BREAKING NEWS: CRYSIS DEVS BAIL OUT! CONSOLES ARE THE FUTURE!

Llyranor

It won't matter in the future. Piracy is possible on consoles, too, but for the moment, it's a bit more difficult than on a PC. As tech improves, it's just going to get easier to get those games for free, too. The next gaming system, at least from MS, will probably near identical to a PC in many aspects. You'll just fetch a torrent, make a disk, pop it in, and play. Hell, it'll be easier due to no installation!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

As tech improves, it's just going to get easier to get those games for free, too. The next gaming system, at least from MS, will probably near identical to a PC in many aspects. You'll just fetch a torrent, make a disk, pop it in, and play. Hell, it'll be easier due to no installation!

Do you really think that Sony/MS/Nintendo are really going to make future consoles that are easier to pirate games for? That makes no sense. MS made piracy less desirable on the 360 what with the banning from Xbox live.

In Portugal, it seems to me like piracy is about as prevalent in console gaming as it is in PC gaming among the "adult" gamer crowd. Generally it's only the kids with clueless parents who actually buy console games. Oh, and rich people with a conscience buy them too.

My point being that what makes piracy worse on PCs is not that it's easier, but rather that the average PC gamer is generally more knowledgeable about these things than the average console gamer.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Let's be serious for a minute: would Crytek benefit for a steam-like system to prevent piracy? Surely everyone that are hardcore enough to want to play their graphics heavy games have internet access and enough CPU-cycles to spare for a variant of a steam-system to prevent piracy. Am I right or am I wrong here?

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The thing about "they wouldn't have bought it anyway" is that it's just as valid an argument as "every pirated copy is a lost sale", because there is no way to prove it either way. I suspect the truth is in the middle.

It doesn't actually matter exactly how many legal copies might have sold without the pirate version, if companies like Crytek look at all the pirated copies out there and it makes them no longer want to develop PC exclusives, or worse, abandon PC altogether, then clearly piracy does have an effect on PC gaming.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Let's be serious for a minute: would Crytek benefit for a steam-like system to prevent piracy? Surely everyone that are hardcore enough to want to play their graphics heavy games have internet access and enough CPU-cycles to spare for a variant of a steam-system to prevent piracy. Am I right or am I wrong here?
It depends, would the buyer receive an actual CD/DVD in their possession, can you play the game offline?

As tech improves, it's just going to get easier to get those games for free, too. The next gaming system, at least from MS, will probably near identical to a PC in many aspects. You'll just fetch a torrent, make a disk, pop it in, and play. Hell, it'll be easier due to no installation!

Do you really think that Sony/MS/Nintendo are really going to make future consoles that are easier to pirate games for? That makes no sense. MS made piracy less desirable on the 360 what with the banning from Xbox live.

I didn't say it would be intentional.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I didn't say it would be intentional.

So they would acidentally make a system that's easier for piracy? That makes even less sense.

It doesn't actually matter exactly how many legal copies might have sold without the pirate version, if companies like Crytek look at all the pirated copies out there and it makes them no longer want to develop PC exclusives, or worse, abandon PC altogether, then clearly piracy does have an effect on PC gaming.
Lol no.

It's called an excuse. They can make up any number of those to justify their game not living up to their sales expectations, but that doesn't make them true.

It's called an excuse. They can make up any number of those to justify their game not living up to their sales expectations, but that doesn't make them true.

Unless you can prove that piracy didn't effect the games sales, then what you're saying is just as much an excuse as what they are saying. People who choose to copy games rather than buying make up all sorts of excuses, but that doesn't make them true. Pirates excuse their actions by claiming it's not a lost sale because they wouldn't have bought the game anyway, developers excuse their actions by claiming piracy is destroying the industry. As long as pirates excuse their actions then so can the developers.

Unless you can prove that piracy didn't effect the games sales, then what you're saying is just as much an excuse as what they are saying.
Funny that you would ask for proof, when you provided none yourself.

People who choose to copy games rather than buying make up all sorts of excuses, but that doesn't make them true. Pirates excuse their actions by claiming it's not a lost sale because they wouldn't have bought the game anyway, developers excuse their actions by claiming piracy is destroying the industry. As long as pirates excuse their actions then so can the developers.
Yep. Not gonna argue with that. None of that changes the fact that it's an excuse, though. :shifty:

Unless you can prove that piracy didn't effect the games sales, then what you're saying is just as much an excuse as what they are saying.
Funny that you would ask for proof, when you provided none yourself.

