What you did today

Gorth

Sounds similar to what hubby's life was like when I met him...except he only had one roommate in a ratty 2bd room apt and I think his share was more like $300 (22 years ago).

It's pretty hard to find a room for rent for less than $500-$600 here, in most areas, now. Usually it's somewhat more. Roommates, as I said, are pretty much a given.

Credit cards are where many people make up the slack, I guess.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Does college-town = big live-in campus communities?

Because I can't think of any "college towns" in the greater Bay Area at all (that's many different cities)...we just have colleges that happen to be located in one city or another.

Very true about the non-coast smaller city/town vs. big cityish aspect tho. Still, people have to work/school here too....or move out of state. >_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

But I guess if everyone knows private security firms are a joke...

Some are, some are most definitely not and are better armed than some S.W.A.T. teams - it depends on the level you are talking about. >_<

the vast majority of security guards i ever see around are either fat or old (or both) pacific islanders

and half the time they sit in their cars and sleep

Sheep have no value over there. Why hire good security? :)

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Does college-town = big live-in campus communities?

Because I can't think of any "college towns" in the greater Bay Area at all (that's many different cities)...we just have colleges that happen to be located in one city or another.

Very true about the non-coast smaller city/town vs. big cityish aspect tho. Still, people have to work/school here too....or move out of state. :)

You have to head into the Central Valley to find what would be called a college town. San Louis Obisbo to the South, Chico to the North. Fresno isn't too far.

You can get student loans to cover rent. It's easier to get it if you live in the dorms, but then again the dorms are often more expensive.

And student loans are really not a bad way to go. The interest rates are miniscule, you have forever to pay them off, and you don't start paying until 6 months after you stop being a student.

Sluggos doesn't seem to be keen on the plan, though.

My brother worked security as a bouncer for a while. He's a lamb, but he has the scariest stare in the world. He never onec had to fight anyone! ;)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

dorms usually come with meals, too. CA has free college anyway, right? note, too, that i said "particularly anywhere removed from either coast."

taks

Free? We have junior colleges, which are much cheaper, but nothing is free in this world.

Community/jr. colleges are definitely a cheaper way to start out than going to a University right away, but nope, they're not free. ;)

I bought a giant bag of unsalted peanuts-in-the-shell and am having a grand ol' time tossing them out into the yard and watching the squirrels come down and bicker over them. Squirrels are just too cute. I know, I know, they're rodents w/fluffy tails - but there's something about 'em.

I didn't sleep last night. I was too tired and couldn't remember why I have to sleep. Feeling very spacey now. Watched three hours of Sharpe, and keep muttering about thrashing the French.

EDIT: I found this

. Not bad.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I didn't sleep last night. I was too tired and couldn't remember why I have to sleep. Feeling very spacey now. Watched three hours of Sharpe, and keep muttering about thrashing the French.

. Not bad.

Are the Sharpe movies good? I've read every one of the books, they were fantastic.

. Not bad.

Are the Sharpe movies good? I've read every one of the books, they were fantastic.

Watched The Sharpes series back in the nineties on A&E. I remember them being really good. I've always wanted to get the DVDs, but they are insanely expensive. We're talking anime prices.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Trying to figure out the best way to build a casual but semi-permanent shelter for our lawnmowers/bikes and things that doesn't cross the 'can't build a perm. structure on the side of the house' line - and that can stand up to a lot of wind coming from one direction. They want way too much money for pre-built kits/thingies. :wub:

P.S. I'm also moping around over the nearing of the big 4-0 birthday. Heheh

Edited by LadyCrimson

Free? We have junior colleges, which are much cheaper, but nothing is free in this world.

no tuition at state schools if you are a CA resident.

taks

I wish that were true. Tuition is cheaper if you are a CA resident, not free. When I went it was about $1200 a semester for a full time student, out of state was about twice that. Today I think it's closer to $2000 for a resident, but I could be wrong on that. I know it's gone up.

^It's termed as registration fees and not tuition. Technically, UCs don't charge tuitions for CA residents. They just pay a ridiculously high $2500 fee every quarter (and that was a couple years ago). My teacher was telling me how it was only a couple hundred bucks during his days...

^It's termed as registration fees and not tuition. Technically, UCs don't charge tuitions for CA residents. They just pay a ridiculously high $2500 fee every quarter (and that was a couple years ago). My teacher was telling me how it was only a couple hundred bucks during his days...

Ah, I guess that makes sense. I went to San Jose State, and I always called it tuition, but I suppose it could have been called something else.

Sitting here at work, staring out of the corner of my eye at the Sapphire ATI Radeon 4780X2 lying on my desk... trying to very hard to stay focused on work... must stay focused... :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

. Not bad.

Sean Bean is superbly cheesy for speechifying. Eveything else is pretty good too. It's shot on location in terrain verys imilar to that in question. Uniforms and mannerisms seem very accurate. The plots are a bit implausible, but otherthan that...

I'd definitely recommend.

-Elwood Blues