Good Old Games

Azure79

So I got my early beta code and I have Freespace 1 and 2 and Fallout 1 and 2 in my shopping list.

I'm thinking of also getting Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business and Die by the Sword.

I've never played the Freespace games, so I'm really looking forward to that. I have my copies of the Fallout games, but want Vista compatible versions. I also have a copy of Jagged Alliance, but its this Korean version that I can't stand. Probably why I never got around to completing it.

I've heard mixed things about Die by the Sword, your thoughts will be appreciated.

I'll let you know how things go.

Oh, and if anyone wants access to the beta, they gave me a code to give out, so send me pm if you want it. First come first serve. I'm not sure how many codes they gave out, but if you didn't get one yet, and want to try, let me know.

Edited by Azure79

Jag 2 UB isn't nearly the game that Jag 2 is.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I had fun with Die By the Sword when I played it many years ago. I'm not sure how well it holds up.

Have you played Sacrafice? If not then that is one of the games that ought to be must buy.

For the people who care Fallout is free on gametap it isn't DRM free but some people here might not care about that.

Wikipedia on DBtS:

The unique feature of this game is also the most widely praised. This is the ability for the player to fully control their sword arm, removing the need for pre-recorded animations and statistically-based gameplay. Instead, a physically correct model is used for each avatar and each weapon, and both movement and damage are calculated through forces.
Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I had fun with Die By the Sword when I played it many years ago. I'm not sure how well it holds up.

Wikipedia on DBtS:

The unique feature of this game is also the most widely praised. This is the ability for the player to fully control their sword arm, removing the need for pre-recorded animations and statistically-based gameplay. Instead, a physically correct model is used for each avatar and each weapon, and both movement and damage are calculated through forces.

Interesting. A remake on the Wii would be a good fit, I think. Especially with the new Plus thingie that's supposed to make the Wiimote more exact.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Then me and my brother saved some money to buy a Amiga 500 .. We played so many different games - don't ask me how my brother could afford them all, but as far as I could tell they were all legal.

None of mine were, kinda doubt your brother paid for them all though. I made a lot of friends swapping games. Even piracy was expensive, downgrading was slow and cost money, not that many people had parents who could abide sharing their phone lines with modems.

Eye of the beholder, 14 diskettes, lol. Well i did buy Speedball 2 because the disk broke and I couldn't stomach being without it during vacation.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Wikipedia on DBtS:

Interesting. A remake on the Wii would be a good fit, I think. Especially with the new Plus thingie that's supposed to make the Wiimote more exact.

Yeah, I tried it at a friend's house, the gameplay was crap. All hype if I remember correctly.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Good old games. Games like the IE games, Fallout series, Diablo series, good 2D games that makes one play and play again. Back in the days when you were not bothered by ****ed up DRMs that harass legit game buyers. The most annoying thing was having to have a disk to play the game. Big deal. The days of the greats are gone.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I'm still waiting for some good old games that I don't already have. The catalogue is still fairly limited.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I just received a Beta key and immediately went and bought Fallout!

Very well-designed and nicely organized website. Absolutely painless experience. Once I paid the chump change, the game was added to my account. Click download, and... OMG... for $5.99 I get the game, the manual, the soundtrack, artwork, and even some avatars. :thumbsup:

Edit: it seems the game works flawlessly in Linux via wine. At this point the awesomeness is almost killing me.

Edited by neckthrough
2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

Descent: Freespace was the first computer game I ever played (a demo with the first third of the game

up to the Taranis mission

came with our family's first computer) and it was a pretty fun experience back then. I remember really looking forward to getting Freespace 2 after that, but never got around to it (back then I had a quota placed on how many games I could get and I went with Age of Empires II which came out at the same time).

Two years ago, I suddenly had a craving to replay all the good old games that I had thrown away or lost as well as games I never got the chance to play, and so I got myself a copy of Descent: Freespace among other things.

Playing it again after all those years I found that the graphics held up surprisingly well, especially when you consider my tastes. I don't mind old 2D graphics at all and I think old games like the Mario platformers look great even today, especially the ones with colorful and detailed background. 3D graphics are another story. Half-Life was a game I really wanted to like and I thought had some great elements but the experience was made bad by the graphics which I really didn't like (blocky everything and textures that were sparse and blotchy and blurry when present). Neverwinter Nights also had some pretty poor graphics, I preferred the look of all the Infinity Engine games to it. Descent: Freespace was different though. Sure when I zoomed in on the ships, I got that same ugly texture look, but the game generally looks decent, space looks simple and nice, and zooming out and watching a big battle is pretty cool.

Another thing I found was that the controls were really clunky and hard. This is a game you'd definitely want to play with some kind of joystick. I don't think any other game I played had as hard of a control scheme on the keyboard and mouse. It will definitely take some time to get comfy with the controls.

Lastly, one thing I noticed was that in quite a few missions there's a lot of time spent just flying through space. Maybe I get bored too easily but I found that frustrating.

Those are all the 'negatives' in what otherwise was a really fun game. Maybe one day I'll be able to pick up a copy of Freespace 2 (played the demo and it looked a lot better for starters).

Star Control II

nuff said :p

:-

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta