What you did today

Gorth

Everyone had a better rig than me back then!

Bok's ghetto rig circa 2004:

Dell Dimension 2400

Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz

Geforce FX5200 (added by me after I found integrated intel no worky well with games)

256 MB RAM (lol XP took up 256, I was always relying on Virtual Memory for gaming)

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (added by me to get away from integrated audio)

Everyone had a better rig than me back then!

Bok's ghetto rig circa 2004:

Dell Dimension 2400

Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz

Geforce FX5200 (added by me after I found integrated intel no worky well with games)

256 MB RAM (lol XP took up 256, I was always relying on Virtual Memory for gaming)

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (added by me to get away from integrated audio)

Your CPU was still better than what I'm using now.

I've been popping allergy meds like candy for the past few days because of the smoky skies from all the wildfires both north and south of us.

And I'm hoping that Big Sur doesn't burn.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Today I am beginning to regret not having gone to the dentist for the past 3 or 4 years.

The first molar on the upper left side of my mouth is developing an ache-- I've got a touch of a cold, and the tooth has started hurting when I try to suck mucus out of my sinuses. To make matters worse, I have moved since the last time I've seen a dentist, so I don't have one locally, and I'm getting married in 2 weeks, so this had better either go away or get fixed before then.

woke up hungover

now at work

someone kill me please....

oh, and been trying to sort out drinks or something on monday night

why couldn't my 21st be on a weekend or something dammit!

Also hungover, after only four beers. I forgot what fevers take out of you.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Today I am beginning to regret not having gone to the dentist for the past 3 or 4 years.

The first molar on the upper left side of my mouth is developing an ache-- I've got a touch of a cold, and the tooth has started hurting when I try to suck mucus out of my sinuses. To make matters worse, I have moved since the last time I've seen a dentist, so I don't have one locally, and I'm getting married in 2 weeks, so this had better either go away or get fixed before then.

Hey, congrats! And err... for the rest of the post, my condolences.

Damn enoch. I mean I know your an attorney or something if I recall but seriously you have to get that prenup bro trust me. A kind young man like yourself could so easily be taken in by a seductive succubus of a woman and I just don't want to see you hurt, both emotionally and financially. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for me, your number 1 fan.

I believe you'll do the right thing. :)

Edit: Yeah mixing in the slug humor here but in all seriousness. Do it. If you two truly love each other than it's non issue since you'll never have to exercise it but you have to protect yourself somehow and you might as well do something you know.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Actually, she's been the one pushing the pre-nup idea. Our financial situations are pretty similar-- I have a little more savings and a little less debt than she does, but she has a higher-paying (although less secure) job. Also, we're in a common-law property state, so unless accounts are co-mingled during the marriage, both spouses keep sole ownership of their assets. I think her interest in a pre-nup is mostly emotional (i.e., "if you cheat on me, you ain't gettin' nuthin!"). I'm undecided, but there's no rush. As I understand it (although family law is by no means a specialty of mine), a "post-nup" done in the first few months of a marriage works, too.

The tooth feels mostly better (for now, anyway). I think I'll give it the weekend to see how it reacts before I call up a bunch of dentists to try to book a short-notice appointment. Marriage is a "qualifying life event" that lets me opt into a different health insurance plan at work, and I'll try to target one with less stingy dental coverage. My strategy with regard to my health insurance when I started working was to acknowledge that I'm a relatively healthy guy in my 20s who really hates to visit the doctor, which meant that the cheapest option was the best one. As I'm now pushing 30, getting fatter, and beginning to acquire a lovely set of long-term medical conditions (psoriasis in my ear, occasional acid reflux, and a food allergy or two), a more expensive but more generous insurance plan makes more sense. (Hooray for adverse selection in insurance markets!) Thus, I can probably save a fair amount of money if the tooth can wait a month.

quite frankly i never understood the pre-nup concept for those other than the rich. generally speaking, as i recall, you get caught cheating, you won't get nuttin anyway. but marriage laws have seemingly changed drastically over the years (isn't even alimony now sort of passe?), so maybe that's not always true anymore. good luck either way, enoch.

oh well. should my wife kick me to the curb, i'm doomed. we're going through a period of happiness right now, but that can change quite quickly. we're "volatile," to say the least.

btw, on topic, i had a cup or so of coffee today without problem. this is a big deal since i gave it up 2 months ago due to the anxiety thing. zoloft is working well enough now that it doesn't cause any issues to get a little caffeine buzz going. i forgot how much i love coffee (and it was the good stuff, too). yay!

