EA buys Bioware

Draikin

Don't forget the traps. Those were actually kind of fun. Not sure if I ever killed anyone with the logs, but it was fun to try!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i do not see Bioware doing anything more daring in the future, since it doesn't fit in EA's model of profitability. Especially since they expect an return of investment so early.

Exactly. Less creativity. You *do* need happy developers to make a good game. Their creativity, innovative nature and adventurous mood is reflected in the product you buy. From now it's gonna be more streamlined crap, action-adventure nonsense with soulless glossy graphics, dumbed down stuff with long movie-sequenses etc. If people like Volourn wants to play that because "that's what most people want to play", then let me say: junkies love their dealers, because they give them the deadly poison they wanna to clog up their weins with. Of course, most teens are too dumb to understand that.

Imo, even OE is going this way, with that rushed NWN2 product, railroading story and lousy engine. After IWD1 it was alllll downhill.. :lol:

J.

Edited by Junai

Play MotB

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

"If people like Volourn wants to play that because "that's what most people want to play", then let me say: junkies love their dealers, because they give them the deadly poison they wanna to clog up their weins with. Of course, most teens are too dumb to understand that."

Your feeble attacks aside, I buy games that I want to play; not what 'most people' want to play. Of course, most whiney trolls are too dumb to realize that. R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's so tiresome hearing folks go on about how great games used to be. Sure, there are genres that don't get much love anymore, but there are also some amazing things happening with new games today. There also is nothing wrong with playing games that most people want to play, that's the entire reason that most people want to play them. I have some obscure tastes, I still pine for a good Xcom and Quest for Glory, but I don't go around with a chip on my shoulder about successful FPS and sports games and the people who play them. I'm just excited to see the gaming industry doing as well as it is. I'm not even a Halo fan, but I still celebrated the fact that it had a huge opening weekend that dwarfed the movies. As a fan of games, that's great news.

So stay positive because really, negative thinking about the whole EA/Bioware deal won't do anything to change the situation.

Personally speaking, the only game that I was really looking forwards to from Bioware was Dragon Age, and the fate of that game was never quite certain. So, like before, I shall wait and see.

Hope Obsidian doesn't get acquired any time soon, though. :lol:

Funny. 6-8 months before NWN2 release I stated DA won't hit the market until about the first NWN2 XP1 is on the shelves. I was laughed at by the bioware fanbois saying it would be out long before. Now it seems indeed, I was off. However in the OPPOSITE direction that I was scorned for.

what did Kahn say? ahh yes... 'revenge is a dish best served cold' ;)

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

And to stay on topic... heh...

Ditto Sand and company. I'd say 75% chance Bioware will be very different (more on the worse side then better) in 18 months. Thats assuming they were not consolidated into EA in a 'cost saving measure' as the new brass won't know how to run such a studio big picture wise. and like other acquisitions EA losses its grip on, just dissolve or merge it.

None the less, as was implied here if they do remain 'independent', they are going to jump on the EA SOP and be pressured to make many recycled games. Or at least 1 original game (at much as Bioware has done as of late) then several recycled games (cookie cutter RPGs reusing engines), rinse and repeat.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

It's so tiresome hearing folks go on about how great games used to be. Sure, there are genres that don't get much love anymore, but there are also some amazing things happening with new games today. There also is nothing wrong with playing games that most people want to play, that's the entire reason that most people want to play them. I have some obscure tastes, I still pine for a good Xcom and Quest for Glory, but I don't go around with a chip on my shoulder about successful FPS and sports games and the people who play them. I'm just excited to see the gaming industry doing as well as it is. I'm not even a Halo fan, but I still celebrated the fact that it had a huge opening weekend that dwarfed the movies. As a fan of games, that's great news.

So stay positive because really, negative thinking about the whole EA/Bioware deal won't do anything to change the situation.

I agree that there is no sense being negative, because it won't really make a difference.

At the same time, I can understand if people are disappointed about the possibility of it resulting in a change of direction for Bioware. If games like XCOM and Quest for Glory were the ones that got someone hooked on gaming, then unfortunately the industry right now is a bit less than "awesome" for them. But like you said Hurlshot, being jaded towards the people that ARE enjoying the gaming industry the way it is doesn't accomplish anything. I'm sure many of those people wouldn't be too interested if adventure games and RPGs were the big thing.

Or at least 1 original game (at much as Bioware has done as of late) then several recycled games (cookie cutter RPGs reusing engines), rinse and repeat.

Well, given how little RPGs are actually on the market, I'd almost think people would want "cookie cutter RPGs reusing engines." Wouldn't an RPG fan rather some IWD type games between the Baldur's Gates, rather than waiting for a long time between games?

