Zero Punctuation - Yahtzee reviews

Pop

STALKER: Clear Sky is a great game, they took everything that was awkward with the first game(

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Oh, that got posted? What I meant to say that Clear sky is a real improvement from the original STALKER, and everyone should try it. Its a bit quirky and has some unusual design ideas, but it has that special unexplainable mojo which just sucks you in.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Oh, that got posted? What I meant to say that Clear sky is a real improvement from the original STALKER, and everyone should try it. Its a bit quirky and has some unusual design ideas, but it has that special unexplainable mojo which just sucks you in.

For once I agree with Kaftan. Although I also immensely enjoyed the original STALKER.

Just a warning: after Red Forest the game turns into a weaker clone of Half-Life 2 so do all your free-roaming before moving on from there.

One thing I don't get though.. Everyone claims that enemies see you as easily in darkness as in light. But I've been able to sneak up on enemies in total darkness (meaning flashlight OFF) and knife them. Just install nightvision goggles and creep around silently. Try that in daylight..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Snobby has nothing to do with it. Expecting something you spend your money on to actually work seems a pretty reason expectation.

GSC appears to have Troika syndrome: Our games are totally awesome and hardcore; don't bother us with trivialities likes bugs and crashes.

I'll pick it up in the bargain bin sometime down the road, thanks.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The one Troika game I had problems running was ToEE. Arcanum and Bloodlines worked fine for me personally. While I won't defend the buggyness, it's a shame though that (afaik) they never really got the chance to patch the games properly from the publishers.

Didn't have all that much trouble with the first STALKER either.

Anyways, I'd rather buy STALKER, Clear Sky (which I did) than most of the garbage coming out now. Polish is good obviously, but when the games themselves are boring... bleh.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Snobby has nothing to do with it. Expecting something you spend your money on to actually work seems a pretty reason expectation.

Yeah, i've put up with it in the past (was a big fan of Hidden and Dangerous which had some major gamebreaking bugs) but these days it's simply not enough, esspesally when i've already got so many good games available to me.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It's gotten to the point that I sometimes buy games and then let them gather dust for three months so the developers can release the necessary patches.

Isn't that kinda like buying an awesome new car and then having it sit in the driveway for 3 months until the mechanics can get it driveable?

Does anybody actually do that?

Gamers have an inordinate tolerance for letting developers and publishers kick them in the face and laugh. Over and over and over again.

Anyways, I'd rather buy STALKER, Clear Sky (which I did) than most of the garbage coming out now. Polish is good obviously, but when the games themselves are boring... bleh.

I'd rather buy STALKER:CS more than most other games right now, too. But if it doesn't work very well, why bother spending the money in the first place. There is always something else to spend money on.

I suppose if I was super rich and didn't care about wasting money, then maybe it wouldn't matter.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's gotten to the point that I sometimes buy games and then let them gather dust for three months so the developers can release the necessary patches.

Isn't that kinda like buying an awesome new car and then having it sit in the driveway for 3 months until the mechanics can get it driveable?

No.

Does anybody actually do that?

No, no one does that. I'm an imaginary person.

Gamers have an inordinate tolerance for letting developers and publishers kick them in the face and laugh. Over and over and over again.

I'd suggest your view of the world is far more hostile than my own. Do you really think the people at cdprojekt are evil folk who only want to punish the people who buy their games? If Obsidian was just a group of hacks after our money, why would they bother releasing patches at all?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Do you really think the people at cdprojekt are evil folk who only want to punish the people who buy their games? If Obsidian was just a group of hacks after our money, why would they bother releasing patches at all?

No, but neither do I think they're a bunch of oblivious n00bs that were caught totally by surprise by many, many obvious, sometimes gamebreaking, bugs. Do you honestly think the literally HUNDREDS of bugs present in the release of NWN2 was just a whoopys-daisy that slipped past QA? Now you just have to purchase the games for the honor of being a Beta tester so that some time down the road maybe they can cobble together enough zots to fix the most glaring problems.

^Exactly, and consumers be damned.

Maybe Im old fashioned but you would think there would be some pride and accountability in the products they make. Every single excuse cant be "its not our fault, they made us do it". I think I'd even feel better is they just came out and admitted to dropping the ball. I know if the products my company manufactures were bug riddled POS at release we would be promptly out of business and I think that plays to Crashgirl's example of how computer games are willing to put up with this, for whatever reason.

I've spent thousands of good faith dollars on computer games over the years. Good faith in that I was paying my money to get the product that was what it said it was and did what it said it did. Sometimes, that is in fact the case. A lot of times it is not.

No developer or publisher has ever offered me my money back for those many times that I got something that was not what I paid for: a working product.

Caveat emptor, right?

So be it. I'll pick up a game like S:CS in the bargain bin. Others can of course feel free to buy games that don't work. God bless.

Do you really think the people at cdprojekt are evil folk who only want to punish the people who buy their games? If Obsidian was just a group of hacks after our money, why would they bother releasing patches at all?

Not at all. WHat I suggest is that developers and publishers know from past experience that many gamers will get all frothed up over an upcoming game, rush out to buy it the day of release, then contentedly sit around and wait for (possible) patches. Since that sort of behavior by gamers is a known and endlessly repeated phenomenon, developers and publishers know that they can release their broken or semi-broken games and people will buy them anyway.

Edited by CrashGirl

Others can of course feel free to buy games that don't work. God bless.

It's nothing new, with this DRM crap people are buying games they don't even want. 'It doesn't have DRM! I'm making a stand!'.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I recently played through the original STALKER with the 1.04 patch, and I had very little problem. I did however also use the mod called the Zone Reclamation Project, which basically also fixes bugs as well as allow the player some additional tweaks (like if you want a merchant to repair stuff, you can turn off those annoying audio loops attached to some NPCs, adjust the interface a bit). I highly recommend that mod if you decide to play it again.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I waited six months before I finally installed Gothic 3. I even had it on pre-order..

It wasn't long enough.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I play many buggy games without incident as well. If I meet them by now it's probably more to do with the game not being patched or something.

Last time I played it, with all the current patches (although the last couple are mostly multiplayer fixes; the first 2 are the most important as far as the single player game goes), it was more or less OK. I still have the problem with the Nvidia drivers and the way STALKER handles clearing texture memory so I had to lower the texture quality to stop the game from constantly crashing. Once I did that it was mostly just the random crash and the same sort of odd in-game behaviors of the artificial life systems.