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Marriage is a "qualifying life event" that lets me opt into a different health insurance plan at work, and I'll try to target one with less stingy dental coverage. My strategy with regard to my health insurance when I started working was to acknowledge that I'm a relatively healthy guy in my 20s who really hates to visit the doctor, which meant that the cheapest option was the best one. As I'm now pushing 30, getting fatter, and beginning to acquire a lovely set of long-term medical conditions (psoriasis in my ear, occasional acid reflux, and a food allergy or two), a more expensive but more generous insurance plan makes more sense. (Hooray for adverse selection in insurance markets!) Thus, I can probably save a fair amount of money if the tooth can wait a month.

yup. birthing a squirt qualifies, too. i have one of those high deductible insurance plans, $5000 per person, but it's real cheap ($130/mo for my son and i). my company does not provide insurance but does a lump reimbursement at the end of the year. we'll just say i got burned this year and now the insurance is paying for everything (yes, all $10k for the two of us has been spent).

i've been lucky on the tooth front. i've never had a cavity and i'll be 40 in 3 weeks. no dental for me (and it doesn't make sense for a 5-year old anyway).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Utterly depressed, sitting here knowing my mates are off in the boondocks on exercise. I can't believe I have to repeat the fething course. I have to keep reminding myself it was just bad luck, and that usually my luck's pretty good.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ok, so I now have a job... first job.

Except it was really creepy. Usually I get an interview and get news later, but now the guy (who seemed really really tired) just asked a few questions about my name, date of birth and regular stuff. Then he just gave me the job.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Had a fantastic party in my apartment tonite. Went out to a popular club, waited in line for 40 minutes and then gave up as the moronic guards let everyone blonde and female enough in the VIP queue in and let everyone else wait for ridiculous amounts of time. Sometimes I hate the Swedish club admittance system..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I am now an Election Official for the County of Albemarle - sure it's not much of a job but at least I'm sort of helping with the democratic process.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Deadly Nightshade: Nice >_<

Almighty: Yeah, that happens every now and then, for example if there's no competition or your resume was very good in combination with a good impression. What's the job anyway?

I wanted to go to work but I stayed at the library for too long doing research on theoretical material as base for a paper, and today it wouldn't have made sense to go to work when no one else is there. So I bought a lot of stuff for dinner (Nasi Goreng, yummy!) and played an NWN2 module for hours (Dark Waters, the second part really is good, while the first was quite innovative in terms of setting and amount of gimmicks but too slow).

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Went out to a popular club, waited in line for 40 minutes and then gave up as the moronic guards let everyone blonde and female enough in the VIP queue in and let everyone else wait for ridiculous amounts of time. Sometimes I hate the Swedish club admittance system..

Um, that's kind of universal, Mkreku.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Went out to a popular club, waited in line for 40 minutes and then gave up as the moronic guards let everyone blonde and female enough in the VIP queue in and let everyone else wait for ridiculous amounts of time. Sometimes I hate the Swedish club admittance system..

Um, that's kind of universal, Mkreku.

It's certainly true in the UK. I don't know why people put up with it. I simply refuse to go clubbing on the weekend. The only time periods I've been up for it more regularly is when I've known bouncers.

-Elwood Blues

Disclaimer: Boring tl;dr kind of stuff. Wouldn't recommend reading further.

