The Witcher

ramza

Has anyone bought this game yet? Any first impressions to share?

I have been waiting this game for a long time. I hope it lives up to my expectations...

There's a similar thread on the Codex. They have some interesting things to say:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20967

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

It looks like a basic action RPG. Dime a dozen.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You americans get the censored version anyway, why even bother unless you're ready to import :ermm:

For me, i like what i've seen in the videos so far. Racism against dwarfes and elves, genocide here and there, dark atmosphere, grownup-talk (you know what i mean), sex is there but not as a selling point, choice and consequences actually has some meaning and so on...

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

OMG OMG OMG.

It's probably not going to end up that good, but I have a feeling it will be worth playing. I wonder if I can get a hold of it anytime in the next month, though. I'll look around.

Hmm, it isn't released in Sweden yet. Two more days to wait. I wonder why?

Anyhow, the Limited Edition looks really nice.. If this scores highly I'm getting it.

79543_1.jpg

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I love the map, it's the same as in that announcement video.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I don't why it isn't released in Sweden, but I do know that it apparently has been released in Russia for some odd reason. I do know that in Europe new games are released at the end of the week e.g. on Fridays so that's why The Witcher will be released on Friday the 26th of October 2007. In the US new games are released on Tuesday, so that's why The Witcher will be released on the 30th of October 2007.

The codex reviews, so far, seems harsh, but I've seen some of the videos as well as followed the game's development somewhat closely. Initially I wasn't going to buy this game, but eventually I will one day. The game's story seem amazing as well as the settings in the games. They are very unique and innovative, in the truest senses of these words :ermm: The Codex has a habit of taking everything to pieces with their sharp teeth. If it still stands, then they like & cherish is forever - just like they've done with Planescape: Torment. And just like they're doing today, with

Mask of the Betrayer.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Codex's reviews, though....

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

If it turns out to be good, I'll import from the UK.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yes. Yes, nice boobies. Can we make our own character or are we stuck with a white haired male with a sword?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

You know, we were stuck with ugly immortal in PS:T...

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I like the two pics posted on the codex thread... :brows:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

And that is why it is the second best CRPG I have played. Also it is also a game made in the 90's. We have somewhat better tech and better designs since then, you know.

Edited by Sand

And that is why it is the second best CRPG I have played. Also it is also a game made in the 90's. We have somewhat better tech and better designs since then, you know.

I have a hard time believing the technology of the 90s is why players were stuck with TNO in PST.

That is why I also placed the AND qualifier, Alanschu. Read the whole post.

That is why I also placed the AND qualifier, Alanschu. Read the whole post.

I have a hard time believing the fact that the game was created in the 90s was why players were stuck with TNO in PST.

Edited by alanschu

The design style was used quite a bit a decade ago where disc storage and hard drive space for installs were much lower than they are today. Having as much text in PS:T and its design presentation made character customization limited. Imagine if we had NWN2 character customization with the various background feats, races, classes, and such in a game that has as much text and detail that PS:T had for each possible combination.

You couldn't fit it on 4 CDs, hell, a DVD would probably be hard pressed.

PS:T was a fine game for its era, but that era is long since gone. I expect better out of today's CRPGs than being limited in character creation and choice.

Edited by Sand

The text and story of PS:T was actually pretty neutral in regards to class or race with few exceptions. It wouldn't have mattered.

In regards to The Witcher, you're playing a pre-set character. Geralt. You can't customize "your" character because it's not really your character. It's Andrzej Sapkowski's character. A character he created.

Edited by Tale

The text and story of PS:T was actually pretty neutral in regards to class or race with few exceptions. It wouldn't have mattered.

I disagree. It was very much focused that you had to be the TNO for the entire plotline to work.

I disagree. It was very much focused that you had to be the TNO for the entire plotline to work.

You're obviously missing a track here. The TNO could easily have been any race, had any hair color, had any starting class, had any starting feats. It still would have been the TNO.

And none of this is limited by the design limitations you think existed in the 90s. At no point was his hair color or outfit so critical to the story that it would have required multi-DVDs to account for.

Edited by Tale

Texxt isn't exactly the biggest eater of storage space. In PST it was more a question of fitting the narrative of the game and development time. Torment would be impossible to make with a total blank slate main character. At best, they could've given a gender option (scarred hawt chick FTW!), but even then that would increase the development time immensely. And anyway, most of the things that made PST great were dependent on having a defined, written character.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: