FO3 pirated in less than 24 hours after gold

Tigranes

Amazing how you can turn a RPG into a FPS just by changing the combat from turn based to real time, huh? Apparently combat is all that matters to you H4RDC0RE RPG'ers.

Oh, FO3 is still an RPG.

But is it a good RPG?

Hey, for all we know the story could be fantastic.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Amazing how you can turn a RPG into a FPS just by changing the combat from turn based to real time, huh? Apparently combat is all that matters to you H4RDC0RE RPG'ers.

It takes a combination of real time combat and give it first person view. After all Deus Ex and Bloodlines were both FPS games and not RPGs. RIght, folks? Right?

Meh, we're all just speculating. Not one of us has played the game.

I tend to think Trokia > Bethesda, but I also notice that Trokia is out of business while Bethesda seems to be doing well.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The "REAL fallout" fanbase is hardly going to make or break game sales.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Troika had the talent but not the smarts when it came to money management.

In two weeks we will watch F3 fail.

Being a game developer isn't easy. You live at the whim of your publisher and even great games can flounder and drown. If you're lucky people will like one of your games and then you get to churn out sequel after sequal because that's what the publisher will pay you for.

I sometimes wonder what a Trokia KotOR 2 would look like.

That said, as someone who liked Morrowind, I thought Oblivion was a horrible, boring and unfun game. If it can make money (and it did) Fallout 3 can make money.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Hardcore gamers, particularly RPG gamers tend to be a very small portion of the gaming demographic, when studio's develop a game, they want as wide an audiance as possible... Niche game developers tend to end up as failed game developers.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

The "REAL fallout" fanbase is hardly going to make or break game sales.

So true you wouldn't believe... People who have never heard of FO, or even care about FO will be buying FO3.

"REAL fallout" fans will probably buy FO3 so they can hate it, piece by piece.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Troika had the talent but not the smarts when it came to money management.

In two weeks we will watch F3 fail.

Being a game developer isn't easy. You live at the whim of your publisher and even great games can flounder and drown. If you're lucky people will like one of your games and then you get to churn out sequel after sequal because that's what the publisher will pay you for.

I sometimes wonder what a Trokia KotOR 2 would look like.

That said, as someone who liked Morrowind, I thought Oblivion was a horrible, boring and unfun game. If it can make money (and it did) Fallout 3 can make money.

Lucas Arts wouldn't have liked it since it would most likely get a M rating. Seeing that their past games, Troika and when the developers were with BIS, had sex, drugs, foul language and gory blood, I don't think LA would have given them a thought.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm saying it's perfectly believable that anumber of people are legitimately interested in FO3, but do not wish to buy/play it. I'm getting a vibe from, say, you and hurlshot & others, that it's kinda ludicrous or pointless to watch videos and comment and have an opinion about something you're pretty sure you hate & won't play. And I'm saying wha?

and I'm saying 'wha?' right back to you...

it's one thing to be interested in playing a game, watching a video about it, and then - having decided you're not interested anymore - criticising it.

it's quite another to be uninterested in playing a game, nonetheless spending a lot of your time gathering information about that game in order to keep criticising it repeatedly on the internet.

there are games i'm interested in & games i'm not. sometimes it takes me a bit of time to decide if a game interests me and i tend to revise my opinions over time if i read enough to suggest that a game may be worth a second look.

now, being interested in playing a game doesn't mean i won't be critical of it. indeed, i probably spend most of my time on these boards criticising games that i've played.

i also criticise games i don't plan on playing, e.g. having played dungeon siege 1, i may contribute to a thread on dungeon siege 2, if only to say how much i think it will stink if it's anything like the first one.

but once i've determined that a game isn't interesting, i don't waste any more time seeking out info about that game, still less watching someone else's play-through. there aren't horses wild enough that could make me look at anything to do with dungeon siege 2, for instance.

it's like watching a show on tv that you dislike, just in order to post how much you dislike it.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Man, that's like, five years ago, newc!

it's quite another to be uninterested in playing a game, nonetheless spending a lot of your time gathering information about that game in order to keep criticising it repeatedly on the internet.

I thought we established by now that you can be interested in a game without being interested in playing it. Two different things. I'm very interested in architecture, even though I'll probably never actually do anything with that.

If someone is indeed just trolling around looking for things to criticise, sure, that's stupid. And I won't deny there are people who do that with FO3. But the majority, I think, just are interested in FO3. Then, they don't like what they see.

I've got more here, but I cut it out. Let me just throw you that core bit, and see if we can get somewhere. Not saying you're being dense (if anything, that's probably me), but it'll probably help me be more clear.

Man, that's like, five years ago, newc!

i am behind with my correspondence...

