Yahtzee reviews

Darque

I suddenly got this urge to install Thief again. Wonder why.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I suddenly got this urge to install Thief again. Wonder why.

Because it is a work of brilliance!

Brilliance, I say.

Unlike most Thief fans, I guess, I did enjoy The Dark Project more then The Metal Age. I liked the zombies and ghosts. They were cool and scary. I wasn't as big a fan of the robots in The Metal Age.

The Hammerites remain some of my all time favorite computer game foes. When they would come charging at you with the giant freaking hammer raised high, spouting some fanatical gibberish I would wet myself and scream.

GOod times. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The guy just cracks me up. I spit out my soup a couple times during that.

ANyway, its nice to a classic game remembered fondly.

Has any other game had rope arrows?

Funny you should mention that, Dark Messiah had a special bow that magical rope arrows.

Oh yes, Dark Project is my fave as well. Eerie, very conscious of its influences and nicely written as well.

I just prefer the Metal Age mods, actually.

Edit: And I played Dark Messiah as a Thief for as long as possible. You could sneak every part until the House of Ash except for one bossfight in the Spider Temple end. Very nice game, just flawed at parts.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"Gorn to the bear pits tomorrer. Wanna come with?"

"We'll boil yerr KNICKERS!"

"Must have been rats"

etc

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

"Gorn to the bear pits tomorrer. Wanna come with?"

"We'll boil yerr KNICKERS!"

"Must have been rats"

etc

Reminds me of the time I dropped a TNT box from the top of the Statue of Liberty in Deus Ex and a guard who was 5 meters from it went "Must have been the wind"

Well, the dev interchange was pretty remarkable between ISA and Looking Glass. And Oblivion(cf. the comment about wind and rats) had as its only good thing the stealth system designed by Emil Pagliauro(aka "Mr. Assassins" IIRC).

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Seriously?

I don't understand the hate for DS either, cause I enjoyed it and thought it was a good Thief game that (mostly) stayed true to the franchise. But I think the Metal Age *is* the pinnacle.

Just a pity none of the games stuck with the city roaming thieving theme the whole way through. I'd much rather they scrap all the machines and cults and such and just have some political intrigue.

Deadly Shadows > The Metal Age

never heard that one before. :x

I enjoyed Deadly Shadows. As a sequel to a franchise tt worked out much better than Invisible War ever did. But the first 2 Thief games pretty much stand alone in what they do.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The guy just cracks me up. I spit out my soup a couple times during that.

ANyway, its nice to a classic game remembered fondly.

Has any other game had rope arrows?

Dark Messiah

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Is that Dark Messiah of Might and Magic that you all are talking about?

Yeah, DM is a pretty decent action game which actually uses the huge dimensions available in Source engine development.

Too bad that they decided to go for fun over plausibility. Every level is full of rickety scafflds for dropping barrels on enemies and spike racks for kicking people into them.

Despite this, it's bloody brilliant the first half of the levels.

kirottu said:

Yeah, DM is a pretty decent action game which actually uses the huge dimensions available in Source engine development.

Too bad that they decided to go for fun over plausibility. Every level is full of rickety scafflds for dropping barrels on enemies and spike racks for kicking people into them.

I was going to buy that, but I never did because in the end I thought it would be to boring with just action.

Now I am sad. :(

It's in Ubisoft Exclusives mid-price releases. You can find it pretty much anywhere for fifteen or eight.

Well worth playing, there's even a level arch devoted to nothing else but rooftops of a rainy city night.

kirottu said:

I was going to buy that, but I never did because in the end I thought it would be to boring with just action.

Now I am sad. :(

Oh yeah, it's awesome. Yes, it's not all that serious, but kicking someone into a beam and then having a bunch of barrels fall on their head is pretty damn awesome. It also gives you a great feeling of your body, you see your arms and legs and when you climb for example your head moves appropriately. And you get to kill giant Cyclopses and Dragon-like things.

Dark Messiah would have been awesome if you'd had to lure your opponents into traps and use some skill to find those barrels that come raining down. But instead the developers chose not to trust the player and absolutely LITTERED every level with obvious setups that took out any and all challenge from the game. I basically went through the entire game using only the forward kick because no matter where you kicked someone, they would immediately fall into spikes on the wall/roaring fireplace/barrel-filled overhand/deep chasms/etc. That game is probably the most stupid game I've ever played.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

As always, mkreku is grossly overexaggerating. Unless kicking someone for 15 meters to get them to die in an enviromental hazard is considered "immediately". And please, go kick the cyclops into the face, see if it cares.

I never understood this complaint anyhow, since it's like complaining about force push in JK2 or that you can save-load-spam in Fallout 2 until a critical hit ensues. It's as if everyone took the one flaw in a otherwise neat game and then proceeded to whip themselves with it. There's absolutely no reason to spoil your own fun by choice and then lenghten the pain again and again.

I actually tried to play the game just kicking everyone and an orc threw me off a cliff. Had far more fun tripping the bastard and then skewering him. Or making a critical hit with the lightning spell and watching the massive fx budget kick in.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I enjoyed Deadly Shadows. As a sequel to a franchise tt worked out much better than Invisible War ever did.
That seems to be the majority opinion, which is strange to me because DS and IW are very similar in concept and execution.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Could you explain what these "concept and execution" are?

kirottu said:

The concept involves linear progression from level to level which are themselves somewhat non-linear, which allow multiple approaches to solving contained tasks. IW has several distinct approaches for each task, while in DS stealth is the optimum approach, although there's still quite a bit of variation possible. Both involve fairly similar first person gameplay, and a story well integrated with the gameplay. Execution utilizes the same engine, thus many similarities in controls, graphic quality and physics. The writing, level design etc are on par for each game.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Quoted from his website:

For the benefit of all the well-wishers, let me give a blanket response: I don't live anywhere near the fires in Victoria, you bloody idiots. I live in Queensland, which is a much damper place on the other side of the bloody country. And it's a bloody big country full of a whole bunch of bugger all. Asking after my wellbeing is like asking after the wellbeing of someone in Sweden because a fire broke out in Portugal. Yes alright, Americans, go and look up where those countries are, I'll wait.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The concept involves linear progression from level to level which are themselves somewhat non-linear, which allow multiple approaches to solving contained tasks. IW has several distinct approaches for each task, while in DS stealth is the optimum approach, although there's still quite a bit of variation possible. Both involve fairly similar first person gameplay, and a story well integrated with the gameplay. Execution utilizes the same engine, thus many similarities in controls, graphic quality and physics. The writing, level design etc are on par for each game.

Yeah, but half of that is general enough to be irrelevant, and then you need to take into account the fact that the source of each sequel (Deus Ex & Thief) are quite different, right?

But then, I wouldn't know. I've never played IW and didn't think Deus Ex was all that hot. :aiee:

Yahtzee I find is still as good as before. Realised that when I got bored at work and watched several of them, after not doing so for months and months.

Dark Messiah would have been awesome if you'd had to lure your opponents into traps and use some skill to find those barrels that come raining down. But instead the developers chose not to trust the player and absolutely LITTERED every level with obvious setups that took out any and all challenge from the game. I basically went through the entire game using only the forward kick because no matter where you kicked someone, they would immediately fall into spikes on the wall/roaring fireplace/barrel-filled overhand/deep chasms/etc. That game is probably the most stupid game I've ever played.

Nah, Gothic is alot stoopider.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!