What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

Far Cry 2 yay

but I'm going to wait for my new gpu to arrive so it'll look pretty

How is it? I'm strongly considering buying this tomorrow (when it's released here in Sweden). I've heard some worrying reviews and some encouraging ones so I can't make up my mind yet. Wish there was a demo! Why can't all games have a demo?!

The IGN review was very positive. The few things that the reviewer didn't like, such as a lot of travel and the quest structure, wouldn't bother me. I was planning to get it as soon as I can. An open world shooter would be so totally sweet.

What bad things have you heard?

edit: I just checked metacritic. It shows one mediocre review (a 70 from Gamespy) but everything else is 85 or higher. It seems bugfree (mostly) and is being compared to STALKER more than anything else (except less buggy than STALKER). COnsidering how much I loved STALKER, I'm pretty sold at this point.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Warn us if they pull any sci-fi ****.

Though I don't get how it's related to Far Cry.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Warn us if they pull any sci-fi ****.

Though I don't get how it's related to Far Cry.

It's not at all. The IGN reviewer sorta complained about that. A mild complaint. Its just a marketing, name recognition thing. No mention of scifi. Just mercs and guns. Plus you get to operate on yourself and pull out bullets with a pair of pliers. SO Ramboesque! I might buy it for that reason alone.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, I read that the respawns in some checkpoints get annoying very quick since you have to travel the same roads and kill the same enemies every five minutes. I also read that the story suffers from being so open and quick to adjust to the player's actions (not really a bad thing to me.. all I really need to know is that I'm supposed to hunt the Jackal).

Some people are complaining about the weapons that keep breaking. This WAS a problem to me in System Shock 2 (since they broke down before you could empty a single clip, almost), but if you can fire your weapon a realistic amount of times (1000 rounds?) before them becoming a nuisance, it's quite OK.

Someone complained about the PC version feeling like a console port. I really hope this is not true. Another complained about shadows being broken (as in unrealistically tough for the system on anything above Medium settings). I don't care about that.

I can't remember anything else off the bat.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I can see why. Couldn,t they make a whole new franchise? Ubisoft can definitly pull that off.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well, I read that the respawns in some checkpoints get annoying very quick since you have to travel the same roads and kill the same enemies every five minutes. I also read that the story suffers from being so open and quick to adjust to the player's actions (not really a bad thing to me.. all I really need to know is that I'm supposed to hunt the Jackal).

Some people are complaining about the weapons that keep breaking. This WAS a problem to me in System Shock 2 (since they broke down before you could empty a single clip, almost), but if you can fire your weapon a realistic amount of times (1000 rounds?) before them becoming a nuisance, it's quite OK.

Someone complained about the PC version feeling like a console port. I really hope this is not true. Another complained about shadows being broken (as in unrealistically tough for the system on anything above Medium settings). I don't care about that.

I can't remember anything else off the bat.

Those aren't too bad. I don't have the same problem with respawns that some gamers do. The respawns in STALKER were pretty rapid but they didn't bother me. In an open world, you need to keep it populated to some degree or it will end up feeling empty.

As far as story goes, I'm totally with you. Just give me an objective and let me get to it. Bioware can keep the dang cutscenes and romances and Valve can keep the super scripted linear path. Give me freedom!

Breaking weapons don't bother me either! This is great.

COnsole port might be more of an issue if the controls suffer. But the IGN review said it looked better on PC, so I'm hoping its not a straight port but more of a multi-platform development. And if the shadows are a problem, I'll just turn them off. Won't even notice it after a bit.

So sweet! Looks like I'll pick it up tomorrow. :sorcerer:

Severance, I'm at the Island of Karum(karum akkad. "port"). The boss is a freaking vampire with a life sucking axe AND SHIELD. Which means you'll have to destroy the shield before concentrating on damaging that bastard, because he's fast and a great blocker. Problem is, every time your character accidentally or purposefully hits the shield, the boss drains as many hitpoints as your attack did damage. Ergo, first you'll have to slog through his shield, heal yourself(gods help you, if you are out of potions) and finally cause some damage to him. Then again, his weapon is still vampiric, he(or it)'s still too fast for most combos and when you finally beat him down to around 1500 health, he starts to teleport behind you and combo your ass. Soon, his health is full(unless you either keep your back to a wall or use the horribly clumsy back attack) again and you might as well reload.

This guy is harder than NG2 Erzebeth, I swear.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Finished Dead Space and I immediately hopped onto the demo of King's Bounty: The Legend.

O-M-G.

I am reminded again that a game doesn't need to have fancy bloom or super shader card to make a game look so beautiful and immersive. The RPG turn-base tactical gameplay is solid, though it can be quite unforgiving for first timers. For slow learners, in the long run may be overwhelming since the key in progressing the game depends on decisive victories considering the limited resources available.

The story plot so far is typical and simple. But the characters in the game makes up for it with their personality and humour to keep the experience engaged and entertaining. I heard your character could get a wife in the game for stats bonus, children even too!

Gonna get the full game once I get my paycheck.

I was playing Oblivion, but then I realized how mind-numbingly boring the game was -even with multiple gigabytes of mods, although they did help hide that fact- and why I uninstalled it all those months ago. Oh well, I guess I'll give Clear Sky another go or maybe play one of the classics like Fallout 2 - although with everyone playing Bloodlines I might do that instead. :thumbsup:

securom2gu8.png

Severance, I'm at the Island of Karum(karum akkad. "port"). The boss is a freaking vampire with a life sucking axe AND SHIELD. Which means you'll have to destroy the shield before concentrating on damaging that bastard, because he's fast and a great blocker. Problem is, every time your character accidentally or purposefully hits the shield, the boss drains as many hitpoints as your attack did damage. Ergo, first you'll have to slog through his shield, heal yourself(gods help you, if you are out of potions) and finally cause some damage to him. Then again, his weapon is still vampiric, he(or it)'s still too fast for most combos and when you finally beat him down to around 1500 health, he starts to teleport behind you and combo your ass. Soon, his health is full(unless you either keep your back to a wall or use the horribly clumsy back attack) again and you might as well reload.

This guy is harder than NG2 Erzebeth, I swear.

Old Skool and good man.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

It's an awesome game, man.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Started Far Cry 2. Seems pretty OK so far. I accidentally set the countryside on fire with my flamethrower. oops. Then I dropped my best rifle in the grass and couldn't find it again so I had to pick up some dead guys rusted piece of junk rifle. Great.

And oh, I keep throwing grenades when I'm trying to lean and look around corners. Going to have to reassign that Q key, I think.

ANd I turned off the music. Game is much more immersive without it.

Seems pretty OK so far.

But I don't want OK. I want mind-blowing. Or at least STALKER-esque awesomeness.

I didn't get it today. Maybe tomorrow.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I just bought Lionheart over GOG. Let's hope it won't suck.

Too late. It started sucking years ago.

dark messiah of might and magic on xbox360

only just got to some temple of spider thingies or something, but the plot seems rather stupidly obvious so far :)

and it's awfully convenient just how many spike racks are just lying around, waiting for you to kick dudes onto them

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I think the awesome/suckage dichotomy has struck again.

It's a mediocre game, but there are enjoyable parts and the setting is interesting. I played it until I got to a part where you had to have the 'right' build or die. It's a game that encourages specialization.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.