I thought we established by now that you can be interested in a game without being interested in playing it. Two different things. I'm very interested in architecture, even though I'll probably never actually do anything with that.

not the same thing. you don't have to be an architect to be interested in architecture, just as you don't have to be a filmmaker to enjoy films.

but it still doesn't make much sense to be very interested in a game that you personally have no interest in playing.

you're interested in architecture, for example, but do you spend time actively researching architectural styles you don't like?

Newc,

There are people who are interested in the Fallout series, but who aren't interested in Fallout 3. Take Star Trek, I've seen most of the shows and all of the movies. The last few movies were uninteresting to me, but I followed them, read reviews about them, watched clips on them, etc.

Just because something isn't interesting doesn't mean it's not part of something that interests you.

There are people who are interested in the Fallout series, but who aren't interested in Fallout 3.

yes, i know, but what mystifies me are the people who aren't interested in Fallout 3 who nonetheless devote an inordinate time to reading up about it, watching videos etc, and post about it ad naseum...

Take Star Trek, I've seen most of the shows and all of the movies. The last few movies were uninteresting to me, but I followed them, read reviews about them, watched clips on them, etc.

reading reviews is one thing. posting repeatedly on threads over months at end - as a lot of Fallout 3 pre-haterz seem to do - is another.

Bethesda does seem to be playing both ends against the middle though with FO3 though.

All the gameplay we've seen appears to be mediocre FPS gaming, but then Todd and Pete and Emil talk about the dark gritty gameworld, the deep choices, the roleplaying depth etc and so forth.

If Todd and Pete and EMil came right out and said that Fallout 3 was a first person action game just like Oblivion with a few small changes such as XP and a different-type of level scaling, then I would have stopped paying attention to FO3 completely long ago.

They haven't done that though. Really, they've done just the opposite. This double-dealing has actually begun annoying me over the last few weeks, and consequently I really have stopped giving a poop for the moment.

The truth will be revealed soon enough though.

RPG or FPS? Deep or shallow? Choices that matter or utter inconsequence? It will be interesting to see how it all ends.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

yes, i know, but what mystifies me are the people who aren't interested in Fallout 3 who nonetheless devote an inordinate time to reading up about it, watching videos etc, and post about it ad naseum...

<snip>

The ennui of modern living, an excess of free time, and a medium in which ten minutes of typing can get you the attention of a dozen people.

I hope it

Edited by Maria Caliban

The real problem is that so many of the Fallout fanbase have either poisoned the well against legit criticism or muddied the waters so that folks can't tell the difference.

I mean, sure a lot of folks won't like the graphics. ...But some folks will. Some folks, like mkreku (from what I understand and you can correct me if I'm wrong, bud) like certain aspects of the graphics and don't like others. I'd probably fall into the same category. Some folks will like the first person perspective, some won't, and some won't care.

However, Fallout has a built in controversy that is truly remarkable. Before the ink was dried, folks were tearing up the newsprint in a fit of rage. How can we trust all of the criticism when some folks clearly had an agenda the very moment Bethesda announced the game.

Sure, you might not like Bethesda. In that case, I sympathize. Really. I don't think it does much good to carp on teh game just because you don't like the company, but at least you have a more or less clear reason for attacking the game. However, some folks didn't care one way or the other about Bethesda. They literally just hated to see any changes in the Fallout schematic, even though the original game came out over a decade ago.

The folks who argue from the 'ol' skool' position have tainted every charge leveled against the game. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for folks to go out of their way to attack the game simply on the basis that they hate Bethesda, but it's downright stupid to attack the game because you're a fan and hate seeing the license go to anyone other than Troika or Black Isle Studios. Even worse, some of the ol' skool Fallout fans honestly hate Bethesda, which has caused something akin to a sharks feeding frenzy at chum time. In that case, it transcends ridiculous, suprasses sublime, and actually becomes offensive.

It's hard to read up on the game without going out of your way to decipher peoples' positions because you need to know if the source is tainted or not and some of these people are pretty good at hiding their tracks.

For the record, I don't think Bethesda was the best studio to do the game. ...But they're the studio that did the game, and so I'm going to see how I like it. I enjoyed Oblivion, for all of its faults, and I hope to enjoy Fallout 3 even more. I don't even think of it as Fallout per se so much as an entirely different game set in the Fallout universe.

...And I'm not directing this comment at anyone in particular. At least, not anyone recent, but if you really feel defensive, I guess you can call me out and I will candidly respond.

There's too much emotional ballyhoo around Fallout, that's for sure. But since Fallout 3 pretty much looks like a shooter with a tacked on dialog system, I lost all my (little) interest already. I guess this is an afterthought bargain bin purchase for sometime next year.

However, I find it hilarious that people "hate" Bethesda for making such a game. If I'm not interested in something, whether it's a beloved franchise or not, it just leaves me cold. No reason for hating.

The game world needs more love. And a System Shock sequel.

The game world needs more love. And a System Shock sequel.

mmmm. System Shock 3.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.