Four fresh interviews for NWN2: SoZ

Humodour

A new interview, courtesy of my friend ironman in the IRC channel (#obsid on irc.quakenet.org):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=191562

Graphics look nice, too, IMHO.

Evans: Players can decide the morality of their party however they wish. Storm of Zehir offers significantly more choices than in our previous games, with lots of different rewards and reactions to the player's actions.

One of the ways we are doing this is with our new Party Conversation system, crafted by another NWN2 veteran, Anthony Davis.

Party Conversations offer different player responses and reactivity based on the numerous choices players make when creating and levelling-up their party members. This includes race, class, alignment, gender, deity, attributes and more.

[...]

Evans: The cap is the same as Mask of the Betrayer - level 30. The party begins at level 3, and we expect the average player to reach level 15 or higher throughout the Storm of Zehir campaign.

Others:

http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/neverwi...ofzehir_i.phtml

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1950#more-1950

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/neverwi.../interview.html

Players can design a full four-person party, each with their own individual attributes. The party can be customized further with a party name, motto and bio. We'll also be including several premade characters and parties to select from.

Motto eh?

"I always try to huff and puff while I'm fisting . I think it's the only way to really get that extra push in at the end."

:)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Party's name would naturally be OE :)

btw, only one of those was new, you silly Krez ;)

Great read

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Yes, why is that?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

My initial thoughts: "Wtf? If it's level 3 you may as well make it level 1 and gives us the fun of 2 more level ups."

I guess it has never made sense to start at level 1 in any RPG, but come on, that never stopped you before!

Then again there's that part of me that thinks it's a better idea to close the gap between start level and end level, more in line with a system like Bloodlines or Deus Ex, where it's more about skill than how many HP you have.

Actually, thinking about it, it makes perfect sense to start at level 3 seeing as those first two levels are so boring and underpowered. Of course, what should actually be fixed is the rule system, but obviously with DnD that isn't an option.

Besides, and correct me if I'm wrong, starting at level 3 was already what effectively happened in NWN2's OC where, generally, you reached level three before finishing the tutorial.

I guess the only question left, is whether everyone starts at level 3 or if it depends on the race's ECL.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

WITH ECL you started lower levels in OC too so...

All the other stuff sounds so encouraging that I'm cool about the level 3 thing. But you're right, the D&D rules are the issue, nothing else. All the 3E stuff like maximum hit points at level one and relaxing weapons restrictions for spellcasters still made playing a 4hp mage armed with a crossbow lame.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The NWN2 OC basically started at level 3. The whole harvest fair thing was loaded with ridiculously high XP rewards to get the player out of the D20 "every combat round is a 5% chance of game-over" stage.

Edited by Enoch

WOW I would rather start at level zero and actually create your character up to the point you begin to adventure, it can be done and done well. I love being a 4 hp mage. This sucks. Hopefully I will have a choice to hit the level up screen if I want to stay at 1st level and "earn" my way up to level 3

WOW I would rather start at level zero and actually create your character up to the point you begin to adventure, it can be done and done well. I love being a 4 hp mage. This sucks. Hopefully I will have a choice to hit the level up screen if I want to stay at 1st level and "earn" my way up to level 3

You like being so weak that it's possible to die after being attacked by a kitten?

In freaking Chult? Nevermind the kittens, it's freaking Jurassic Park there, except for the supernatural bipedal cat people tribes that assault you by leaping down from trees with their fangs bared.

If you ask me, I'd like a challenge that doesn't include house cats, but tabaxi instead. And that scenario can't be tackled with zero level rookies.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

A new interview, courtesy of my friend ironman in the IRC channel (#obsid on irc.quakenet.org):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=191562

Graphics look nice, too, IMHO.

Those are not SoZ screenshots BTW. There has been no screen shots released yet.

Level 3 is fine by me, and perhaps suggests that our party will have had *some* simple experience rather than being ultimate n00bs just starting out. But then again, exp gain is rather borked in a lot of RPGs. In fact, I really hope that the exp gain won't feel to fast, and the fact that we can make it into epic levels have me a bit worried. I only hope that is due a lot of explorable content, and not just the standard "omg xp booooost!!11" that we see in many cRPGs.