So I decided I'd take a crack at reading up on accounting since I found this neat accounting book my mom got when she started working in the banking system so very long ago. It was pretty cool but once I got past the first couple pages of just the plain old conceptual what does accounting mean and what not and got down to the nitty gritty I noticed some major flaws. The accounting equation (Assets = Liabilities + SHE), the essential basic foundation of accounting, so simple and so pure and so beautiful, was different. See back then (I hadn't realized how old this book was yet) they didn't even have Shareholder's equity but instead Capital. Now in accounting and other business disciplines, name variances come almost literally a dime a dozen, some terms will seriously have 3-4 other names that describe the exact same thing but this was different. There was something ominous afoot, so I read on. Turns out capital was some sort of sick perversion of starting capital and various expense accounts (aka what liabilities is now). Liabilities was basically just accounts payable and that's it. It was like they got their jelly mixed with their peanut butter and then said f it, it's cool we'll just have capital be some kind of misnomer to make the lemmings not understand anything so we have job protection. Any who, once I saw that my interest in the book had lost all credibility since it was pretty much useless and then I checked the date. Apparently accounting has come a long way in the last 2 decades so this means I need to find something more up to date so I don't go brain dead over the summer. Surprisingly accounting isn't all that boring but I really need to step my game up and actually understand it instead of just passing classes so I can get a good internship and eventually make 6 figures.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Almighty: Yeah, that happens every now and then, for example if there's no competition or your resume was very good in combination with a good impression. What's the job anyway?

It's at a local small market. The job's called "Production", in other words I take the food out of the crate and put it into packages so they can be bought.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm curious that an acccountant would be so iterested in 'pure' accounting. It's like watching a physicist, but not. I think you should develop quantum accounting. It may not even work, but it WILL be a lot better to say at parties.

Disclaimer: Boring tl;dr kind of stuff. Wouldn't recommend reading further.

So I decided I'd take a crack at reading up on accounting since I found this neat accounting book my mom got when she started working in the banking system so very long ago. It was pretty cool but once I got past the first couple pages of just the plain old conceptual what does accounting mean and what not and got down to the nitty gritty I noticed some major flaws. The accounting equation (Assets = Liabilities + SHE), the essential basic foundation of accounting, so simple and so pure and so beautiful, was different. See back then (I hadn't realized how old this book was yet) they didn't even have Shareholder's equity but instead Capital. Now in accounting and other business disciplines, name variances come almost literally a dime a dozen, some terms will seriously have 3-4 other names that describe the exact same thing but this was different. There was something ominous afoot, so I read on. Turns out capital was some sort of sick perversion of starting capital and various expense accounts (aka what liabilities is now). Liabilities was basically just accounts payable and that's it. It was like they got their jelly mixed with their peanut butter and then said f it, it's cool we'll just have capital be some kind of misnomer to make the lemmings not understand anything so we have job protection. Any who, once I saw that my interest in the book had lost all credibility since it was pretty much useless and then I checked the date. Apparently accounting has come a long way in the last 2 decades so this means I need to find something more up to date so I don't go brain dead over the summer. Surprisingly accounting isn't all that boring but I really need to step my game up and actually understand it instead of just passing classes so I can get a good internship and eventually make 6 figures.

-Elwood Blues

Quantum accounting sounds awesome but I'm not even sure I can even conceptualize what that would entail. Also, I'm not an accountant yet. Far from it. You probably have more practical and working knowledge of it than I do. I've only taken 2 accounting classes, one of which the only thing I learned was what unit contribution margin is.

I think I've developed a degenerative cognitive condition. I've gotten progressively dumber in the last few years. :'(

I spent most of the last two weeks in Tennessee working. There is so much to learn for the new job. Closing on the new place is Friday and construction starts the following week if all goes well. The deal on my place in WPB fell apart so it's back on the market. The dogs were really happy to see me when I got home.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Quantum accounting sounds awesome but I'm not even sure I can even conceptualize what that would entail. Also, I'm not an accountant yet. Far from it. You probably have more practical and working knowledge of it than I do. I've only taken 2 accounting classes, one of which the only thing I learned was what unit contribution margin is.

I think I've developed a degenerative cognitive condition. I've gotten progressively dumber in the last few years. :'(

People sometimes use strange words at work, like "Balance Sheet" and "P&L". I never quite figured out what they are, but the people who run those companies seems to be very excited about them :wacko:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein