Arcania: A Gothic Tale

Hope there's going to be a demo.

They said there should be a demo but didn't know when it would come out a while ago, and I think they mentioned that it would probably come out around E3.

It's been a while since E3 so hearing a little bit more about it would be nice, especially since we're getting close to release.

There's a lot of controversy over on the official forums about the look of the new nameless hero. Some say he's too emo, other think he's too much like an American Action Hero
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Does one need to have played the previous three installments to play this? Or can a newcomer just wade right in, and not be confused about the world/story?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Does one need to have played the previous three installments to play this? Or can a newcomer just wade right in, and not be confused about the world/story?

From what I understand there are A LOT of references to the first three so one that has played them will enjoy the game a lot more BUT being a new unexplored part of the world and being with a new main character, it should be a good starting point for newcomers.

Just take into account that there will be a difference in gameplay between this and the originals (not as big as between Fallout 2 and 3, but still a good difference) if you then want to go back and play them.

Haven't played any of the Gothics (meant to try one, never got around to it...) but from my pov, just from the screenie, that chr. model is pretty cute/handsome & sympathetic. :) The squint makes me think he needs some sunglasses tho, and yeah, his hair is a little too Ringo-mop-top or something. The mustache part of his facial hair looks rather sponge-painted on, too.

In the original Gothic you got to play a genuinely German looking dude with a ponytail hairdo and as much bad taste as only German people know how to bring. It was hilarious. His little ponytail swaying in the wind as you'd jog in your tight lederhosen through the Valley of Mines.. I'm going to miss that. We need more bad German taste in games! Down with the perfect hero ideals!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I look forward to games localized to south east london

Then again, every Gothic fan... has learned to pay no mind to constant deaths by wildlife, the character getting robbed and mugged every other hour, and usually both starting and ending a dirty mine pool with nothing on you except a sharp stick

There you go, newc, seek and ye shall find.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hero's definitely been Americanised, I don't care too much though.

This is definitely on my list, though I'll probably wait for the mkreku seal of approval.

From what I understand there are A LOT of references to the first three so one that has played them will enjoy the game a lot more BUT being a new unexplored part of the world and being with a new main character, it should be a good starting point for newcomers.

Just take into account that there will be a difference in gameplay between this and the originals (not as big as between Fallout 2 and 3, but still a good difference) if you then want to go back and play them.

My gaming nowadays is exclusively console, which is why I'd try this game out since I see it'll have a 360 release version. Aren't the previous three PC exclusive? So I don't think I'd be trying them out either way, unless they'd run on my current POS PC (I can barely run NWN2 on here).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In the original Gothic you got to play a genuinely German looking dude with a ponytail hairdo and as much bad taste as only German people know how to bring. It was hilarious. His little ponytail swaying in the wind as you'd jog in your tight lederhosen through the Valley of Mines.. I'm going to miss that. We need more bad German taste in games! Down with the perfect hero ideals!

:lol: Sounds hilarious!

I think the 1st & 2nd one is on GoG too...I'll have to try when I'm done w/Two Worlds.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My gaming nowadays is exclusively console, which is why I'd try this game out since I see it'll have a 360 release version. Aren't the previous three PC exclusive? So I don't think I'd be trying them out either way, unless they'd run on my current POS PC (I can barely run NWN2 on here).

Yeah, the first 3 are PC exclusives. Still, going by your description the first 2 should run on your PC. 3 is the least beloved anyway (buggy and with some controversial changes to the gameplay). The expansion to Gothic 3 doesn't exist. 8)

I think the 1st & 2nd one is on GoG too...I'll have to try when I'm done w/Two Worlds.

Take into account : you're going to play AN ****. Let me repeat : THE NAMELESS ONE IS AN ****.

He's a ****. I know the forum filter will censor it all, but it still gives you the idea.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Take into account : you're going to play AN ****. Let me repeat : THE NAMELESS ONE IS AN ****.

He's a ****. I know the forum filter will censor it all, but it still gives you the idea.

No actually, I don't have any idea what you're trying to say.

He's a jerk?

No actually, I don't have any idea what you're trying to say.

He's a jerk?

The Nameless One : *mocking tone* Oh no, I'm not a jerk, how can you possibly think about something like that? Now what do you want? For me to fetch you a couple of golden chalices?

Playing a console game from a German developer that never made a Xbox/PS game before, is, to say at least, a very adventurous undertaking.

In other words, I believe that the console versions of Arcania will suck.