I suspect it will be a mix of both though.

The fact that they said on the Bioware forums that it will be more low-magic is good though, as I think the lack of uber magic items all over the place might really damper that feel of your character getting uber powerful in way to short a time.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

*Mutters about interviews not asking nifty questions like the proper implementation of Rest System and the Death System in SoZ*

Considering how much EVERYONE LOVED the Spirit Meter*, I don't think they will change the resting system that much. I'm guessing more of a "This is a safe place to rest" and "This is a dangerous place to rest - You might have an encounter". That's my guess. But yea I wish someone would ask that in a future interview.

*I personally loved the Spirit Meter, I thought it was brilliant.

Yeah, but aren't they really, really considering changing the death system? :lol:

I'm not even sure what this "proper impelentation of Rest System" means

I'm not even sure what this "proper impelentation of Rest System" means

Temple of Elemental Evil's rest system is what I think, correctly implemented.

The number of hit points a character recovers from a rest is based on the number of levels he is. For example, a level 3 character will recover 3HP per rest.

In addition, wounded characters resting in dirty locations or in jungles will have to perform fortitude DC saves. Failing to reach the DC required will result in being diseased or a penalty with character's stats as he or she becomes sick. This itself with additional monster ambush on a resting party puts restrictions on players to rely too heavily on resting and be more resourceful with the available items to accomplish objectives in the middle of a quest.

Finally, Inns in the game will finally have an important role to play as it is the only location where players can rest safely in the provided green zone.

Edited by Zoma

I could swear I used to rest untill all damage was healed in ToEE without severe precursions :lol:

and the fact that we can make it into epic levels have me a bit worried. I only hope that is due a lot of explorable content, and not just the standard "omg xp booooost!!11" that we see in many cRPGs.

Although the quote doesn't really say we can reach epic levels. It says the cap is level 30, not that we'll actually reach it. With an estimate that the average player will reach level 15 I would rather think that the hardcore people who explore everywhere will end the game around 20. But it's just speculation of course.

For instance, you never reached the level cap in Icewind Dale either (pretty far from it) unless you really, really tried.

I could swear I used to rest untill all damage was healed in ToEE without severe precursions :lol:

2 of my chars are plagued with some fever resulting in lowered dex and strength attributes just for resting in a dirty tower at the the moat location.

If the player constantly reload the save until you get a perfect rest, well, no one can stop anyone from abusing the system huh.

You like being so weak that it's possible to die after being attacked by a kitten?
Why, yes I do :brows: Gives me a thrill that I do not get playing at higher levels.

I lose a sense of "my" character when starting a game at a different level then first. There might be some awesome fan created mods for NWN2 (for instance) that start at a different level than 1, but I'll never know because I won't play them.

Old man voice;

I have been playing this goddamn game for the last 28 years, every game/campaign I have been in has started at level one, I'll be damned if I start a game/campaign at any but first level :lol:

End old man

:shifty:but's it's D&D, so I'll buy it anyway

2 of my chars are plagued with some fever resulting in lowered dex and strength attributes just for resting in a dirty tower at the the moat location.

That can happen anywhere, it's happened at the Inn in Hommlet for example

Edited by Kelverin

and the fact that we can make it into epic levels have me a bit worried.

We can't, it just means that the level cap of the entire game, including toolsets and mods et al, remains unchanged. For PR purposes he would never say that the cap has gone DOWN, anyway. This really has no practical consequences on the "~15" estimate for SoZ main campaign.

I hardly see level 3 as a problem, as others pointed out, NWN1 (and 2) OC levelled you up once or twice easy as pie to congratulate you for finding some furs in a rug and stuff. Level 3 still delivers, in CRPG terms, a very similar early-level experience, and I think it's just nitpicking.

Seems like they promise a lot, i.e. improvements on every core area of the NWN2 experience - we'll see. Party Conv. System will need to be seen to be believed.