Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Fionavar

There's one thing I would love to see come back with Fallout:NV and that's Tim Cain's head as the icon. =[

Given that he's not at Obsidian, that wouldn't really be appropriate.

I know. It was more of a joke. Not like a funny haha joke, but more of a look to the past.

how common is it that NPC's lie to you

I don't know, I've never kept track of the amount of times people lie to me in any game. Anyway, F3 is full of dishonest, untrustworthy folks.

That's the problem, The PC never has reason to feel bad about anything

That's simply not true. Whether or not a player feels bad about anything depends on the individual. It should be up to the player how they interpret events, the game shouldn't try to force them to feel a certain way.

Does anything like it ever happen in Fallout 3?

It has been too long since I played, only just restarting now. Have you played F3?

The Tenpenny Towers quest is pretty much exactly what you seem to want, the player completes a quest, brings two factions together with no loss of life, but the player ends up getting duped and one factions wipes out the other.

That's no excuse to dismiss having one.

Er, you've completely lost me here, having one what?

An artist does what they can with what they have available... Give an artist the freedom to tax the engine with one model, and stand back in awe... :p

A good artist will never need to tax the engine, they'll work within the limits they've been given.

The Tenpenny Towers quest is pretty much exactly what you seem to want, the player completes a quest, brings two factions together with no loss of life, but the player ends up getting duped and one factions wipes out the other.

But that was painfully;y obvious, hell if you actually listen to the main ghoul's dialog he basically tells you what's going to happen. :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

. Moira's face now looks like a ghoul. but hey! you can still complete her quest! wheeee! go Bethesda! this is the problem of their "Oblivio(ous)ness".

Really? Even if you blow up Megaton you can still complete Moira's quests? ANd still shop with her and stuff?

Yes, she just turns into a ghoul and moves into the Underworld.

How convenient.

If Simms get killed by Burke, his son will give you the reward for disarming the bomb instead. I'm glad he is doing that instead of vrying over his dead father gunned down in a bar.

Isn't it neat how Bethesda has all the angles covered?

Would it make any difference to you? Yes, ithat's exactly the way it is, and yes, it should have been done better. Does that make fallout 3 poopy?

EDIT:

Let me add this, before this starts a flame war: I'm not here to defend FO3...I tend to do enough of that on the beth forums. I figure most Obsidian fans are going to dislike beth games, so no surprise.

I am here to talk about F:NV thought, and maybe we can do taht without trash Beth games. Everyone here probably knows the problems with FO3/Oblivion already.

Edited by Kjarista

Would it make any difference to you? Yes, ithat's exactly the way it is, and yes, it should have been done better. Does that make fallout 3 poopy?

In the category of choice and consequence, yes.

One would hope that Obsidian can do better. That's the point of Beth approaching Obsidian to do a Fallout, don't you think?

Does that make fallout 3 poopy?

Nope.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, posed like that, yes, yes it does.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A good artist will never need to tax the engine, they'll work within the limits they've been given.
No one will ever need more than 640k

(or 16 color EGA :p)

What I said in my last post meant, 'Give the artist more freedom, and they'll likely do more with it.'

An artist might do good work in 4-bit color @ 19x13 pixels, but they can do better in 8-bit @ 38x26.

The same holds true with 3d models ~if you don't believe... visit the Z-Brush forum and check out the galleries.

*My point was that Fallout had the pattern set for using relatively low detail game sprites with relatively high detail heads; Fallout three did not follow the pattern. Its standard game models could have been paired with something really astounding even in this day and age... but it didn't happen (yet).

Edited by Gizmo

What a surprise. maybe I'll ignore you here as well.

Point is, no game is perfect, and some otherwise good games suffer from large flaws. Obsidian fans should know that just a swell as we Beth fans. The most exciting thing about all of this is, perhaps between the two of them, we can manage to get a stellar game.

Point is, no game is perfect, and some otherwise good games suffer from large flaws. Obsidian fans should know that just a swell as we Beth fans. The most exciting thing about all of this is, perhaps between the two of them, we can manage to get a stellar game.

Heh so what did you want as a response then ? It does detract from the game. I know seeing Amata's reaction to my slaying of her father was underwhelming, although that was more VA related than anything (I'd expected her to try to kill me though).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Heh so what did you want as a response then ? It does detract from the game. I know seeing Amata's reaction to my slaying of her father was underwhelming, although that was more VA related than anything (I'd expected her to try to kill me though).

Are you interested in this new game, or are you grinding old axes?

Are you interested in this new game, or are you grinding old axes?

How that's relevant, I have no idea. Amusing though.

It does detract from the game. I know seeing Amata's reaction to my slaying of her father was underwhelming, although that was more VA related than anything (I'd expected her to try to kill me though).
That's nothing... You can beat her to "death" a dozen times, and each time she gets up (after a while), she'll still offer to help you (while surrounded in a room smeared in her own blood).

~Some will say, that its necessary for the plot, but I say that the plot should not have been hinged upon players playing nice, and there should have been three options to account for the unexpected instead of just the one.

(Four if you include Failure to escape).

Edited by Gizmo

That's nothing... You can beat her to "death" a dozen times, and each time she gets up (after a while), she'll still offer to help you

That didn't really bother me. Many games are "forgiving" of player actions in the tutorial sections. I was actually pleasantly surprised that I was allowed to kill the overseer in the first place.

The guy was a total jerkface though.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This is getting annoying, and I imagine that our Obsidian hosts are getting annoyed at us as well. Do you folks really need to come over here with all your Beth bashing? Isn't it enough that you trash the Beth boards?

I'm out until a real F: NV discussion starts. You two can keep it up if you like. Have fun.

That's nothing... You can beat her to "death" a dozen times, and each time she gets up (after a while), she'll still offer to help you (while surrounded in a room smeared in her own blood).

~Some will say, that its necessary for the plot, but I say that the plot should not have been hinged upon players playing nice, and there should have been three options to account for the unexpected instead of just the one.

(Four if you include Failure to escape).

Yeah, relates to Kjarista had posted earlier - it'd be nice if there were fully fleshed out paths for a good, evil, neutral playthrough. Rather than a bunch of disconnected "Be Evil? Be Good?" moments. The essential NPC thing was a bit of a disappointment the first time I experienced it :p

Kjarista, you need to lighten up, my friend. Besides, I wasn't Bethesda bashing - I merely commented on a shortcoming in the game. As I've said on the other boards, Fallout 3 is an ok game by itself, maybe a 6.5-7/10.

Edited by Malcador

One would hope that Obsidian can do better. That's the point of Beth approaching Obsidian to do a Fallout, don't you think?

nope. i think the point of Bethie approaching Obsidian is something like this:

Bethie: oh, hai guys! we r teh busy working on TES nu-game and want more monies and phat l00t from Fallout title. whut you can do?

Obsidian: well, sure. we'd love to! we've been wanting this all along...ever since VanBuren fell apart!

Bethie: ok, gud. we go make TES nu-game now and you guys do things, lol. kthx bye!

in all seriousness, i've been talking about this at NMA and a few things came up. it makes sense financially for Bethesda to do this. Obsidian make games for people, Bethesda's busy on TES, it's a good choice for them, financially. although i tend to think there are no coincidences and Bethesda wants to gain some "street cred" with the hardcore fans, so again...Obsidian makes sense. but if that's ALL it was...then why were Bethesda SO completely set on not letting any of the original Fallout devs in on FO3?

That's nothing... You can beat her to "death" a dozen times, and each time she gets up (after a while), she'll still offer to help you

That didn't really bother me. Many games are "forgiving" of player actions in the tutorial sections. I was actually pleasantly surprised that I was allowed to kill the overseer in the first place.

The guy was a total jerkface though.

But he wasn't that important really... In Fallout if you anger the Overseer, your game is essentially over.

In Planescape if you anger mildly annoy "Pen" in the print shop~ he kicks you out and you never get back in :p

This is getting annoying, and I imagine that our Obsidian hosts are getting annoyed at us as well. Do you folks really need to come over here with all your Beth bashing? Isn't it enough that you trash the Beth boards?

I'm out until a real F: NV discussion starts. You two can keep it up if you like. Have fun.

How is that bashing, and not a bug? That behavioral defect is the single greatest flaw in Fallout 3 and the Elderscrolls games [iMO]

some of us are here to make points known, to suggest options. I suggest the idea of a cleverer AI and it gets dragged through seven posts of defense. You spoke of double standards... that's surely one indeed.

Edited by Gizmo

[ Rather than a bunch of disconnected "Be Evil? Be Good?" moments.

For me, the fact that everything is so disconnected is one of the biggest problems with FO3. Every quest is like its own little isolated minigame. It may even be interesting, but if it doesn't affect anything outside its own little minigame space, then it never really amounts to much. At least for me.