Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir Discussion

hmm... makes one wonder whether this painfully slow process of telling us all about BG3 (regardless of opinions on the topic of BG3 itself) is related to the 4E thing? i.e., could other D&D games be in the pipe but held back simply because they started after wotc had nailed down the majority of the 4E rules and likewise, chose to schedule all new games under that banner rather than 3.5E?

That could be the case. I remember the rumors that BG3 is going to be produced (but did not have a developer yet) in 2004 when Atari representative stated something to that effect on the forums. Some more rumors have since appeared, but it was all a long time ago. Perhaps we hear so little about it, because the game was hugely delayed due to the decision (either on Atari's part or being 'forced' by Hasbro/WotC) to change the 3.5E system to 4E. I can see how such a change could account for why it is taking them so long to get the game to a presentable state - that is if the current rumors and the 2004 rumors are connected.

That's pretty much going to be the last PC D&D RPG, because Atari announced that they want to focus on casual and handheld games in the future.

why wouldn't they want to licence further PC games?

it isn't like it costs them anything & i ain't never heard of a business that didn't want to make more money...

dumber than a bag of hammers

That's pretty much going to be the last PC D&D RPG, because Atari announced that they want to focus on casual and handheld games in the future.

why wouldn't they want to licence further PC games?

it isn't like it costs them anything & i ain't never heard of a business that didn't want to make more money...

I just attribute this to an interview with the newly appointed CEO (the former Sony boss), who said there will be some major restructuring, and focus on online, casual, handheld stuff.... so that means we're possibly seeing more Premium modules for NWN2, but I'm not so sure about another full blown PC RPG.

I just attribute this to an interview with the newly appointed CEO (the former Sony boss), who said there will be some major restructuring, and focus on online, casual, handheld stuff.... so that means we're possibly seeing more Premium modules for NWN2, but I'm not so sure about another full blown PC RPG.

again, WOTC don't make the games, they just licence other people to make them & rake in the cash. they hardly need to restructure in order to licence handheld games, and it wouldn't require them to stop licencing PC games either.

you can chew gum & walk at the same time.

Edited by newc0253

again, WOTC don't make the games, they just licence other people to make them & rake in the cash. they hardly need to restructure in order to licence handheld games, and it wouldn't require them to stop licencing PC games either.

you can chew gum & walk at the same time.

I think Morgoth was referring to Atari's policy, not WotC's policy. As a publisher, Atari does more than just license games.

As a publisher, Atari does more than just license games.

strictly speaking, as a publisher, Atari doesn't licence games at all. it has a licence from Hasbro to publish D&D games, but there's nothing to stop Hasbro licencing another publisher.

As a publisher, Atari does more than just license games.

strictly speaking, as a publisher, Atari doesn't licence games at all. it has a licence from Hasbro to publish D&D games, but there's nothing to stop Hasbro licencing another publisher.

I believe Atari's license is exclusive and long-term. It probably has years to run before it expires.

Getting back to Storm of Zehir discussion, since Atari already has the license, it might as well milk it with more NWN2 expansion. I guess getting milked is not bad in all circumstances! :)

From Matthew Rorie at the Bio boards:

Actually, there are a good number of skills that will reveal loot and hidden stuff on the overland map. Find trap might let you locate an ancient, broken-down trap in a forest, and allow you to dismantle it for parts you can sell later. Spellcraft will let you see hidden magical ruins that can be looted. Etc., etc. There really isn't three or four skills that should be focused on here, as even the obscure stuff will let you find some hidden goodies.

With that said, obviously the more skills that your lead character has, the better, but you can, again, flip between characters at any time to cycle through their skills.

SEXY! I really like this.

The thing is, let's say Atari exclusively focuses on casual & handheld games for its publishing portfolio. What the heck is the point of it holding onto the D&D license then... unless it goes for casual / handheld D&D games (eh)? If they go down that route, wouldn't it make a lot of business sense for them to let others use the license and pay them? I dont know how license laws work at all, but why would Atari pay Hasbro the $ for the license then just let it sit on its arse when they know the money to be made?

the point about licences is that, if the licensor feels the licence isn't being exploited properly, they can always rescind it no matter how long-term and exclusive Atari's licence is.

Atari may well be looking at ways to get the most out of the D&D licence & if they think there's money to be made in casual games and handhelds, then they're right to develop that.

what's unlikely is that WOTC will allow Atari to abandon the PC game market: not only are games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights potential gateways into D&D but 4e itself relies increasingly on PC tools. Hell, the biggest crowd that 4e is pitched at are the folks on PCs playing World of Warcraft - you can't tell me that WOTC would ever permit its licencee to ditch that potential market...

Edited by newc0253

Doesn't Hasbro have some kind of ownership/partial ownership of Atari anyways? They do, IIRC. So, in the end, Hasbro has some sort of say in what Atari does in general.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I looked into the ownership issue. Atari is a division of Infrogames (a French publishing company): http://corporate.infogrames.com/infogrames...07/04/atari.php

The confusion probably stems from the fact, that Atari Interactive, in fact, used to be a division of Hasbro, but was later sold off. Infrogames has recently increased its stake to 100% ownership of Atari. For more details see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari

Nice!

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p