Books

Gorth

These last two weeks I've read

Demon Eyes - Horrible 'supernatural horror' book about sex vampires or, as the Wise Old Walking Exposition character calls them 'soul f--kers.' Avoid at all cost.

White Witch, Black Curse - Bloated, poorly plotted angst fest. Don't read unless you're already invested in the series.

Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne - Light fantasy adventure. Good for a quick read.

Death Masks - Book five of the Dresden files, and the first one I've read. Great story about a wizard in modern day Chicago fighting supernatural baddies. I went out and got four more books from this series, it was that good.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

On Dragonwings, by Anne McCaffrey - Part of the Dragonriders of Pern series. I haven't read much of the series, but what I have, it's much more, ah, medieval...than this. This is a whole lot of Sci-Fi I didn't know existed in this series.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Still waiting for my copy of the illustrated version of "The Book of Five Rings" to arrive with the mail.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't think I mentioend it, but I just finished a duo of books by Jeff Long: The Descent and Deeper

That looks good, I put it on my list.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

On Dragonwings, by Anne McCaffrey - Part of the Dragonriders of Pern series. I haven't read much of the series, but what I have, it's much more, ah, medieval...than this. This is a whole lot of Sci-Fi I didn't know existed in this series.

I only read one pern novel and it struck me as less traditional than most... people got along and musicians were great... it's like all the good stuff from the Renaissance, mixed it with traditional fantasy, and removed the concept of war (instead any disagreements were handled in knife duels). but then my window was rather small (I read the "Dragonharper of pern" or whatever)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I only read one pern novel and it struck me as less traditional than most... people got along and musicians were great... it's like all the good stuff from the Renaissance, mixed it with traditional fantasy, and removed the concept of war (instead any disagreements were handled in knife duels). but then my window was rather small (I read the "Dragonharper of pern" or whatever)

That, too, was my first book read of the series, (Masterharper of Pern, ;)). Perhaps you should try On Dragonwings. At first, I thought it was going to be a historial reciting, but it's the actual story on how humans came to Pern, how they bioengineer-ed the original dragons, how they got larger over time, etc. It's actually quite interesting. Perhaps you should give it a read.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

After talking about The Wheel of TIme with Purkake in the Dragon Age thread, I decided to give it another shot. I went out and bought The Eye of The World (since I had thrown my previous copy out long ago).

The Eye of the World is pretty good, so I wil enjoy reading it again. How long I can stick with the series, I don't know.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

After talking about The Wheel of TIme with Purkake in the Dragon Age thread, I decided to give it another shot. I went out and bought The Eye of The World (since I had thrown my previous copy out long ago).

The Eye of the World is pretty good, so I wil enjoy reading it again. How long I can stick with the series, I don't know.

It's been a long time since I gave up on Jordan. But, IMO,

Perrin's Scouring of the Shire Two Rivers is a good stopping point, which is somewhere midway through the 4th book.

It's a somewhat formulaic and simplistic episode, but it's well paced and satisfying. The series goes downhill from there rather rapidly, as all of the major characters have become too alien or unlikeable to generate much empathy from the reader.

I'm reading the recently departed (and fantastically talented) David Foster Wallace's Consider the Lobster, which is a collection of essays that were published in major magazines.

Death Masks - Book five of the Dresden files, and the first one I've read. Great story about a wizard in modern day Chicago fighting supernatural baddies. I went out and got four more books from this series, it was that good.

Hmm... I've heard about the Dresden Files before. Maybe they deserve a closer look.

Currently reading Robert Earl: "The Adventures of Florin and Lorenzo".

As usual with the supporting literature of a game world (Warhammer), there is a lot of trash and then some real gems among them. This is one such story that could have taken place in a real or fantasy medieval world setting and still be a good story. Good action, interesting characters (main and side) and some really dark humour (dead pan?) delivered in places.

The book I am looking most forward to at the moment is Alan Campbells "God of Clocks". I love his Deepgate Codex series so far. I can't recommend this series enough. Not bad for a game designer turned writer.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm reading the recently departed (and fantastically talented) David Foster Wallace's Consider the Lobster, which is a collection of essays that were published in major magazines.

DFW was a great writer and a totally cool guy. It is very sad.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I just finished Toll the Hounds the latest in The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I enjoyed it, the general impression of this one has been "loved it/loathed it." And I definitely fit in the 1st camp. If you liked the series to this point, you should like this. I think it was better than Reaper's Gale. But not as good as Memories of Ice or The Bonehunters. Things are definitely more on the "personal" level in this book, as opposed to some of the epic scales of the earlier books of the series.

I'm currently reading Anathem from Neal Stephenson. The world-building in that is simply awesome. And as usual, if you like Stephenson's "intellectual asides" from his other series, you'll find them here with a vengeance. And you never know what supposed "throw-away" is actually a hidden plot nugget until the end.

On deck is R. Scott Bakker's The Judging Eye. I'll have to reread the original series first however, to regain my bearings for that.

I love Glen Cook as well, his new series, The Instrumentalities of the Night, should be getting a new book in it this year. *crosses fingers* It has all the gallows/mercenary humor of The Black Company, and a lot more political intrigue in it. Not saying it's better, but he definitely shows that he can play the "intrigues" game in this series as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Man's War by John Scalzi. I'm really enjoying this one. If you like Sci Fi give it a look. Also reading My Life in the Irish Brigade a memoir written by a soldier from the 116th Pennsylvania Infantry during the first two years of the American Civil War. His descriptions of the first battle of Fredericksburg are absolutely amazing.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Old Man's War by John Scalzi. I'm really enjoying this one. If you like Sci Fi give it a look. Also reading My Life in the Irish Brigade a memoir written by a soldier from the 116th Pennsylvania Infantry during the first two years of the American Civil War. His descriptions of the first battle of Fredericksburg are absolutely amazing.

I'll have to check that out.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The book I am looking most forward to at the moment is Alan Campbells "God of Clocks". I love his Deepgate Codex series so far. I can't recommend this series enough. Not bad for a game designer turned writer.

I don't know what it is about game designers and endings... Ye gods of my ancestors! :lol:

Like the two previous volumes, It is just full of awesome. That is. until the last third of this book. Then the story completely disintegrates in a mix of cop outs and deus ex machina in equal measures =]

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm currently looking for a book to read.

Like a different view on historical events (a "what if" book).. Do you guys know any good ones?

I know this is a bit late but let me give you some names in my favorite genre to start easy :thumbsup:

Eric Flint & David Drake: Belisarius Saga

Eric Flint: 1632

Another Eric Flint 1812 This one is a free e-book. Check Chapter 54 for explanations Alternate History books in general.

Naomi Novik: Temeraire

There is the Colonisation Saga by Harry Turtledove but I couldn't find a decent page to link t

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

I started The Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy last night. I read for two hours and only got to page 75.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Finally my copy of Musashi Miyamoto's "The book of Five Rings" (Illustrated version) has arrived.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Picked up Dragon Never Sleeps by Glenn Cook. Not as good as his previous titles. The narrative is slippery compared to the others, constantly changing it's focus around the characters, but also it feels like I lost a couple of major events, and the sense of time is REALLY screwy.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I just finished Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon, which is a Blade Runner-esque cyberpunk novel. All in all, it was pretty good, I especially liked the descriptions and the world that Morgan created. There were a few things that really annoyed me: the plot is hard to follow at times, there are a few (very) implausible things in the world and the (two) sex scenes(while being really good) are way too long.

The characters are pretty interesting, even if the main protagonist is a cold hearted SOB. I do really dislike the first person viewpoint in the book though, it feels very constrictive.

The Dollhouse-esque technology poses a lot of interesting philosophical questions and the book deals with most of them really well while not being in-the-face like a lot of other books. I especially liked a scene where two copies of the protagonist were deciding which one of them will continue on as the character.

If I had to rate it, I would give it a solid 4 out of 5.

Also, I have some questions if anyone has read it:

1. Was Kawahara an AI and what did she do to make Bancroft kill himself(I missed that part somehow)

2. What happened to Sarah?

Edited by Purkake

Lies. That series isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I weep for the forests that gave their lives to be churned into a multi-volume piece of human waste.

Also:

I've read Palimpsest (great), The Night Battles (Didn't finish - boring), and Genesis (150 pages - interesting ideas, flat narrative. Would be good for high school lit class along with 1981, BWN, etc)

Go out and get Palimpsest. It's phatasmagorical fantasy about four people in the real world who travel to a living city in their dreams that will fulfill any/all of their desires.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Lies. That series isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I weep for the forests that gave their lives to be churned into a multi-volume piece of human waste.

Also:

I've read Palimpsest (great), The Night Battles (Didn't finish - boring), and Genesis (150 pages - interesting ideas, flat narrative. Would be good for high school lit class along with 1981, BWN, etc)

Go out and get Palimpsest. It's phatasmagorical fantasy about four people in the real world who travel to a living city in their dreams that will fulfill any/all of their desires.

The trick is to get it in audiobook form and listen to it while commuting/working out/whatever. It is drawn out at times, but I really love the different perspectives that you get from being in the head of so many different characters.