IGN's The Top 100 Game Creators of All Time

funcroc

Sweet. Tim Cain, and Chris Avellone are taking credit for BG. Mr. U, I understand as he played a pretty big role in BG; but those two.. come on.

And, since when is Jeremy Soule a 'game creator'. The guy makes music tracks. LMAO

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Their Top 100 is flawed. Tim Cain and Feargus should be in the top ten.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Sweet. Tim Cain, and Chris Avellone are taking credit for BG. Mr. U, I understand as he played a pretty big role in BG; but those two.. come on.

I doubt they're taking credit so much as IGN is giving them credit.

At least Chris Avellone was thanked in the BG manual IIRC... ;(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"I doubt they're taking credit so much as IGN is giving them credit."

I know. I was just mocking IGN, and the fanboys who hold them up as gods (though I actually like both of their work) at the same time.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

And, since when is Jeremy Soule a 'game creator'. The guy makes music tracks. LMAO

We define a game creator as anyone who contributes to the creative or technical development process of a game. This can include (but is not limited to) artists, sound engineers, composers, programmers, planners, designers, and producers.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Much like the VH1 top ten or top hundred lists, these are just for fun. They aren't scientific, and in a few years they could do a new completely different list. People take them a bit too seriously.

You should try complaining sometime, Hurlie. Its fun! ;)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Much like the VH1 top ten or top hundred lists, these are just for fun. They aren't scientific, and in a few years they could do a new completely different list. People take them a bit too seriously.

You should try complaining sometime, Hurlie. Its fun! ;)

I prefer to complain about serious issues, like when they shut down the Ice Cream shop that was just down the street from me. Tragedy!

I'm really not joking, every time I pass that place I sigh. It was dang good Ice Cream. Marble Slab Creamery.

You should try complaining sometime, Hurlie. Its fun! :)

I prefer to complain about serious issues, like when they shut down the Ice Cream shop that was just down the street from me. Tragedy!

I'm really not joking, every time I pass that place I sigh. It was dang good Ice Cream. Marble Slab Creamery.

If you are on the internet and you're not complaining, then you are not doing it right! ;)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Probably going to have Todd as #1

Also, explain why anyone from Troika, BI or Obsidian would be considered good game "creators"... great at writing, sure, and great at c&c. But most of their games are buggy with **** combat. And I think that writing quality in a game is considered to be low priority compared to graphics, polish and all those other buzz words. I hate it too. I love the Obsidan/BI games, but most people would rather stare at the pretty colors if it meant an inferior game, and I guess that AP is a step in the right direction of bridging the gap between the mainstream and people like us.

Edited by lollers

64. Jonty Barnes

...Anyone w/a large role in making Dungeon Keeper gets my vote. :sorcerer:

I still have a 1999 PC-Gamer mag that had a list of the "Greatest 25 Game Makers" where they got them all in one room for a photo shoot. For fun and the sense of passing time, when I see new lists like these, I like to compare who from that particular old one is still in the new one.

The 1999 article was refreshingly not in a numbered best-to-least-best format, but the people mentioned were:

Peter Molyneux, Chris Roberts, Sid Meier, Erik Yeo, Will Wright, Ron Gilbert, John Carmack, Warren Spector, Brian Reynolds, Bruce Shelley, Andy Hollis, Larry Holland, Bruce Carver, Gabe Newell, Brett Sperry, Roberta Williams, Jordan Mechner, Mike O' Brien, Tim Schafer, Hal Barwood, Steve Meretzky, Richard Garriott, Chris Taylor, Norm Kodger, and Justin Chin

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Troika"

Yeah, let's reward a dead company that basically failed. :x And, I say that while liking 2 of their 3 games and actually seeing some good stuff in the 3rd. :x

:) Magikal Volo, Volo! ;) They had awesome games, especially their last. A crowning achievement in greatness.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

If you are on the internet and you're not complaining, then you are not doing it right! :)

Ok. The best Ice cream shop is in Rome and I'm furious with all the other ice cream shops because they're not as good as the one in Rome! In fact I'm going to boycott all other ice cream shops until they're as good as the one in Rome. That'll show them!

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Most of those people I never heard of so they can't be that important.

This level of ignorance is actually nauseating. February can't be over soon enough. Good ****ing riddance!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!