What you did today

Walsingham

i already have a fairly lucrative job (i've been working for almost 15 years already, and i had an MS before starting this degree). i was hired a year ago under the assumption that i would complete my degree sooner than later. and no, i'm not a workaholic. in fact, i'm one of those rare folks that has the ultimate geek job that completely forgets about what it is he does during the day upon returning home. i know some folks that leave the office and continue to work on problems all night. they read papers and books and never put it down. not me.

i'll still do some minor research with my advisor - we have at least one paper planned and two of my committee members brought up some things that makes me think there's another to collaborate on in the near future as well - but i'm not an engineer when i'm at home. we'll camp nearly every weekend we can this summer, and the fall brings more skiing (which i could not do this year). my family suffered while i was worling on my school stuff, but that is over now minus some red-tape (i just hit "send" on the final copy to my advisor less than 5 minutes ago).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Which is our sluggy friends way of saying "congratulations" :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

yeah, i got that... :lol:

thanks everyone, btw. it has been a very long and hard road, and i would not wish the last year on anyone, even if i didn't like 'em. it is no wonder i'm taking xanax daily along with double doses of prilosec hoping it's an ulcer and not something more serious.

taks

Re: Why my hubby uses so many servers

I asked him. What little bit I understood of his answer went something like this: multiple different operating systems that need to be able to talk to each other simultaneously - I guess if you install multiple OS on one computer, while running one OS the others are 'off' so they can't talk to each other or something? He sometimes uses them for testing out/troubleshooting network problems & programs for his work (he'll bring home servers from work to hook into it all, too). Other than that, I'm still clueless. :devil:

And ... yesterday I built a barn-shaped cat-nap-hidey-house out of cardboard boxes - which is much better & more elaborate than the first cardboard box 'house' I made. Kitty loves it. A pox on all those high-priced cloth and foam or wood and carpet things at pet-stores.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Re: Why my hubby uses so many servers

I asked him. What little bit I understood of his answer went something like this: multiple different operating systems that need to be able to talk to each other simultaneously

VMWare rocks, btw :thumbsup:

I worked 6.5 hours at my regular job, came home to work 2 more hours on a side project, then another 2 hours for university. Now I have to eat fast so I get to bed early enough to get up early tomorrow. What a wasted day.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Another hungover day, dedicated to doing absolutely nothing. I'm just about starting to feel human after months of pressure. Here's hoping I can hang onto the feeling.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Read Auden, Orwell, Thiongo, Eliot, Joyce and Yeats.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I have an accounting exam that is worth 25% of my grade that I'm going to do either tonight or tomorrow just to get it out of the way. Then I have an exam in communications which should be quite simple then I'm done with school and will have 3 months of absolutely nothing to do. Sigh.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Let me see... I got up, read, played games, ate, read, played more games, went to a dance lesson, came home, ate, and played more games... :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Got home from work, logged on tot he internet, logged off, slept, went to Iron Man, came home, slept, logged on the Internet, soon to log off, then go back to sleep.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Just finishing up an essay on Wong Kar-Wai. I've another essay due Thursday, then I'm done with uni. **** do I do now?

Wong Kar Wai is the man! Fallen Angels is one of my favourite films, and In the Mood for Love is easily one of the smartest films ever.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

RAMEN! :ermm:

But seriously. I'm sure you can buy some bread, peanut butter, and jelly with that much money. Maybe able to afford some rice and a few pieces of chicken as well. :lol:

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Today I figured out how to resolve a recieve diversity RSSI imbalance that was affecting the stats of hundreds of cell sites. And it won't cost a dime to fix.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

When I got my wisdom teeth taken out I woke up wearing different pants, is that normal? :'(

But don't worry its not bad as long as you get put to sleep. I remember when I went the insurance didn't cover for the anesthesia for this girl and she was all hysterical and stuff. That would suck being awake while they are drilling into your face and stuff. The part I hated the most was taking the pills becuase they made me feel like crap for an entire week and all I did was sleep like 13 hours a day and the other 11 I just laid in bed or sat at the computer.

I went in for a consultation with an oral surgeon to talk about my wisdom teeth. Apparently he had a cancellation next week so I'm slotted in to get my teeth ripped out next wednesday.

hopefully they'll give you better drugs than i got: darvocet. man that stuff bugged the heck out of me. i only took it the day of my surgery and just suffered with tylenol the next day. by the next night the only time i felt any pain was when i puffed on a cigarette. it felt like my stitches wanted to pull out. fortunately, too, the holes that were left over filled in quickly. yes, there will still be divots of a sort even though they stitch the holes up. some people get them large enough they have to constantly pick food out for a few months. i did not have that issue.

taks

oh, btw, i submitted the final copy of my dissertation to the school library today. two unbound copies went to the library, and each of my five committee members gets a bound copy (plus one for myself). counting the $140 in fees (most of it was for proquest/UMI publishing to set up a copyright), that set me back $750. printing alone was nearly $500. color copies on high-quality laser jet (acid-free) paper was the kicker. oof.

i've already got my "mastercard moment" dealy thought out for after i graduate.

taks

When I got my wisdom teeth taken out I woke up wearing different pants, is that normal? :'(

But don't worry its not bad as long as you get put to sleep. I remember when I went the insurance didn't cover for the anesthesia for this girl and she was all hysterical and stuff. That would suck being awake while they are drilling into your face and stuff. The part I hated the most was taking the pills becuase they made me feel like crap for an entire week and all I did was sleep like 13 hours a day and the other 11 I just laid in bed or sat at the computer.

I hate the idea of worrying about what my insurance will spring for. Although you just made me realise that one of my current clients has comped me onto their health insurance, and I can try to get my teeth done! Awesome if it works out....

-Elwood Blues