Bioware - Are Their Games Actually That Good?

Humodour

I remember a funny moment when wolf blew someones head off and made some comment that was earily appropiate. They're still not good NPCs as most of them have little to say that will matter and those that do will still be silent for most of the game, essentially the same problem as fallout has.

The only reason why theyr felt good was that it was more of a RTT than a RPG and as such it was a bonus, you have to know the individual relations and plan your teams with metagame knowledge (or just be lucky) to really have anywhere near as much as even Fallout 2.

Edit: Also Fidel's maniacal laughter while psychoing was awesome.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

BG1 npcs are nothing more than pack mules and cannon fodder. Their interaction is non-existant probably because the developers never really thought about expanding them. BG2 they corrected this. BG2 had great romances as well. Bioware took a step backwards when they did the Kotor games. I would hardly call those romances.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I recall that Khalid and Jaheira would team off against Xzar and Monteron. Bio did do that part right by not having members get along. To bad they didn't think about better interactions with their environment and the main character.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

BG1 NPCs? They had almost no personality whatsoever.
I thought Xzar had a great personality given the little information and voice dialog, however I guess since no one else talks about him I could be wrong. :)

Xzar was great, but I rarely took him 'cause he was an evil bastard.

Best thing about BG1 was the voice-acting, especially the 'rare' dialogues when you clicked NPCs about 10 times. Xzar's were hilarious.

Dark Raven: Please never again call BG2 romances 'great'. *cringes*

And Branwen had dialogue with (IIRC) Ajantis and that evil dwarf.

Which reminds me, I should finish that game someday. With Tutu preferably. I've never played past Cloakwood, because the xvart-slaying bored me to death before that.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I thought Branwen was cool, I can sympathize with Kivan.

Hell, this and the BG thread has almost rekindled my love for the series. Time for a rerun!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Krez, your Blade cheese guide is so very munchkin. So awesomely munchkin.

kirottu said:

Did you not play the Viconia one? That was incredible. Every single time it would activate it goes through a cycle of Viconia seeming like she's seeking sympathy with some tale of woe and end with her telling you to **** off regardless of the right or wrong response. It's the only time that game developers have ever been brave enough to implement a psycho-*****.

It was hilarious.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Did you not play the Viconia one? That was incredible. Every single time it would activate it goes through a cycle of Viconia seeming like she's seeking sympathy with some tale of woe and end with her telling you to **** off regardless of the right or wrong response. It's the only time that game developers have ever been brave enough to implement a psycho-*****.

It was hilarious.

Haha, that's so true!

And the even funnier thing? She was the best of the romances. Awesome.

Yeah, I have to agree that Viconia was the best of the BG2 romances, but my copy of BG2 was the complete one with the Throne of Bhaal expansion and for whatever reason I could never get the Jaheira romance to work past a certain point.

In the end the romances where kind of just something else to do while you're playing an extremely long game. They made the game a bit harder too since you couldn't allow your interest to die or get turned to stone without resetting the AI.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Haha, that's so true!

Can you name a better romance in any game? You don't have to rush to the answer. Take your time. I'll be here.

And when you finally realize you can't think of a better one because it doesn't exist, do not despair. Just because you're a failure doesn't mean we don't love you.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

As for as romances go I'd just like to say on thing:

The Sims.

Carry on.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

As for as romances go I'd just like to say on thing:

The Sims.

Carry on.

Yeah, great dialogue in those games.

Carry on.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's okay if you secretly love The Sims, mkreku.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Just because you didn't understand the dialogue doesn't mean it wasn't great.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Haha, that's so true!

Can you name a better romance in any game? You don't have to rush to the answer. Take your time. I'll be here.

And when you finally realize you can't think of a better one because it doesn't exist, do not despair. Just because you're a failure doesn't mean we don't love you.

Easy: Annah, FFG in Planescape: Torment.

Dunno why you're personally attacking me, there, though. I wasn't being sarcastic. Moreover, remember that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence; even if BG2 romances were the best game romances, that would in no way imply they were good.

Does Shadow of the Colossus' weird story count as romance?

Because it was pretty damn good, ignoring the lack of information on the plot (AKA Lost syndrome)

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"