PC or Console?

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer a PC or a Console for you gaming?

• PC
    • Console
    • Both
    • Other
    • I don't game

Yeah, but you can also go find a working NES.

At a reasonably price for a trustworthy seller? I just checked ebay for your claim and I've seen everything from what looks to be ripoff machines that look nothing like an NES to $300 for a console. Finding old hardware that works is harder than being able to make old software work with new hardware.

Also, there are usually a bunch of classic games released on the new consoles for relatively cheap. Xbox live, for example, has a ton of old school games available, and most are no more than a few bucks for the full version.
What they heck does that have to do with anything? Buying a select few old games equates in some weird way to preserving all your already owned old games? It's nice that they have some, but that doesn't really factor into it, unless your library consists of only those. It's too limited.

I'm not trying to sound like a console fanboi, obviously the PC has more capabilities when it comes to modding and emulators, but both consoles and PC's have issues with older technology.
The PC has compatability issues you can resolve. Consoles have not being able to play issues you can't even touch.

There's nothing you can say that downplays the fact that PC games are more reliable to preserve than console games. In fact, console games are easier to preserve with a PC than with a newer console.

I have a working copy of Commander bleeping Keen on my XP box. A game older than some of our forum posters.

Which one? I have the first and third, I think that's correct, in a backup CD at the moment... :)

All of them except the last one. There an id super pack on Steam I had to snatch up. Source ports of Wolfenstein 3D and Quake are fun.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Source ports of Wolfenstein 3D and Quake are fun.

Wait what, how does that work? Are they capable of using features from source or is it just the old games capable of running (better, since I think they are capable of running without a port to source) on newer hardware?

Edit: Oh and I voted PC, because PC while having a higher price tag also has games that are more fun and actually designed for the platform.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Source ports don't refer to VALVe's Source engine, but rather new engines made by hobbyists using id's released source code. You're running these games with new engines based off the old engins that have more features and better compatability. Doom and Wolfenstein with mouselook is great. The game's not designed that way, so you just breeze right through it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_port

Edited by Tale

After the Sega Genesis became obsolete, I used to be pc only. Even when I had an xbox (to play KoTOR 2 and Jade Empire) I was pretty much gung ho with the pc. Now that I have a 360, I've started to be more and more pragmatic. Sometimes it's nice to just play a game with your feet up and relaxed on your couch. I voted both.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Oh that kind of source, my technical ignorance is showing. :) Did they also improve resolution and other graphics stuff that would make the game more accesible to people who care about such?

Also about breezing right through it, are the changes made mostly features that makes the games smoother and easier to play for a modern gamer, and as such irrelevant because I already have the non-source ported games?

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Oh that kind of source, my technical ignorance is showing. :) Did they also improve resolution and other graphics stuff that would make the game more accesible to people who care about such?

Also about breezing right through it, are the changes made mostly features that makes the games smoother and easier to play for a modern gamer, and as such irrelevant because I already have the non-source ported games?

Resolution with regards to what you're speaking is not improved. That's limited by the actual content. The features vary, really. It all depends on what source port you're using. Some keep it basic to just let a game be playable on a new OS. Others implement new controls, particle effects, multiplayer.

My level of interest in most console games is low enough that the consoles themselves don't warrant a purchase right away. I usually buy consoles when the next generation of said consoles start to appear. Then I can get everything for cheap and I know exactly what games I will buy.

I bought a used X-box to play Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies. Almost got Jade Empire, but I knew a PC version would come out sooner or later.

I got a PS2 to play Final Fantasy, which I discovered I didn't much like, Metal Gear Solid 2,3 ,Soul Calibur and God of War. Of course I discovered a few other gems along the way like the Burnout Series.

If I like a game, I will play it sooner or later no matter what hardware it runs on.

Gears of War 30 - great

Gears of War PC - awesome

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Awesome > great > pretty decent > Brute Force > PoS

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Gears of War 30 - great

Gears of War PC - awesome

Gears of War 360 = Great

Gears of War PC = "Where is the stupid patch so that the game doesn't crash on load?"

Similar to Tale, my time it pretty evenly split between PC and handhelds, with PC taking priority. I don't currently own a console, except for the Wii that I borrowed, but that doesn't count.

Otherwise I'm in the "each is good for different genres" crowd. There are some things that just work better with a keyboard and some that are better with a mouse.

I like both, though probably more on the computer. When I was little and in the early-mid 90's, consoles were the way to go, and I still play my Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 (loved my Gameboy, but that broke, and the newer versions and games don't interest me). Of course, since Age of Empires and Baldur's Gate, the computer has been the number one thing.

I'll probably pick up a Wii when I have the monies, because there are some Wii and Gamecube games I want to play.

I'm also worried about my old consoles dying on me, and the lack of backwards compatibility on newer computers plus Vista. I take good care of all my discs and know how to change the battery on the cartridges for those Super Nintendo/Nintendo 64 games, and my current computer can play all the games in my collection, so the only thing I'm unsure of is how to replace those olds consoles if/when they die. :(

Here's hoping to Wii Virtual Console...

Personally, I only game on the PC and do not own any consoles nor do I have any plans whatsoever to buy any of them.

If there's too option you can't actually prefer each one of them.

The option is there for those who prefer both equally: i.e. those who have no preference between the two.

Also, option "I don't game" on gaming forums is somewhat... interesting :(

It is there for completness sake! :(

Any "gamer" who does not own at least a Gameboy Advance or Nintendo DS isn't a real gamer. They're just a nerd. -.-

PSP ownership can be substituted on a case by case situation depending on age, use, and game library.