Diablo 3 Officially Announced

Humodour

On a side note, SCII is absolutely amazing to follow as an esports-game. I find watching the big tournaments on quality streams to be more fun than playing the game itself.

Quite true. The actual playing at that level of skill and training to do so is a bloody chore.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

On a side note, SCII is absolutely amazing to follow as an esports-game. I find watching the big tournaments on quality streams to be more fun than playing the game itself.

Not that I disagree but isn't that an indication of a problem with it?

If spectating on a free stream is more fun than playing why buy the game in the first place?

Not that I disagree but isn't that an indication of a problem with it?

If spectating on a free stream is more fun than playing why buy the game in the first place?

Its not so much that it isn't fun its just inherited a lot of fanatical players from SC I that you can't hope to compete with. Being serious about SCII demands too much time and stress for most people.

Yeah, I've never won a match of SCII. I enjoy watching it as an e-sport more than I enjoy playing it.

I'm one of the few people who really enjoyed the campaign, but I can definitely see why most people wouldn't. It's very campy and over the top and makes no sense, I enjoy it very much in the way of a B-movie. I know most people expected something more. I didn't.

Does watching a professional football match make playing football meaningless?

No but professional football is a job done for money.

A game shouldn't be the first, and you ain't gonna see the second unless you're in the top 10.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

On the actual topic, D3 is now an MMO. Face it, just like many others it's just a free to play MMO (though they even have a monetary plan in place with the RMT AH). At least that's what it's sounding like. They just aren't calling it an MMO, but it bears all the hallmarks of one at this point.
It's not really MMO now is it ? I mean the name gives it a away, Massive Multiplayer Online, there are no Masses that you could play with simultanously. It certainly is Multiplayer Online but those games, and there are many others, have never had any designation indicating they feature multiplayer. There is no Darkspore MO, Starcraft MO or Battlefield MO and there definitely should not be Diablo 3 MO.

I think it's vast improvement over normal single player because it offers everything your run of the mill SP would, and more (AH, cloud saves, co-op, social network).

Of course it's MMO. Have you played an MMO recently. Many of them you simply group together with a few friends, which is normally a small number rather than a larger number. Some you don 't even group together, but create your own space to be in, or go out with a party. MMO's have various different ways of being together, but they all have the similiarity of many people in the same game on the same server at the same time...and while much of the game info is on your computer, it's played online with characters saved via online servers and without those servers you can't play.

I agree, Diablo 3 shouldn't be an MMO, but it is. They just have claimed an MMO as an SP game. Guildwars, DDO, Eve Online, and all the others could theoretically be played as an SP game too, but just like Blizzard wants you to play D3 online with friends in a party, you probably want to play those games with friends in a party too.

A game shouldn't be the first, and you ain't gonna see the second unless you're in the top 10.

I'm sorry but you're completely missing the point. Those who are passionate about sports or video games play them regardless, it's just convenient for them if they also get paid. And those of us with similar passion but no talent like to watch those games being played, and that's usually where the money starts coming in. E-sports just happens to be still in it's infancy and hasn't been able to build that money making machine yet, but that day will come for sure.

Of course it's MMO. Have you played an MMO recently. Many of them you simply group together with a few friends, which is normally a small number rather than a larger number. Some you don 't even group together, but create your own space to be in, or go out with a party. MMO's have various different ways of being together, but they all have the similiarity of many people in the same game on the same server at the same time...and while much of the game info is on your computer, it's played online with characters saved via online servers and without those servers you can't play.

I agree, Diablo 3 shouldn't be an MMO, but it is. They just have claimed an MMO as an SP game. Guildwars, DDO, Eve Online, and all the others could theoretically be played as an SP game too, but just like Blizzard wants you to play D3 online with friends in a party, you probably want to play those games with friends in a party too.

In a MMO you can't avoid other people. Every game you mentioned above has a zone/area where multiple people congregate, Diablo 3 doesn't have that. You could in theory play D3 in a way that you wouldn't _ever_ see or hear anyone else, and that's what makes it just a single player game with multiplayer component.

And it still misses the integral part of MMOs, being Massive. No matter how you put it, the maximum number of people in D3 at any given time is less than 10 (4v4 arena PVP matches). If less than 10 people is what qualifies for MMO status then we need to re-brand a lot of games out there.

A game shouldn't be the first, and you ain't gonna see the second unless you're in Korea.

I fixed it to be more accurate.

Blizzard VP 'Surprised' Over Fan Reaction To 'Diablo 3' Online Requirements

I think more have complained about the real money thing tho. It wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard changes their mind on that one. Which isn't to say I believe they will, just that it wouldn't surprise me.

At any rate, I'm still not buying the game. All those changes and my uneasiness about Activision/Blizzard as a company that I may not want to support anymore - I could "live with them/it" a while longer, and I'm sure I'd have fun with the game for a bit if I did, but I don't feel like it this time.

And no, always-online doesn't = MMO. Even with Diablo2, you could be on Closed Battle.net and never talk to/play with another soul if you wished. Probably won't be any different. For me it's the removal of choice...a principle thing. I don't care if there's no "open battlenet" (never used that anyway), but I do want an offline play mode. The duplication of character thing doesn't bother me & just sounds like an excuse. The extra work I can understand tho. Bah humbug. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Blizzard VP 'Surprised' Over Fan Reaction To 'Diablo 3' Online Requirements

I think more have complained about the real money thing tho. It wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard changes their mind on that one. Which isn't to say I believe they will, just that it wouldn't surprise me.

At any rate, I'm still not buying the game. All those changes and my uneasiness about Activision/Blizzard as a company that I may not want to support anymore - I could "live with them/it" a while longer, and I'm sure I'd have fun with the game for a bit if I did, but I don't feel like it this time.

They're just playing dumb. The huge amount of hate SCII got over the same issue was obvious for anyone to see.

As usual the pirates are going to have the most fun. They'll get a nicely cracked game without all the online garbage, and it will probably work better too.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

If it's like the crack for SC2, I don't think they'll have MP. Not like SC or D2 where they had fake Battle.net servers they could go on

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They'll get a nicely cracked game without all the online garbage, and it will probably work better too.
I don't doubt that D3 will get cracked eventually, but it might actually take a while because the crackers would have to build load/save game feature from scratch.

They'll get a nicely cracked game without all the online garbage, and it will probably work better too.
I don't doubt that D3 will get cracked eventually, but it might actually take a while because the crackers would have to build load/save game feature from scratch.

Dunno, SCII was cracked on release day. But that could complicate matters.

I don't care either way, never liked Diablo/Titans Quest/Torchlight type games anyway.

Well, we're exchanging facts here.

Fact is that anti piracy measures have become insane while actually achieving nothing, and its become a pain in the ass for legitimate users.

I've stopped buying newer PC games for that very reason. CD Key and disc-in-drive is the upper limit of annoyance I'm willing to endure.

Am finding the guidelines of what constitutes a discussion on piracy exceedingly confusing, these days.

I always though discussion was okay, promotion and linking was not okay.

The former can be useful, the latter two can have unfortunate consequences. Discretion is sometimes required to determine when something is 'promotion'.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Soo, can we also exchange actual facts or should we stick to subjective statements and just call them facts?

Are you insane ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra