Yahtzee reviews

Darque

Awesome, keep the dream alive fellas.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

..."someone will make it, eventually"...

That's almost better than "When it'll be ready".

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Bionic Commando review featuring loading. Don't miss the fanmail section after the credits.

I hope he does one about E3 as well.

The more p*ssed off he is, the better the review becomes. About the fan letter, oh dear, poor guy :lol:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

inFamous review packed with lulz and also some much needed bashing of the "moral choice" crap.

He's actually got it mostly right, there were one or two choices that were hard because there was a SIGNIFICANT benefit to doing the evil effect, but usually it was just "Minor inconvenience or ease?"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

inFamous review packed with lulz and also some much needed bashing of the "moral choice" crap.

He's actually got it mostly right, there were one or two choices that were hard because there was a SIGNIFICANT benefit to doing the evil effect, but usually it was just "Minor inconvenience or ease?"

It would be interesting to have a game where being good actually meant personal sacrifice and no other benefit than feeling good about helping someone. Not every feeble old lady has to have a +7 longsword left to her by her lost husband that she will happily give to you. Maybe you'll lose an eye to save someone and have to live with it or give up someone you love to save a stranger...

Speaking of moral stuff, where is "practical evil"? Most games make the evil choice either being a total jerk(and actually still doing the "good" thing) or pretty much eating their family in front of them and then killing them horribly. How about threatening them with horrible things or something?

Is this the same Yahtzee that made the game 6 Days a Sacrifice?

Indeed, you can check out his site for all his stuff.

Edited by Purkake

It would be interesting to have a game where being good actually meant personal sacrifice and no other benefit than feeling good about helping someone.

Why have gameplay choices with little to no effect? It would be better to just skip the choice or make it purely aesthetic, eg, good makes a rainbow trail after you while evil gives you devil horns.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It would be interesting to have a game where being good actually meant personal sacrifice and no other benefit than feeling good about helping someone.

Why have gameplay choices with little to no effect? It would be better to just skip the choice or make it purely aesthetic, eg, good makes a rainbow trail after you while evil gives you devil horns.

To bring some reality into the situation? Usually you don't get anything but gratitude for helping someone. You choose that because your character is good and would help them, not to get some reward(which would actually be selfishly motivated).

Also, thats already been done. Playing a paladin in IWDII would trigger a "I cant accept a reward" kinda response when you turned in a quest. It sucked.

My point was, why hasn't it been done well, so that the satisfaction from doing the deed is the reward.

In Half-Life 2 Episode 2, for example the developers talked about using vistas and interesting things to see as a reward for the player.

My point was, why hasn't it been done well, so that the satisfaction from doing the deed is the reward.

I would bet its because of the players themselves. While you may find a handful of players that would be satisfied with merely "doing good" most of us are greedy bastages that want to have their cake and eat it too. Meaning, we want to be the "white hat" while also receiving the BFG3000 as a reward.

I would bet its because of the players themselves. While you may find a handful of players that would be satisfied with merely "doing good" most of us are greedy bastages that want to have their cake and eat it too. Meaning, we want to be the "white hat" while also receiving the BFG3000 as a reward.

The trick is to make it satisfying. If they managed to make a whole generation of geeks cry when Aeries died in FFVII, they can make some poor farmer's gratitude and happiness feel real when he gets his goat/wife/house back.

Games are supposed to be art, no?

Wat? Where?

AS with any human creative endeavor, the potential for art is there, but atm games = corporate product.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Wat? Where?

AS with any human creative endeavor, the potential for art is there, but atm games = corporate product.

Yeah, but some developers keep trying, so there is a little hope.

The long awaited E3 episode is finally up. A truly awesome episode filled with killing hype and shattering dreams.

Hey, he didn't bash AP. Victory to the just!

It wasn't at any of the press conferences. I'm sure he'll bash it when it comes out :lol:

The long awaited E3 episode is finally up. A truly awesome episode filled with killing hype and shattering dreams.

It wasn't at any of the press conferences. I'm sure he'll bash it when it comes out :lol:

Postponed Judgement Day isn't bad either.

Postponed Judgement Day isn't bad either.

I'm sure his review will be funny and mostly ture...

Sorry to have missed the discussion on morality. I think there should be gameplay rewards sprinkled in there for players of every stripe, from the wretched to the saintly. However, Purkake is right, story driven rewards are a viable alternative in many cases to gameplay rewards. Let's face it, there is a good reason that most folks in real life are neither as good as they'd like nor as evil as they're tempted. It sucks. So, give some gameplay rewards, but also make it a tough choice. It should be hard in a computer game to be either extreme. Secondly, games more and more show that folks who really want to follow either the strictest of good or evil paths are willing to forgo gameplay rewards to do so. I agree with Gftd that removing every gameplay reward is not the way to go. Taking control away from the player is likewise stupid. The consequence should follow each decision. Of course, because of the screwed up alignment rules in DnD, forcing the paladin PC to make certain dialogue choices is perfectly appropriate in the technical sense, but stupid from an RPG standpoint.