What are you playing now?

Gorth

I should have added an important qualification to my last post - I really am rubbish at FPS games. I mean, dreadful. In the middle of a hectic firefight I'm looking at the keyboard for the strafe button.

It's like discovering a passion for choral singing when you're tone deaf. :ermm:

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I should have added an important qualification to my last post - I really am rubbish at FPS games. I mean, dreadful. In the middle of a hectic firefight I'm looking at the keyboard for the strafe button.

It's like discovering a passion for choral singing when you're tone deaf. :ermm:

Cheers

MC

So Doom it is! Or Heretic if you prefer pretty-er colors.

Also, who uses the strafe button? You usually play with WSAD and mouse...

Just dial down the difficulty, MC! That's what it is there for.

Doom 1 on nightmare difficulty was harder than most shooters nowadays anyway.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

lol. That's fab.

Farcry is pretty fun. Graphics that were awesome once are only so-so now.

If you want another recommendation for shooters: I highly recommend STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

It can be quite buggy in places and the story is sonmewhat indecipherable and 90% of the dialogue is Ukrainian or RUssian or whatever.

But it is still an awesome fps. Its atmosphere is unmatched.

I especially like the parts where rifle bullets drop as fast as if you were throwing them and the save-corrupting bugs really made my day.

The atmosphere was pretty cool, though.

Did you try STALKER: CLear Sky? It is considerably less buggy and has a lot of good gameplay improvements.

But to me it has lost some of the atmosphere that made the first one so great.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

lol. That's fab.

Farcry is pretty fun. Graphics that were awesome once are only so-so now.

If you want another recommendation for shooters: I highly recommend STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

It can be quite buggy in places and the story is sonmewhat indecipherable and 90% of the dialogue is Ukrainian or RUssian or whatever.

But it is still an awesome fps. Its atmosphere is unmatched.

I especially like the parts where rifle bullets drop as fast as if you were throwing them and the save-corrupting bugs really made my day.

The atmosphere was pretty cool, though.

Did you try STALKER: CLear Sky? It is considerably less buggy and has a lot of good gameplay improvements.

But to me it has lost some of the atmosphere that made the first one so great.

It was a bit better, but the faction stuff was seriously sucky with people attacking the same spots over and over. The constant blowouts got really annoying as well. Some of the new stuff, like weapon upgrades, was awesome but the game still felt like it was barely working and could stop at any moment.

It was a bit better, but the faction stuff was seriously sucky with people attacking the same spots over and over. The constant blowouts got really annoying as well. Some of the new stuff, like weapon upgrades, was awesome but the game still felt like it was barely working and could stop at any moment.

The faction stuff was OK in small amounts, but it really made the game less fun as it was the focus of the game. The single-player story and adventuring seemed to get pushed aside in favor of all the faction stuff. And the faction stuff just wasn't robust enohgh to make a truly interesting game. It's too bad, too, because there were so many great improvements.

STALKER 3 sounds like it might be grabbing the best of both SOC and CS and mushing them together, which would be great.

Bugwise, I had no problems with CS which really surprised me. I was expecting a disaster, but it was less crashprone and weirdly buggy than say FO3.

edit: I've started noticing this weird bug in FO3 where cars suddenly spin around or cartwheel about for no discernible reason. I mean I assume its a bug. :/

Edited by CrashGirl

The faction stuff was OK in small amounts, but it really made the game less fun as it was the focus of the game. The single-player story and adventuring seemed to get pushed aside in favor of all the faction stuff. And the faction stuff just wasn't robust enohgh to make a truly interesting game. It's too bad, too, because there were so many great improvements.

STALKER 3 sounds like it might be grabbing the best of both SOC and CS and mushing them together, which would be great.

Bugwise, I had no problems with CS which really surprised me. I was expecting a disaster, but it was less crashprone and weirdly buggy than say FO3.

edit: I've started noticing this weird bug in FO3 where cars suddenly spin around or cartwheel about for no discernible reason. I mean I assume its a bug. :/

Maybe you got one of the new perks where merely looking at stuff makes it blow up?

Maybe you got one of the new perks where merely looking at stuff makes it blow up?

Its more like some sort of telekinesis thing, I think.