Edited by alanschu

I wouldn't mind at all if Piranha Bytes started releasing lots and lots of Gothic's based on the same engine with just a new story, new worlds to explore and new enemies to defeat. Cookie cutter for teh win!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"I was laughed at by the bioware fanbois"

Which ones? DA has always been pretty much aiming for a late 2007 (at the earliest) or sometime in 2008 release.

"Or at least 1 original game (at much as Bioware has done as of late) then several recycled games (cookie cutter RPGs reusing engines), rinse and repeat."

That's coming a fanboy of Obsidian, and their sequels to BIO games not to mentioned not their own IPs. btw, I fine nothing wrong with 'unoriginal games' as long as theya re fun.

I could happily play BG10, NWN15, FO8, or NHL 2025 as long as those games are fun than some lameo 'new' game that sucks. L0L

> Which ones? DA has always been pretty much aiming for a late 2007 (at the earliest) or sometime in 2008 release.

At the time of the convos, it was being bantered about DA would be released ~6 months after NWN2. As who specifically I talked too. No clue - too long ago, check the archives would be my suggestion.

> That's coming a fanboy of Obsidian, and their sequels to BIO games not to mentioned not their own IPs. btw, I fine nothing wrong with 'unoriginal games' as long as theya re fun.

The comment was mainly how houses brought under the EA umbrella ultimately turn out. But IMO bioware has had a really good idea for a story since BG1 (perhaps HotU).

> I could happily play BG10, NWN15, FO8, or NHL 2025 as long as those games are fun than some lameo 'new' game that sucks. L0L

Conceivably like DA then?

But I am not saying sequels or expansions are naturally bad. They certainly can be done right. However, the ones that are just cookie cutter in they slept though the design process is what I am referring too. For example the exp for Oblivion took your char to a totally new realm with a ton of new content and interesting story. OTOH you have 50% of the expansions for the sims or most of the madden games.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

That's okay. The Madden games are one of my fvaorite series. I have no problems forking $50 a year for its 'updates'. And, as a fan of the series, they do make changes to the game eahc year - and, not always in a good way hence why some versions I love it, and others I hate.

Example is the NHL series. NHL 08 (the latest one) is the first EA hockey game I've enjoyed in a long while.

"Conceivably like DA then?"

Yes, DA. Everyone here knows I like the dwarven race as is. BIO has aid their dwarves have certain differfence to the typical dwarf trhat we fantasy fans know. For all I know, I may HATE the DA version. Not to mention I dislike the fact that DA is using mana.. Urgh.

With NWN2, even though there are parts are dislike, I like the game just fine even if it is just a sequel (by a new company) largely due to its similarities to the original (and some differences/upgrades too).

Well, given how little RPGs are actually on the market, I'd almost think people would want "cookie cutter RPGs reusing engines." Wouldn't an RPG fan rather some IWD type games between the Baldur's Gates, rather than waiting for a long time between games?

That is an excellent point. I will admit to having pretty narrow tastes in RPGs and not many out there appeal to me (I'm more into RTS games now) but it is nice when there are a few decent if not so flashy "cookie cutter" games with a few subtle twists to fill in the time between the big titles.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I buy games that I want to play; not what 'most people' want to play.

Well you do, if you play EA-games. As for EA catering to RPG connaisseurs and those with a taste for quality and innovation - not in a million years.

J.

Edited by Junai

I buy games that I want to play; not what 'most people' want to play.

Well you do, if you play EA-games. As for EA catering to RPG connaisseurs and those with a taste for quality and innovation - not in a million years.

J.

Wow. Are you roleplaying now, or do you really buy into this haughty, high and mighty, superiority schtick you got going?

"Well you do, if you play EA-games. As for EA catering to RPG connaisseurs and those with a taste for quality and innovation - not in a million years."

Esxcept in your ignorance you don't realize that i don't buy and play EA sports games because others like do; but because I like them. Duh.

Did you know that hundreds of thousands of people bought and played FO. I bet you like FO (or whatever x game you like) because thousands of others happen to like it? HAHAHA!

You are a tool. A tool of ignorance, and delusion.

R00fles!

I don't buy EA games because I don't like EA.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

"Well you do, if you play EA-games. As for EA catering to RPG connaisseurs and those with a taste for quality and innovation - not in a million years."

Esxcept in your ignorance you don't realize that i don't buy and play EA sports games because others like do; but because I like them. Duh.

Did you know that hundreds of thousands of people bought and played FO. I bet you like FO (or whatever x game you like) because thousands of others happen to like it? HAHAHA!

You are a tool. A tool of ignorance, and delusion.

R00fles!

I'll tool you.

You're speaking in riddles Volo.

Game Over.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Everyone is saying Tool this and Tool that. What about some Green Jelly?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"