Books

Gorth

The Dolphins of Pern - Tells how the dolphins came to be on Pern, and how they were made to be more intelligent than the human predecessors, and how their relations with humans were re-established after their decline for thousands of years.

Dragon Harper - About a kid, named Kindan, who recently had a watchweyr, (nocturnal version of a dragon), but gave it up to a girl whom is his friend, (:lol:), and goes to the Harper Hall, (essentially the culture, skill, and learning center of all of Pern). Unfortunately, a quarter of Pern's people are wiped out by the end due to a pandemic plague.

Dragon's Kin - Same kid as last time, (Kindan), except before the plague, and Harper Hall. He's in a mining camp, (Camp Natalon), and how most of his family, as well as his father's watchweyr, (different than his), were killed in the mines. After that, he is fostered by Master Zist, (of the Harper Hall), whom takes him as his personal apprentice. Unfortunately, he is saddled with the problems of the mine, whom now has no watchweyr, (who are extremely adept in seeing stale air, where explosions might take place, as they see heat rather than actual shapes. A fire is like the sun right in their face to them, so they know where heat is), and since his father had one, they force him to end his apprenticeship so he may Impress, (the bonding of a human and dragon/watchwher/fire-lizard) one.

Whoa, that was a little more indepth, :p Although, I've already read all these, by Anne McCaffrey.

I just got today Darkness, Alector's Choice, and Scepters by L.E. Modesitt, (Jr.), because I absolutely loved his Soarer's Choice, as they had a completely unique, and very strange, set of magic, combined with modern weapons.

(edit) Also, I loved the Wheel of Fortune.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

an ex tried to persuade me to read Anne Rice's vampire chronicles

i laughed in her face

I'd just be glad it wasn't Twilight.

damn if it's worse than Anne Rice's stuff than it must be really bad :lol:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

an ex tried to persuade me to read Anne Rice's vampire chronicles

i laughed in her face

I'd just be glad it wasn't Twilight.

damn if it's worse than Anne Rice's stuff than it must be really bad :lol:

Oh it is.

damn if it's worse than Anne Rice's stuff than it must be really bad :ermm:

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt is good.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I read the first book for Rice's Vampire stuff and while it ultimately didn't leave me wanting more, it wasn't really awful.

My biggest problems with any of the Rice books I've read is the perception I get that around page 300 the major characters all do something grossly stupid - often even pointing out that they're doing something stupid - for very little reason beyond a need to add 300 more pages to the book.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Finally my copy of Musashi Miyamoto's "The book of Five Rings" (Illustrated version) has arrived.

It's quiite pithy, and I believe it was written by a mentalist. But I personally prefer the more structured approach of Sun Tzu. Of course, Tzu couldn't draw.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Rereading Masterharper of Pern.

Alector's Choice, Darknesses, and Scepters by L.E. Modesitt Jr. I liked Soarer's Choice, so I thought I might as well pick up on the rest of the series.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Since moving to Memphis I have become very interested in the American Civil War (sort of come with being in the "old south" and seeing a few old battlefields first hand). So keeping in that vein I picked up a great book called Three Years With Quantrill by John McCorkle. McCorkle was a soldier under Captain William Quantrill (one of the most maligned figures in American history) during the border skirmishes and fighting in Missouri including the Lawrence Massacre. I'm finding more and more that when I read history I much prefer the accounts of eye witnesses who are not writing a viewpoint seen through the prism of modern politics and prejudices. Great book, if you like American history, particularly Civil War history, check it out.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...

Now reading Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzalez, and Sea of Gray: The Around-the-World Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah by Tom Chaffin. This one is really good. If you like Moby ****, or the Sea Wolf, or are a fan of true history check this one out. I can't believe it's never bee made into a movie.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Since moving to Memphis I have become very interested in the American Civil War (sort of come with being in the "old south" and seeing a few old battlefields first hand). So keeping in that vein I picked up a great book called Three Years With Quantrill by John McCorkle. McCorkle was a soldier under Captain William Quantrill (one of the most maligned figures in American history) during the border skirmishes and fighting in Missouri including the Lawrence Massacre. I'm finding more and more that when I read history I much prefer the accounts of eye witnesses who are not writing a viewpoint seen through the prism of modern politics and prejudices. Great book, if you like American history, particularly Civil War history, check it out.