Think Force Push. ;)

I decided to give Icewind Dale 2 another go. I tried it a while back, after finishing the first one, but I didn't get far. Now I tried my hand at a party of 4, with a drow bard as a leader. It's surprising to see how NPCs react to my bard's race, and how dialog options have changed when compared to the first time I tried the game (first time through I had a paladin as a party leader). Plus, 3rd Edition rules are more flexible than 2nd Edition, so planning and building my party was very pleasing.

Also, there were a lot of small details and nice touches that I had missed the first time around. Like that blind woman living in the Targos Docks, she's one of the many forms of Ravel, from PS:T. These details add a lot of flavor. Also, the game is quite well written so far, and the combat feels slightly better because of the improved interface. Combat encounters also seem to be designed differently. They're more continuous, the first one relied more on shorter bursts of action. I just hope it keeps all this up for the entire length of the game, cause it's very cool so far.

IWD2 is great (And a heluva challenge if you start a "Heart of Fury" game with new characters); But there is one huge gripe with the game (for me at least)... Its the fact that the AI always sees your entire party unless they have an invisibility spell on them. This means that you can be in a canyon [or conceivably a maze] with most of your party well beyond line of sight, and your thief on the opposite side of the map scouting, but if he/ or she becomes visible to an enemy for any reason (even if they drink an invisibility potion immediately)... All the enemies that saw them will "conga-line" their way through the entire twisting path all the way to the other side of the map to slaughter your mages. What an awful AI hack that was. ;)

Edited by Gizmo

Tried X-COM. Well the version I got in 2000 on a PC Gamer CD, it runs sort of ok on XP. Fun little game, forgot how unforgiving it can be...and how utterly scary a night mission can be.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tried X-COM. Well the version I got in 2000 on a PC Gamer CD, it runs sort of ok on XP. Fun little game, forgot how unforgiving it can be...and how utterly scary a night mission can be.

I hope you are using DOSBox, otherwise the scrolling is way too fast in the missions. Great game, though!

I hope you are using DOSBox, otherwise the scrolling is way too fast in the missions. Great game, though!

That version is the Windows one - I guess- and doesn't play well with DOSBox. Did manage to, uh, find, a DOS version though, so I'm back in business, hurrah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That version is the Windows one - I guess- and doesn't play well with DOSBox. Did manage to, uh, find, a DOS version though, so I'm back in business, hurrah.

It's also on Steam and comes with a DOSBox wrapped.

DOSBox was just updated to v.73 yesterday, you might give it a try again? Also is it possible that the game is NOT a DOS game, thus it would not work using DOSBox. Such as Fallout 2 is NOT a DOS based game and requires a windows environment.

Also if you happen to have a copy of Windows 95 or 98 there is MS Virtual Machine. I use that to run Grim Fandango and it works wonderfully on it.

Trying out Painkiller for the first time after hearing many people recommend it. I can see why, it's a lot of fun and very hectic. Not normally a FPS fan but this game is pretty cool.

Painkiller is great fun. I've played it several times. There is a secret ending if you finish it on the hardest setting. Have fun, man!

Also, try American McGee's Alice. Great game.

I tried to play Zork Nemesis on Windows XP a while back, but it just couldn't slow down enough for this one part. Too bad. I really enjoyed that game. I'm going to try Grim Fandango on the Big Screen TV. That way the wife and I can play it at the same time.

Painkiller is great fun. I've played it several times. There is a secret ending if you finish it on the hardest setting. Have fun, man!

I couldn't even beat the end-boss on "normal" settings ;)

Great game though. Completely without subtlety* and "in your face" action :)

* Unless you really play the "tarot" game.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm playing Operation:anchorage.

I don't get it. Does anybody anywhere think this is good?

No. Someone at bethesda had a brainfart and just "I know, the FPS combat in our game is the weakest part of it... so lets make an expansion that focuses solely on that!"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No. Someone at bethesda had a brainfart and just "I know, the FPS combat in our game is the weakest part of it... so lets make an expansion that focuses solely on that!"

Its like a bad FPS. FROM 20 YEARS AGO.

meh.

I rushed through it and it was over quickly, happily.

I'm hoping The Pitt will be better. It looks better, anyway.