Humorous computer games

Monte Carlo

So, none of you played Monkey Islands, Sam and Maxs, Space Quests or any of the other zounds of humorous adventure games?

^ Clearly not, then again I have a day job, a family and other stuff going on. You could enlighten me as to how these games worked, rather than sneer at my lack of available idling time.

I thought the same thing as Musopticon did. Though I wasn't surprised by your lack of time, rather your ignorance. Might as well ask if TV sci-fi can work. The answer, of course, being yes, because it has been done many times before.

And in other news, you fight like a cow.

I really loved humorous games in the 80's and 90's. Zak McKraken and Alien Mindbenders is perfect example of that era funny adventure games. There's no way game like that would get development budget these days. Well, actually game like that wouldn't have got green light in past 15 years :shifty:

To make people laugh via games is probably really difficult and always risky. I'm not even sure if it's possible to make mainstream game that everyone would find funny. Ricky Gervais, Jerry Sendfield or Richard Pryor all have different style of stand up comedy, but not everyone find 'em all funny and some don't like stand up at all. Monty Python type of comedy is similar to old adventure games but some don't get it at all.

My fav humorous games in these days have been GTA series since the Vice City. Radio channels are riot thanks to brilliant writing by Lazlow Jones.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I didn't get into the Kings/Space Quest games or the Lucas Arts games, just wasn't my cup of tea at the time I suppose. Why ruin perfectly good adventure games with crappy gfx and "point and click" interface. Talk about dumbing down a genre :shifty:

I think the first "modern" (post 8 bit) games that made me laugh were things like the original Worms and Lemmings. The humour in Grim Fandango was something special too :skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Old Sierra adventure games were hilarious, and awesome to boot. Grim Fandango is cool as well. They just had style.

Yet to try Psychonauts.

Barkely, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is hilarious. And a decent JRPG.

This man is worth his cookies.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

HAHA NOLF2 has one of the best chase scenes in gaming history.

LIES!

It is easily THE best chase scene in gaming history. I had trouble getting through it at first because I couldn't stop giggling and laughing and thinking "NOWAY!"

Anyway, humour can go a really long way in making a game work. Most adventure games had seriously atrocious gameplay that was completely and utterly mitigated by the awesomely funny writing.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Most recent attempt I could think of is Bad Company. They should have really aimed for more comedy though.

Is it alright to laugh when someone explodes in FEAR?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I nominate Freedom Force and Third Reich!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I thought the Timesplitters series was pretty funny too.

Oh, and I played Maniac Mansion and Zak McCracken on my Commodore 64! Beat that.

By the way, I guess noone remembers this other than me, but the original Zork was actually pretty funny too. Actually, come to think of it, a lot of those old text adventures had some pretty good humour in them. The Pawn, Guild of Thieves, Leather Goddesses of Phobos, etc.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Portal beats all of the above.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I thought the Timesplitters series was pretty funny too.

Oh, and I played Maniac Mansion and Zak McCracken on my Commodore 64! Beat that.

By the way, I guess noone remembers this other than me, but the original Zork was actually pretty funny too. Actually, come to think of it, a lot of those old text adventures had some pretty good humour in them. The Pawn, Guild of Thieves, Leather Goddesses of Phobos, etc.

I probably didn't notice the humour in Zork because I was too busy being frustrated by the puzzles.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm not even sure if it's possible to make mainstream game that everyone would find funny.

It's not possible to make anything that everyone finds funny. Nature of the beast.

Maniac Mansion, Zak McCracken, Monkey Island 1 & 2, Fate of Atlantis... Those were the days. Never really got into the Sierra stuff, guess I preferred the dumbed down stuff where it was impossible to fail, though I did play a few KQs and LSLs at friends places. If LSL taught mkreku about sex, does that mean his first time was with a dodgy hooker?

In other news, I only just noticed that the Starbucks ripoff in Saint's Row 2 is called Apollos, and when you leave the cashier says "So say we all".