a bunch of disconnected "Be Evil? Be Good?" moments.

For me, the fact that everything is so disconnected is one of the biggest problems with FO3. Every quest is like its own little isolated minigame. It may even be interesting, but if it doesn't affect anything outside its own little minigame space, then it never really amounts to much. At least for me.

Yep. It reminded me of a MMO, with all the quest hubs being insular playgrounds, although that might be my WoW conditioned mind showing ill effects :p It was one cool thing about Fallout 2 how the towns' quests would link with each other (Bishop and Vault City, etc).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I hope dogmeat is in FO Vegas

The original Dogmeat must have got around.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas is a good thing, imo. I hope this ensures that the quality of the writing will be very well done, great dialogue, more than avarage characters and character interaction.

As for the ongoing discussion, let me say that I bought Fallout 3 (it was on sale for

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I don't know what all of this anti-VATS is all about. Its nothing different compared to the other first three games targeted shot in turn base. VATS makes Fallout 3 good.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

I'm sure we are not bashing any companies, especially those who are or may be associated with Obsidian's business past, present and future.

whaaaat....???? never!

Just a repeat of the rules, which I am sure everyone has read when they signed up here.

Trolling: Trolling is also not allowed in regard to other gaming companies, their employees or moderators. We've worked and continue to work with various people at many game companies, and it is not within the spirit of our forums to allow disrespectful posts about other company's policies, employees, or moderators. It's OK to say you don't like a game, but referring to another company's employees or the company itself is simply not be tolerated here. Posts which intentionally attack another game company and/or it's employees will be deleted and the member censured accordingly

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

I don't know what all of this anti-VATS is all about.

Speaking for me only, I found VATS to be very static. If I am playing an FPS, then I like to be able to move, strafe, jump, run, take cover. FO3 is enough of an FPS that I found VATS quite dull and repetitive.

If there had been more tactical choices in VATS I might have enjoyed it more.

The RT combat wasn't good either, but at least it wasn't in slow motion.

Concerning the original FOs: I am not a huge fan of their combat, but the targeted shot interfcae was a quick proces. And the game dynamics were already static, so that didn't matter nearly so much.

That'st my personal take though.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't know what all of this anti-VATS is all about. Its nothing different compared to the other first three games targeted shot in turn base. VATS makes Fallout 3 good.

I'm not against VATS, I'm enjoying it :p --- I still feel it could have been done better though. As it is now, it just seems like a glorified bullet time combat system - similar to the one found in Max Payne (the game, not the movie)

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I'm not against VATS, I'm enjoying it :p --- I still feel it could have been done better though. As it is now, it just seems like a glorified bullet time combat system - similar to the one found in Max Payne (the game, not the movie)

They should have included targeted shots to the eyes and groin like the originals, with a small percent to hit considering how small they are. Eye shots would be instant kills naturally so the percentage of hitting would have to be very low.

I will admit VATS is over the top at times. A head shot with a BB gun isn't going to make the head and limbs blow off on a critical. :lol:

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Well, I don't know... If you're saying that any criticism of a game and/or the company's style is "bashing" then we might be doing that. :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I would say that it is... Remember that in Fallout 1, and Fallout 2, AP's were finite, and stat/perk dependent. Aimed shots were an expensive option (expensive in time ~which is what AP's represent).

The player could choose to invest in an aimed shot or choose a different action, and there was the option of ending your turn, which raised your Armorclass 1 point for each unspent AP (two points with the right perks).

Fallout 3's VATS is merely an aimed shot, using APs' that regenerate (IE using time that regenerates !!!?)

Its meant to resemble, but does not really work the same or offer the same.

Edit:

*That they are both [strictly speaking] aimed shots is true [i misread your post at first], but VATS does not really come at a cost like the aimed option in Fallout, and the player never ~ever need worry about using something that's totally free. ~also the AP's are worthless after VATS is exited.

Edited by Gizmo

It's a pure action game with a called shot system glued to it which gives you free shots and essentially breaks the gameplay. And worse it was tacked on with only two goals: to appease the turn based crowd and to allow for the slomo gore. Fallout 3 would have been a better game without it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's a pure action game with a called shot system glued to it which gives you free shots and essentially breaks the gameplay. And worse it was tacked on with only two goals: to appease the turn based crowd and to allow for the slomo gore. Fallout 3 would have been a better game without it.

Can I get an AMEN!

Still if Obs can improve it, that would help.

I don't have anything against VATS since I haven't played FO3, but I'm just wondering how useful it actually is. I mean, couldn't they have just opted for making actually good shooting mechanics with location-based damage? Is it really mainly for Hades players who can't aim?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I don't have anything against VATS since I haven't played FO3, but I'm just wondering how useful it actually is. I mean, couldn't they have just opted for making actually good shooting mechanics with location-based damage? Is it really mainly for Hades players who can't aim?

PHEAR the werewolfs

bigger is better

Not really. FO3 had a big world, filled with a vast nothingness of similar tunnels, corridors and caves. I rather it big smaller and more unique, and that they concentrate on gameplay fixes and writng.

Also making better quests

\Hey, I can aim. Especially with a nice sniper rifle, but I personally like VATS that allows me to play with my enemies. Cripple a leg here and there, shoot a grenade in midflight or in someone's hand, and the like. Also the enemies still move and shoot back in VATS, just at the slomo speeds.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."