A question for the developers

So is there some sort of fancy PDF on the internet that shows off Onyx's main features, like most next-gen engines have? Speaking of which, what are the features of the engine anyway? Seems like the only reason it was made is so you wouldn't have to pay licenses or whatever for other engines like UE3.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Bump-mapped crates

I thought they were normal mapped.

EDIT: Breaking news: They will be bling-mapped.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but.. Is the Unreal Engine 3 really that good..? I've gotten the feeling that it runs very well (performance wise) for the graphics it produces, but it feels somewhat clunky in every game I've played using it. Also, there's the texture pop-up problem that always seems to follow UE3 games. And what about streaming maps? Every UE3 game I've played has felt like a corridor that becomes incredibly stuttering whenever the hard drive is being accessed.

I played the Too Human demo today and didn't notice any texture pop-up effects. Not even slightly.

But UE3 is mainly an engine developed for consoles in mind, or as J.E. would put it "an engine that's made for taking cover and shooting people into the face". Maybe that's why it feels a bit clunky on the PC.

I still think UE2.5 was back then one of the greatest PC engines. Cryengine 2 is the winner today though.

Besides UE3 is still popular for it's 24h support and awesome toolset framework (code and art pipeline). But I can understand that there're developers out there who want to make their own thing, something better, less mainstream maybe.

I'm curious what Onyx is capable of.

Edited by Morgoth