Have you read Killer Angels? You might enjoy that one, too.

My latest books: Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind, and assorted books on writing fiction.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo.

Story WIP: The Dragonfighters

My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom

Special thank you to my kids who keep adding achievement points to my gamercard.... :D

Jae%20Onasi.png

Have you read Killer Angels? You might enjoy that one, too.

That was a great book. The other two in the series Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure were not as good but I think that is mainly due to the author not the story. Jeff Shara who wrote Angels was a better writer than his son who wrote the other two.

Thomas Sowell

The Colour of Magic, which I believe is the first book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

It's pretty good, but I guess I'm a little disappointed because I am a huge Douglas Adams fan and everytime I mentioned that people were like "you should read Terry Pratchett, he's even better". And I usually don't take people by their word so quickly, but when at least fifteen people say the same thing to me I can't help but build up a certain expectation.

Rincewind is a great character though, and DEATH IS A VERY INTERESTING CHOICE FOR A SUPPORTING CHARACTER.

The Colour of Magic, which I believe is the first book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

It's pretty good, but I guess I'm a little disappointed because I am a huge Douglas Adams fan and everytime I mentioned that people were like "you should read Terry Pratchett, he's even better". And I usually don't take people by their word so quickly, but when at least fifteen people say the same thing to me I can't help but build up a certain expectation.

Rincewind is a great character though, and DEATH IS A VERY INTERESTING CHOICE FOR A SUPPORTING CHARACTER.

The first few books are little... atypical of the series. Once you get to, say... Guards! Guards!, you should have a clearer idea of whether you want to stick with the series or not. Personally, I started with Jingo.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

There are really four major book types in Diskworld

Rincewind centric

Watch Centric

Death Centric and

Witch Centric.

Each one revolves around a specific group of characters, but has elements of the other types within (for example, Death is in almost every Single book).

Also you might try reading Good Omens. It's a collaboration between Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Finally my copy of Musashi Miyamoto's "The book of Five Rings" (Illustrated version) has arrived.

I remember reading once how American businessmen in the 80's would read that book trying to gain a perspective into Japanese culture and how the Japanese in turn thought it was hilarious.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The Dolphin's Bell by Anne McCaffrey.

A Gift of Dragons by Anne McCaffrey.

At first, didn't really like Bell, but it turned good in the end.

Gift of Dragons was really mixed. It's four short(er) stories put into one book. The one I liked most didn't even mention a single dragon through-out the entire story, so I thought that was weird. The other two were good, but the last one I really hated because of how McCaffrey treated her later in the series, and now I can't stand her, (some girl named Aramina who can hear dragons, is trying to avoid capture from bandits whom would use that ability to avoid the Riders).

Raymond Chandler-- Farewell My Lovely

I always knew you were a man of taste. :devil: I love Raymond Chandler.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Some final words coming from George Carlin

Jul 14, 1:53 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Some final thoughts are coming from George Carlin.

Free Press, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, said Tuesday that the comedian's book "Last Words" will be published in November.

Carlin died in June 2008 at age 71 and worked on the book for the last decade of his life. He collaborated on it with author and humorist Tony Hendra.

Hendra is best known for the memoir "Father Joe."

Carlin's other books included "Brain Droppings" and "Napalm and Silly Putty."

Now reading The Deerslayer by James Ferimore Cooper. I'm not a big fan of classics per se but I've always wanted to read this one. Also reading Lee by Douglas Southall Freeman, a biography of General Robert E Lee.

Thomas Sowell

Dashiell Hammett -- The Big Knockover (collection of short stories)

The detective story kick goes on. Hammett's prose isn't quite as satisfying as Chandler's, but it's really the source of the essential 'hardboiled' character that Chandler took and worked with. (Yes, I am reading these in the wrong order.) Still quite satisfying, though.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel

I've been told it's good. Plus it has magic. :thumbsup:

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.