The point of my original post was that neither side can prove their claims. "The thing about "they wouldn't have bought it anyway" is that it's just as valid an argument as "every pirated copy is a lost sale", because there is no way to prove it either way. I suspect the truth is in the middle."

I find it interesting that Crysis leads the piracy charts. It seem like certain type of games suffer much more from piracy then others. I read a good blog entry few weeks ago about this subject. It's by Brad Wardell, founder of Stardock. Piracy & PC Gaming

When you make a game for a target market, you have to look at how many people will actually buy your game combined with how much it will cost to make a game for that target market. What good is a large number of users if they're not going to buy your game? And what good is a market where the minimal commitment to make a game for it is $10 million if the target audience isn't likely to pay for the game?

If the target demographic for your game is full of pirates who won't buy your game, then why support them? That's one of the things I have a hard time understanding. It's irrelevant how many people will play your game (if you're in the business of selling games that is). It's only relevant how many people are likely to buy your game.

Computer game piracy has been around for while now and for some reason many development houses haven't done their homework on this area. Or maybe they have and know the risks and still choose to make a certain type of game that may or may not make profit.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

One thing that is still thriving on the PC, underground at is always has, is hardcore war games.

The actual audience is quite low, but so are the costs to produce and and level of piracy due to them not being 'mainstream'.

Perfect example of a niche in the gaming industry finding its own little cubbyhole and just getting on with it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It depends, would the buyer receive an actual CD/DVD in their possession, can you play the game offline?

There are only very few games out there right now that are downloadable as the only option and as such I doubt any big developer would be able to get rich by making a decision to try and screw over the brick and mortar shops (or whatever the purpose with only download would be). I would imagine that playing offline wouldn't be a problem so long as there is somekind of initial check and possibly a check after so and so much time offline.

tl;dr version: just look at steam.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I dont' get why people moan about not having a CD/DVD of their game.

'I want somthing physical!'

'Then buy a brick and beat yourself around the face with it while you refuse to enjoy a good game cheaper and on demand'

I guess the waiting for it to download is an issue, but even HL2 downloads in about the time it would take me to walk to the store and back then have lunch.

Hadescopy.jpg

I dont' get why people moan about not having a CD/DVD of their game.

'I want somthing physical!'

'Then buy a brick and beat yourself around the face with it while you refuse to enjoy a good game cheaper and on demand'

I guess the waiting for it to download is an issue, but even HL2 downloads in about the time it would take me to walk to the store and back then have lunch.

For me it's more of a "your ISP is having trouble today? Sorry, no gaming for you then" issue. And the "cheaper" part, I'm not too convinced either, looking at the prices on Steam.

You know, I sometimes miss the days when a broadband connection wasn't needed to go take a crap.

The 'have to be online to play HL2' thing was pretty freaking dumb, and you're right, HL2 was priced as a 'normal' game, but on the flip side I had the satisfaction of knowing that the profits were going to the people who actually made it rather than the people who printed the crappy box art.

My issue is more with people who refuse to use DD simply on principle. Like those who'd refuse to play a console game 'on principle' or those who'd refuse to eat japanese food 'on principle'.

Not that it's really an issue, i'm just a bitter old fart.

Hadescopy.jpg

I recently got singed (as opposed to burned) by digital distribution. I lost Aquaria, Thief 3, and Neverwinter Nights 2 when I accidentally formatted the wrong drive. Even sent the drive to my uncle for data recover and he simply can't find the data (I also lost the NWN2 module I was working on). When my new computer gets built, I'll have to check around to find out if I can maybe salvage those. I can't recall what limits D2D has on redownloading and need to see if bit-blot will send me a new download link.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I recently got singed (as opposed to burned) by digital distribution. I lost Aquaria, Thief 3, and Neverwinter Nights 2 when I accidentally formatted the wrong drive. Even sent the drive to my uncle for data recover and he simply can't find the data (I also lost the NWN2 module I was working on). When my new computer gets built, I'll have to check around to find out if I can maybe salvage those.
There you go.

Don't you get a receipt or anything to prove that it is your game.

Edited by Kelverin

I've still got my e-mail receipt for Aquaria. Neverwinter Nights 2 and Thief 3, no. But they might still have it registered to an account. And hopefully still have my CD-key on file.

One thing I really like about Steam is not having limits. Stardock also doesn't do limits. Nor do Telltale. I know Direct 2 Drive has (or had), at least, a limit to how many times you can download. EA Link reportedly has limits for how long you have access to your download.

So, my Steam digital downloads are safe. As are my Sam & Max episodes.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."