A question for the developers

Why the Onyx engine hasn't been used for developing AP instead of UE3?

Because it's not suited?

It wasn't fully developed when the work on AP began?

Other reason?

Edited by pcrk2

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

So we already have plans for AP2 :ermm:

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

What about an xpac? I know you guys all hate the DLC queries, but it seems like xpacs are a thing of the past in the Bioware tradition (where for the moment Obsidian resides), at least outside of modular DnD games,. None of the KOTORs had xpacs, Jade Empire didn't have xpacs, ME didn't have xpacs. AP seems like that sort of game, that has all its ambitions wrapped up in a single package, just the one story to tell, only to be continued in an entirely new story.

haha, trying to get some info out of us?

Come on, would I resort to such underhanded tactics?

And the expansion/DLC is a good question. I can see several perks to building the franchise off expansions and DLC rather than sequels.

1) More frequent releases, combined with cash flow allowing continued support for patches (and eventually modding?).

2) New gameplay features and gear could be retroactively used in the original story.

3) More justified in focusing on content creation in expansions; since sequels are usually expected to make significant refinements to the core gameplay.

Then again, there are also reasons why a straight-up sequel might be better.

1) Longer dev cycle.

2) More time to refine gameplay and fix things that didn't' quite work right.

3) Obs is already pretty awesome at creating good core content, often polish is more the issue the mainstream complains about.

Not that I'm claiming to answer Pop's question in any way, but it's interesting to consider given that the basic AP package seems like it will be a fairly focused bit of storytelling.

haha, trying to get some info out of us?

Come on, would I resort to such underhanded tactics?

And the expansion/DLC is a good question. I can see several perks to building the franchise off expansions and DLC rather than sequels.

1) More frequent releases, combined with cash flow allowing continued support for patches (and eventually modding?).

2) New gameplay features and gear could be retroactively used in the original story.

3) More justified in focusing on content creation in expansions; since sequels are usually expected to make significant refinements to the core gameplay.

Then again, there are also reasons why a straight-up sequel might be better.

1) Longer dev cycle.

2) More time to refine gameplay and fix things that didn't' quite work right.

3) Obs is already pretty awesome at creating good core content, often polish is more the issue the mainstream complains about.

Not that I'm claiming to answer Pop's question in any way, but it's interesting to consider given that the basic AP package seems like it will be a fairly focused bit of storytelling.

I think both have their quality points. I guess the major difference is that with DLC you get the content faster. :p

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

That's not always the case. Bethsoft in particular is pretty good about getting out functional DLC in a timely fashion, but Bioware promised lots of DLC for Mass Effect and there was only the one (rather negligible) extra mission. It certainly doesn't seem like we'll see more than one other DLC addition before ME2 comes out.

That's not always the case. Bethsoft in particular is pretty good about getting out functional DLC in a timely fashion, but Bioware promised lots of DLC for Mass Effect and there was only the one (rather negligible) extra mission. It certainly doesn't seem like we'll see more than one other DLC addition before ME2 comes out.

IIRC that is the Publishers decision to put out more DLC, not the developer.

With the Mass Effect XBox360 exclusive, published by M$, then Bio being bought by EA, then ported to PC, I then assume neither EA or M$ cared to put out any more DLC.

• 4 weeks later...
AP seems like that sort of game, that has all its ambitions wrapped up in a single package, just the one story to tell, only to be continued in an entirely new story.

What's wrong with telling another story in an xpack?

Just doesn't happen that often with games like this. I'd be surprised.

My understanding is that Onyx will be our engine for all future titles

Interesting. So even if you decide to make a sequel to AP it will be on an entirely new engine? When has that succeeded (ie retained all the trappings of the old game, unlike say DX:IW) with a modern game? Will you be shopping it out to other developers as well?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but.. Is the Unreal Engine 3 really that good..? I've gotten the feeling that it runs very well (performance wise) for the graphics it produces, but it feels somewhat clunky in every game I've played using it. Also, there's the texture pop-up problem that always seems to follow UE3 games. And what about streaming maps? Every UE3 game I've played has felt like a corridor that becomes incredibly stuttering whenever the hard drive is being accessed.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Installing a game on the Hard Drive (360, of course) usually gets rid of UT3's horrid texture popping.

Nevertheless, this is something that you REALLY want to fix.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Play on PC, texture popping solved :)

And we don't even have to pay for the game either!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"