Japanese Woman Jailed After Killing Virtual Husband

Japanese Woman Jailed After Killing Virtual Husband

A 43-year-old Japanese piano teacher found herself in jail after viciously murdering her ex-husband...in MapleStory. According to reports, the woman's virtual, big-headed anime husband suddenly divorced her in mid-May, which lead to her logging on with the 33-year-old man's username and password and deleting his character. When the man discovered the death of his character, he called the police. The alleged virtual murderer has now been jailed for suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, which could carry a five-year prison sentence or a fine of up to $5,000.

"I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry," the official quoted her as telling investigators and admitting the allegations.

My god, do you know what this means? I need to start playing Maple Story immediately!

A 43-year-old Japanese piano teacher found herself in jail after viciously murdering her ex-husband...in MapleStory. According to reports, the woman's virtual, big-headed anime husband suddenly divorced her in mid-May, which lead to her logging on with the 33-year-old man's username and password and deleting his character. When the man discovered the death of his character, he called the police. The alleged virtual murderer has now been jailed for suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, which could carry a five-year prison sentence or a fine of up to $5,000.

"I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry," the official quoted her as telling investigators and admitting the allegations.

My god, do you know what this means? I need to start playing Maple Story immediately!

http://kotaku.com/5067773/japanese-woman-j...virtual-husband

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

There are no emoticons out there to justify my reaction.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"which lead to her logging on with the 33-year-old man's username and password and deleting his character."

This, too me, is the important part. This is clearly identity theft or very close to it. She did log on with the real man's username. Then she deleted his character. She is not charged with mutual murder, though.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

*sigh*

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If he told her his password, isn't that his fault? Hmm. Every time I get hacked in a game now, I'm going to call that police, and get them arrested.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's a bit of a deceptive title for the article. Yes, the woman was "jailed after killing virtual husband", but the real reason for the arrest was that she broke into his computer.

broke in? he gave her the frakking password. that's like 'breaking in' to someone's apartment after they've given you the keys...

at best, she's tortiously interfered with his contractual rights, not committed a criminal offence, still less an arrestable one.

dumber than a bag of hammers

That's Japanese laws we're talking about, so it's probably different there.

Also, I may be wrong but, don't people still need your permission to get into your house even if you've given them the keys? Or is it considered an implicit authorisation?

Edited by random n00b

Also, I may be wrong but, don't people still need your permission to get into your house even if you've given them the keys? Or is it considered an implicit authorisation?

giving someone the keys is typically implied permission but, yes, you can always make the permission conditional - e.g. when somebody gives the housekeeper the keys to clean on thursdays, it doesn't give them permission to enter on saturday night.

the point is, in a criminal case anywhere in the english-speaking world, you'd have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the person not only didn't have permission but knew they didn't have permission. i'm not saying that the crazy japanese lady hasn't done anything wrong, i'm saying that it's a hysterical overreaction to treat what she did as in any way criminal.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

the point is, in a criminal case anywhere in the english-speaking world, you'd have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the person not only didn't have permission but knew they didn't have permission. i'm not saying that the crazy japanese lady hasn't done anything wrong, i'm saying that it's a hysterical overreaction to treat what she did as in any way criminal.

That may well be, but my point is that she is not being tried for virtual murder as the title of the article seems to imply.