Mass Effect 2 to appear in GDC

(In before lock but still after Llyr)

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I thought threads were locked at page 31?

Anyways, my biggest hope for ME II is that it shows us the consequences of our actions in the first game. One of the things I found frustrating in the first game was the null choice. There are two planets where you're given an interesting situation, but only one course of action.

The two big 'decisions' in the first game don't show any consequences, though there are a number of hints you've done something big/important. I'd like the sequal to deliver.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

ME was nothing but guns. Sure you could bash but you might as well blow that guys brains out because bash was pathetic.

I'm not a violent woman, but there are few things more satisfying than running up to a krogan battle master, bashing his head in, and then pouring assult rifle fire into him as lies helpless at your feet.

Going full auto assault rifle as he floats over you due to bionic attacks from teammates is one of those things though :)

EDIT: Oh yes, and I agree with the notion that the Feros morality decision was pretty sweet. It was fun going through it both as a Paragon and a Renegade >_<

Edited by alanschu

I thought threads were locked at page 31?

Anyways, my biggest hope for ME II is that it shows us the consequences of our actions in the first game. One of the things I found frustrating in the first game was the null choice. There are two planets where you're given an interesting situation, but only one course of action.

The two big 'decisions' in the first game don't show any consequences, though there are a number of hints you've done something big/important. I'd like the sequal to deliver.

From what the devs have said, when you load up ME2 your ME1 save will be loaded into the game, so those decisions that seemed to have no value other than WOOT PARAGON/RENEGADE POINTS! will change how the universe is structured. A lofty goal, but I'm worried it'll end up like fable 2's "Lawl you can change the world!" feature that only worked once in the main quest line.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Haha, and I wasn't even the one derailing it.

I'm not so sure of that, buck-o. Anyhow, any ideas? Mass Effect or Left4dead? You clowns can be funny, but you're not so bad at suggesting decent games.

That really depends on what you want, excellent single player adventure or excellent team based zombie rumble.

I'm not so sure of that, buck-o. Anyhow, any ideas? Mass Effect or Left4dead? You clowns can be funny, but you're not so bad at suggesting decent games.

L4D is a must play if you like multiplayer action games at all. It's really an amazingly well done game.

Mass Effect is certainly in the top 10 should-play games of the past two years, but imho, L4D is at the top of that list with little competition.

P.S.

Nightshape - I don't care if you call me a retard, but you should try and be funnier about it. Also, Hershey's will be the first to go.

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!

Mass Effect is a single-player RPG. Left4Dead is a multiplayer shooter. They're very different. Now, Left4Dead is a better shooter than Mass Effect is an RPG, but I enjoyed ME more.

Hershey's makes average chocolates, and when I was driving home from college, I had to pay $500 to stay at the cheapest hotel I could find because it was near Hershey, PA.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Hehe, the cheap motels is so that people have the $$$$ to spend on shows and gambling.

Places that don't offer shows and gambling can't afford to charge more because the big places don't really charge THAT much (some do) because they know they'll make the $$$$ on the shows and gambling.

Has anyone brought up the radiant response menu, and its consistencies, yet?

A great improvement in ME2 would be that the player would actually know his or her response. Sure, it wasn't unpredictable to 100%, but there were enough situations were my character simply didn't act accordingly to my choices. Abstractions can be good, but less abstraction on dialogue next time thankyouverymuch.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"One of the things I found frustrating in the first game was the null choice."

Actually, ME had lots of choices. The problem was that consequences shown for choices made weren't as far reaching as I would like. But, the game had tons of choices to make - both big and small.

"A great improvement in ME2 would be that the player would actually know his or her response. Sure, it wasn't unpredictable to 100%, but there were enough situations were my character simply didn't act accordingly to my choices. Abstractions can be good, but less abstraction on dialogue next time thankyouverymuch."

I actually agree with you. I liek ME's dialogue and as awhole the system worked well; but I personally am one of the anal people who prefers to know exactly what my character is gonna say...

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Nightshape - I don't care if you call me a retard, but you should try and be funnier about it. Also, Hershey's will be the first to go.

Allow me to appoligise in a most humble fashion for being an arrogant idiot. I should have picked up on your humour.

p.s. Hershey's *URGK*.

I'm looking forwards to ME2, ME's story was perhaps the most enjoyable experience I've had since BG 1.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Also, I never played a RPG where you didn't have to manually aim and click so your silliness is silly.

Really? How did you aim in Neverwinter Nights? Or Baldur's Gate? Or KotOR? I remember sitting there watching my characters fight for me in those games, maybe you had to swing your sword/lightsabre by yourself? I doubt it though.

So again, in Doom I manually aim and shoot to win battles. That's what you do in shooters. How do you win battles in Mass Effect without doing that? Please explain.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Left 4 Dead on the PC, although either one would be an ok buy.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Sorry. You tell your soldier to shut up about unprofessional comments and reprimand her for it, she's going to fall in line whenever you're talking with her. Ashley deciding not to talk with you both makes sense from the perspective of her duties as a soldier in response to a commanding officer giving her an order, and the fact that she might just think you're a **** for snapping at her.

Given the women I know, it almost makes sense.

It's your fault if you expected Ashley to behave in a different way than her very plausible and almost expected way in response to what you said. But given you seem to hate that things get "forced" upon you, you probably were too obtuse to realize that the consequences of your actions.

For the record, your superbly well written Carth responds the same way if you tell him to shut his pie hole early on too.

Except I didn't tell her to shut up, or that I hate her, or that she's the worst soldier in the world. My reprimand was quite reasonable under the circumstances, and I'd be a poor leader if I said nothing. Yet the developer decides to punish me for playing the game the way I see fit by taking away what little content is left in the game. If they want your choices to matter, ideally they should provide alternate content instead of just deleting it. Anyway, I didn't even start out complaining about this, I just remarked that she clammed up and thus I didn't see whatever depth her character had, you then proceeded to make a mountain out of a molehill, trying to prove the crappy game is a masterpiece. Anyway, because of your rudeness and hostility I will no longer respond to anything you say.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"Really? How did you aim in Neverwinter Nights? Or Baldur's Gate? Or KotOR?"

I moved the cursor with the mouse and click on my enemy. Just like in ME. Except in ME, I pressed buttons.

"Yet the developer decides to punish me for playing the game the way I see fit by taking away what little content is left in the game. If they want your choices to matter, ideally they should provide alternate content instead of just deleting it."

You think it's punishing the player, I think its choices and consequences. You dissed someone, and she decided not to talk to you anymore. Seems logical to me. It's not like she stopped obeying combat orders. She just didn't open up to you personally. Did your poor feelings get hurt by the fiction pixel female?

"Anyway, because of your rudeness and hostility I will no longer respond to anything you say."

The perverbial 'I'm taking my ball and going home.'

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Main Entry:

per

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: