Books

Gorth

I have really, really hard time believeing Herman Hesse's book can be worst ever

Ever heard of articles? :( That book is quite possible the most boring book ever.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I have really, really hard time believeing Herman Hesse's book can be worst ever

Ever heard of articles? :( That book is quite possible the most boring book ever.

Well, considering my sudden loss of belief in literature as artfrom (in comparison to music and movies) nearly all I nowadays read ARE articles.

Heck, currently I'm reading exhanges between physicist Henry Stapp (known for solving Bell's Theorem and his work on S-Matrix Theory [who I've quoted in my profile btw]) and philosopher John Searle (your average modern-day compatibilist).

And some stuff that clearly shows why Daniel Dennet blows (sorry Dawkins!) :)

As well as rather interesting paper taking very critical, philosophical stance against "Scientiphicalism".

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Well, considering my sudden loss of belief in literature as artfrom (in comparison to music and movies) nearly all I nowadays read ARE articles.

Heck, currently I'm reading exhanges between physicist Henry Stapp (known for solving Bell's Theorem and his work on S-Matrix Theory [who I've quoted in my profile btw]) and philosopher John Searle (your average modern-day compatibilist).

And some stuff that clearly shows why Daniel Dennet blows (sorry Dawkins!) :p

As well as rather interesting paper taking very critical, philosophical stance against "Scientiphicalism".

I meant these articles, not the scientific ones. :)

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

oh... :(

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Tyrion

?

Arya

?

The Hound (probably)

? Fascinating. Despite numerous brushes with death, they live.

yeah but think of what else happens to them :(

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

That article comment was comic gold. :D

I can't find the comment! Give me the comedy, ice-hockey man!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

the cartography series from Michael A Stackpole. Good series, if a little bit unexplained at times (he got magic doing WHAT!?)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Stackpole... stackpole... what else has he done?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Star Wars novels? At least I think it's the same Stackpole.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

That'd be it. I gave up reading them after I read about someone cutting/digging their way into a fething MOUNTAIN using a lightsaber. It was like that point when you're kids and someone refuses to die after the 'bang bang'. I felt really sorry for the poor stormtroopers. They'd done a proper professional job of securing their fortress and the jedi just get silly.

-Elwood Blues

Going out soon and will pick up Rushdie's Enchantress of Florence. Never got around to trying him before (and dont know much about the controversies) but read a few pages of it yesterday and was interested.

Anybody want to warn me off/etc?

Rushdie's passe, since we're ALL now the targets of extremists. :)

-Elwood Blues

*shrug* I've kept myself in the dark about all that hoopla since it didn't really strike me as particularly relevant or important... halfway through the book and it's a nice read, just nothing particularly special. I like the setting and the way he's brought that about, really, and it's serving well as a light holiday read.

My mother read The Satanic Verses, and she said it was mediocre. I doubt it would have sold many copies if it hadn't been for the fatwah, issued two years after it was published (which I'm sure had nothing to do with postwar frustration with Iran's clerics).

-Elwood Blues

I can imagine. The Enchantress is neither intellectually stimulating nor emotionally moving: it is not a 'quality' book. In fact, I feel like I'm reading one of Eco's more lackadaisical novels - but again, its a fun light read.

I could have also picked up Amitav Ghosh's Sea of Poppies instead, but as entertaining as he is, he is also torturous. I'm not sure why. I think I wish that these contemporary writers wouldn't focus so much on self-indulgent, contradictory characters who use sexual debauchery to symbolise postmodernist identity, either. It's getting really trite.

Just finished Death's Head by David Gunn. I don't actually read much fantasy or sci-fi anymore, but after this maybe I should.

SPOILERZ

100% schlock, a sort of gross-out Starship Troopers on acid. Our hero is an amoral space legionnaire (I thinking Vin Diesel for the movie role) recruited (after being found living with a barbaric alien tribe in a cave who eat his girlfriend - it's that sort of story) into a parody of the SS (I'm faintly reminded of the Gran Bretan legions of Moorc0ck's Hawkmoon series). He then undertakes some assassination missions and finds a talking, semi-sentient gun (Lilacor from BG2 with bullets) before being thrown into a Stalingrad-esque future warzone fighting "The Uplifted" (people mutating into cyborg-computer hybrids). There's a brilliant tongue-in-cheek reference to the UN / Liberal West in the "United Free", an enormously powerful utopian race of politically correct beings who encourage endless negotiations to stop wars without actually doing anything.

I couldn't put it down. It's the literary equivalent of a pack of twinkies and a six pack.

Congratulations, Mr. Gunn. Just when I thought people were forgetting that sci-fi might be (quel horreur!) fun and jaded you came along. Can't wait for the next book.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Anyway, I'm reading book called Life After Death that mostly deals with different conceptions of death and afterlife in different cultures. Really insightful and and informing book, polynesians beliefs were some heavy **** back in the day

Man, this book is ****ing awesome. I hope J.E has read it with his fascination about religion and history etc. since this book deals with it greatly. And how could it not be awesome when it was written (or more like collected and edited the pieces together) by no other than Arnold Toynbee and Arthur Koestler

Edited by Xard

I just picked up The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I haven't read any fantasy in a while. Anyone ever heard of it? I just saw it on the shelf.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That'd be it. I gave up reading them after I read about someone cutting/digging their way into a fething MOUNTAIN using a lightsaber. It was like that point when you're kids and someone refuses to die after the 'bang bang'. I felt really sorry for the poor stormtroopers. They'd done a proper professional job of securing their fortress and the jedi just get silly.

he also did most of the mainline battletech stuff back in the day, then he quit because they didn't give him enough money/recognition for the fans he was bringing, and the star wars books he did were only the Xwing novels and maybe a few comics. He also has some really fun fantasy stuff (dragons vs guns for example)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

David Sedaris ~ Me Talk Pretty One Day

I laugh and I laugh

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Its 3:56 am and I just finished A Feast for Crows. Thank god tomorrow is Labor Day.

I can't wait for the next book. All the characters I've previously loathed I now feel sorry for or have a new respect for. My hat off to you again Mr. Martin.

While I'm waiting, I'm going to read Shadows of the Forgotten Ancestors by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan. I am somewhat fascinated by biology and evolution and the question on how we got here.

Bought Hobb's Renegade's Magic.

I'll see how it turns out to be this week.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 3 weeks later...

New Hitchhiker's author announced.

Children's author Eoin Colfer has been commissioned to write a sixth instalment of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series.

Mostly Harmless, the last Hitchhiker book, was written by its creator, the late Douglas Adams, 16 years ago.

Now Adams's widow, Jane Belson, has given her approval to bring back the hapless Arthur Dent in a new book entitled And Another Thing...

Eoin Colfer, 43, is best known for the best-selling Artemis Fowl novels.

Has anyone read the Artemis Fowl novels? Is he up to Douglas Adams' standard?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)