Yahtzee reviews

Darque

Bringing mkreku's link over from the other thread, it should be pointed out that publishers should be pleased as punch that there are enough people stupid enough to buy 1.5 MILLION copies of such a piece of crap game. Said pubishers should not be complaining that not enough copies were sold to meet their projections.

Also how does such a crappy game need to sell 2 million copies to break even? Obviously that money was not spent on anything having to do with the game itself.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Maybe by not being as crappy as people like to claim. How much of it have you played?

lol. None, of course. I was just cross-referencing Yahtzee's review with the publisher's sales complaints. I thought it interesting that they both showed up at the same time, roughly.

People do like a lot of crappy things of course. I myself love all three of the Mummy movies, for example. Which is certainly a love of crap.

I just found it interesting how a publisher could fund a crappy game in a crappy franchise that has been crappy for years, selll more copies than most games could ever hope to sell, and then complain that they have to reduce their earning estimates because the sales didn't meet projections. Expensive crap, obviously. lol.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

People do like a lot of crappy things of course.

People also like to label stuff as "crap" without having to actually experience it. It's as useful an analysis as calling something "awesome", but at least when folks use such labels they've probably actually played the game they're calling awesome.

People also like to label stuff as "crap" without having to actually experience it. It's as useful an analysis as calling something "awesome", but at least when folks use such labels they've probably actually played the game they're calling awesome.

Yes exactly. Its funny how publishers can spend tons of money on crap, knows its crap, and then project to sell tons of crap.

Then be sad that they failed to sell enough crap. lol.

What was that about Top Gear he briefly mentioned in the traidnderworld review? I hope he isnt saying that Top Gear australia is a decent show, because its rubbish! The bad kind of rubbish. Three aussie blokes with less collective charisma and wit than Richard Hammonds left shoelace.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Oh, I don't know, I think it was a good game - better than Legend, and I liked that one too.

I love the first 2 resident evil movies more than anyone, but I would still laugh if the studio complained not enough people bought the dvds.

I did though. CE Widescreen.

Long live crap!

The third RE movie was a horrible disappointment. Its crap was more crappy than I could bear.

Yes exactly.

Yes exactly what? It's strange you would agree with me when I was calling your argument ridiculous. The publishers are disappointed that sales weren't as high as they expected, it's not rocket science. Perhaps the reason for the disappointment is they believe they put out a quality product that deserved to sell more? But for some reason not only do you insist that a product you have no experience with is "crap", you assume the publishers think exactly as you do (they know the product is crap). I can't tell if you're so arrogant that you believe your opinion is some kind of objective truth, or you're just trolling.

The "just because it's popular doesn't mean it's not crap" argument you're so fond of is worthless because the popularity of a product doesn't tell you anything about it's quality. It's just a way to dismiss anything and everything without bothering to put any thought into it.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Actually, I don't see why I should trust popularity less than any single person's opinion at any rate. Of course, I know that Hell Kitty and I share many of the same views on this, so just take my comments in this regard as support for his position on reviews in general.

I think the Yatzee reviews are funny. They're almost always negative in some way, and that negative delivery is funny, at least to me. ...But I don't trust people with extremely narrow tastes who spend more time tearing down what they don't like than trying to find something good out there to play. I would never let a Yatzee review keep me from trying a game. ...And that's why a mediocre review from someone who is usually upbeat about a good product is much more likely to keep me from purchasing a product than a negative review from someone who is always negative in the first place.

Edited by Aristes

Yes exactly what? It's strange you would agree with me when I was calling your argument ridiculous.

I wasn't reallty arguing anything.

The publishers are disappointed that sales weren't as high as they expected, it's not rocket science.

Of course. They want sales to be as high as possible. That's their job.

Perhaps the reason for the disappointment is they believe they put out a quality product that deserved to sell more? .

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Neither one of us knows what the publishers think of their product.

But for some reason not only do you insist that a product you have no experience with is "crap", .

I have no experience with a broken leg or a heart attack, yet I know they are both unpleasant experiences. As humans we posess the mental facilities to draw conclusions about things without having direct personal experiences.

you assume the publishers think exactly as you do (they know the product is crap).

If they don't know their product is crap, then they suck.*

I can't tell if you're so arrogant that you believe your opinion is some kind of objective truth, or you're just trolling..

If I believe something is crap, then I believe something is crap. What more can I say? Since I'm not attributing it to any source as an objective truth, it shoudl be pretty obvious that it is my opinion.

The "just because it's popular doesn't mean it's not crap" argument you're so fond of is worthless because the popularity of a product doesn't tell you anything about it's quality.

I never said it did. SOme popular things are crap; some aren't. I love a lot of crappy things. Just because I love them doesn't mean they are not crap. I dislike a lot of not crappy things. Just because I dislike it doesn't mean they are crap.

It's just a way to dismiss anything and everything without bothering to put any thought into it.

Actually its more of a shorthand way of expressing thoughts on a message board.

I'm curious why it bothers you so much. You came into this thread and attacked my post completely out of the blue, so it obviously did bother you a great deal. Why?

*edit: By "suck" I mean have a poor understanding of their product. You have to know your product to sell your product.

Edited by CrashGirl

I think the Yatzee reviews are funny. They're almost always negative in some way, and that negative delivery is funny, at least to me. ...But I don't trust people with extremely narrow tastes who spend more time tearing down what they don't like than trying to find something good out there to play. I would never let a Yatzee review keep me from trying a game. ...And that's why a mediocre review from someone who is usually upbeat about a good product is much more likely to keep me from purchasing a product than a negative review from someone who is always negative in the first place.

It would seem odd to me that anyone would decide not to buy a game they were otherwise interested in based on a Yahtzee review, though I suppose some might see his reviews as "keepin' it real" as opposed to the negativity being his schitck. One reason to read reviews is to justify your own preconceived opinion (I have decided this game is awesome/crap and this positive/negative review has proven me right), and if your opinion is that a game is bad it's pretty likely that a Yahtzee review is going to agree with you, even for the games he likes.

You came into this thread and attacked my post completely out of the blue

I did no such thing. I was merely pointing out that perhaps the reason the game sold as well as it did, and the reason the publishers expected it to sell even more copies, is because your opinion that it is "crap" was wrong.

If they don't know their product is crap, then they ... have a poor understanding of their product.

Or perhaps it is you who has a poor understanding of the product. So far you've said nothing about the actual product, you merely continue to repeat that you've decided it's "crap". What do you even mean by that? What does the label "crap" mean? I don't like something about this product? I have no interest in this product? There is no value in this product? Everything about this product is poor quality? Something about this product is poor quality?

I have no experience with a broken leg or a heart attack, yet I know they are both unpleasant experiences. As humans we posess the mental facilities to draw conclusions about things without having direct personal experiences.

I know what you're getting at, but is there something pleasant about a heart attack or a broken leg? Doesn't seem like a very good analogy. If a person walks out of the cinema before the movie they were watching has finished, I could come to the conclusion that they didn't like the film, but this doesn't tell me anything about the quality of the film itself, especially since the conclusion I've come to may be wrong, perhaps they had to leave for reasons unrelated to the movie.

If I believe something is crap, then I believe something is crap. What more can I say?

You can explain why you think it's crap, because explanation is what makes for interesting reading.

I liked RE3. *sniff*

The Resident Evil series is the only video game to movie crossover I can stomach. Besides, it had the actor who played Johnny Cage from the MK movies in it.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It would seem odd to me that anyone would decide not to buy a game they were otherwise interested in based on a Yahtzee review, though I suppose some might see his reviews as "keepin' it real" as opposed to the negativity being his schitck. One reason to read reviews is to justify your own preconceived opinion (I have decided this game is awesome/crap and this positive/negative review has proven me right), and if your opinion is that a game is bad it's pretty likely that a Yahtzee review is going to agree with you, even for the games he likes.

It is odd to me that anyone would choose to buy OR not buy any game based on review. Or do anything based on one review. The vagaries of human taste being what they are. However, there is value to reading lots of reviews on something you are curious about. This is what makes sites like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes so useful: you can find a whole lot of reviews from a whole bunch of different people all in one place.

As far as the Yahtzee reviews go: Yes, they are certainly entertainment in large part and that is certainly a big part of their appeal. No question. But their 2 addtional things I see in his reviews as well.

1) He is willing to see bad things, really bad things, about a game. 10 years ago, that wouldn't have been particularly notable. Nowadays it is. Such an approach helps make him seem less like a PR mouthpiece for a publisher and more like an independent soul who is reviewing games.

2) When he has reviewed games I enjoy, even when he pummels them mercilessly, such as The Witcher, he usually brings up good points. Therefore when he is reivewing games I haven't played, I make the assumption he is probably bringing up good points there as well. I think Yahtzee has a pretty good understanding of gaming, and his reviews are pretty articulate and pointed. His comedy shtick and the roughly 5 minute time limit of his reviews maybe make his gaming knowledge and awareness a little less obvious than it would be otherwise

You can explain why you think it's crap, because explanation is what makes for interesting reading.

My apologies for not responding to the whole post, but after reading it, the above seems to be the jist of your point.

ANd you know, I fully agree with you. Sometimes when I make posts critizing games, I do just that. I've written some seriously lengthy posts on Oblivion and Bioshock, 2 games I think are horrible, trying to explain in detail WHY I think they are horrible. EVen just the other day I put some thought into my posts on PS:T in the anniversary thread, trying to explain why, even though I enjoyed the game, I would not be interested in playing a remake, unless a few changes were made. That's all. It wasn't even an attack against PS:T. Just some suggestions how the game might be improved for me, personally.

And you know what happens? WHat happens I spend a long time working on a post, trying to make it articulate and my points clear, which is difficult to do on an internet forum, and:

1) People don't read it, respond to it, or otherwise care. WHich is fine of course, that is their right.

2) People completely misread or fail to read things I say, but respond to it anyway, telling me what a dumbass I am for disliking the game.

3) People just spam me with their fanboy junk.

SO given all that, I see no reason most of the time to even post in threads, and if I do, I see no reason to spend more time on my post than is abnsolutely neccessary.

Tomb Raider is crap is the general level of internet discourse. I see no reason to put in effort to buck this trend, except maybe very rarely if it something I care particularly about. I don't care that much about Tomb Raider or the well-being of game publishers in general. So I'm perfectly content at leaving my ciriticism at a vague sweeping generalization.

You may have noticed I stay completelt out of the political and social threads? Threads that are actually about things that are important in the world, unlike games? Same reason.

I know this isn't much of an answer, but eh, such is the way of it.

Edited by CrashGirl

I liked RE3. *sniff*

The Resident Evil series is the only video game to movie crossover I can stomach. Besides, it had the actor who played Johnny Cage from the MK movies in it.

RE3 lost me at the bird attack scene. I so much love the first 2 that I was seriously disappointed in the third. I'll probably give it a another shot someday though.

ANd I am just going to say it for the record: The Resident Evil moves are total crap, the studio knows they are crap, and if they complain that the RE movies don't sell like ET, then the studios are idiots. WHat do they expect?

That being said, the REsident Evil movies are MY kind of crap and I love them dearly.

The second movie was honestly pretty average and that's a lot when it comes to game-to-movie licenses. I almost liked it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

His accent is killing me.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I spent quite a long time on Far Cry 2, and I think that's a pretty accurate review.

I totally loled when Bear Grylls ate the rabbit.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy