EA buys Bioware

Draikin

EA To Acquire BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. today announced an agreement with Elevation Partners to acquire VG Holding Corp. -- the owner of both BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios. This acquisition gives EA a strong competitive position in key genres in interactive entertainment: action, adventure and role-playing games. The two studios have been recognized for creating some of the highest-quality games in the industry.

BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios have ten franchises under development, including six wholly owned games. BioWare Corp. is currently developing the highly anticipated Mass Effect, which will be published by Microsoft in November, and is in the early development stages of a massively multiplayer online game. Pandemic Studios is redefining open-world games with its upcoming Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Good bye, Bioware. EA has been known to kill companies and it just swallowed another one. Bioware is now destined to be on the path of Westwood and Origin Systems.

R.I.P. Bioware.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Why do so many publicized partnerships/acquisitions/deals in general have to be accompanied by such rigorous ****sucking?

"These are two of the most respected studios in the industry and I'm glad to be working with them again. They'll make a strong contribution to our strategic growth initiatives on quality, online gaming and developing new intellectual properties," said John Riccitiello

"Pandemic Studios remains focused on attracting the best talent and creating blockbuster action games," said Josh Resnick, President and Co-founder of Pandemic Studios. "As a worldwide publishing leader, EA represents the ideal partner to bring our titles to market as global entertainment events."

"We are truly excited by John Riccitiello's new vision for EA," said Ray Muzyka, Co-founder and CEO of BioWare Corp. "This vision is consistent with BioWare's focus on crafting the highest quality story-driven games in the world. It will enable us to further the careers of the passionate, creative and hard working teams at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Austin."

Just once I want to read an involved party talk like an actual person.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Good news actually. Riccitello was the CEO of Elevation Partners before, and he and Doctors got along pretty well. Now he's the EA boss, and I'm confident they'll continue to get along with Bioware as well. I mean I don't think they'd agree on the acquirement just to let screw them.

Edited by Morgoth

Why do so many publicized partnerships/acquisitions/deals in general have to be accompanied by such rigorous ****sucking?

"These are two of the most respected studios in the industry and I'm glad to be working with them again. They'll make a strong contribution to our strategic growth initiatives on quality, online gaming and developing new intellectual properties," said John Riccitiello

"Pandemic Studios remains focused on attracting the best talent and creating blockbuster action games," said Josh Resnick, President and Co-founder of Pandemic Studios. "As a worldwide publishing leader, EA represents the ideal partner to bring our titles to market as global entertainment events."

"We are truly excited by John Riccitiello's new vision for EA," said Ray Muzyka, Co-founder and CEO of BioWare Corp. "This vision is consistent with BioWare's focus on crafting the highest quality story-driven games in the world. It will enable us to further the careers of the passionate, creative and hard working teams at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Austin."

Just once I want to read an involved party talk like an actual person.

Those are press releases. They always sound like that.

Those are press releases. They always sound like that.

Press release or no press release, that kind of behavior in public is indecent. Keep your hands where I can see them.

They are EA, the Borg of the computer gaming industry. They destroy what is good in a company, remove those who don't tout the party line, and pretty much make those they buy out into empty husks. I have never bought a EA product since they destroyed Origin and I never will.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

They are EA, the Borg of the computer gaming industry. They destroy what is good in a company, remove those who don't tout the party line, and pretty much make those they buy out into empty husks. I have never bought a EA product since they destroyed Origin and I never will.

Again, Riccitello and the Doctors worked together before... Who knows, maybe they're buddies? Anyway, Ray & Greg know what they're doing and what's best for their people (i.e. teh company). If they feel everybody makes out for the better, then all power to them.

Screw MS exclusives!

Edited by Morgoth

How EA swallowed Origin

I really hope EA has learned from it's mistakes.

That's like... 8 years ago? Different market, different goals, different CEO, Executives etc.

Still EA.

Does this mean that Dragon Age now has a publisher?

My thoughts exactly. Maybe now we'll start getting some information on DA.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Riccitello was the CEO of Elevation Partners before, and he and Doctors got along pretty well.

The doctors are rich, they dont care about the quality of their games or if their employees will be unhappy and leave. Same for Riccitello.

The last EA acquisition was DICE ... I'm sure the higher-ups at DICE are happy but the developers are working on Battlefield games non-stop since then. It's only a matter of time before the audience gets tired of Battlefield and the day it happens they'll all be fired by EA.

It'll be the same for Bioware. To maximize profitability, all games will be made using the same engine. I bet the only difference between their RPGs will be story/setting.

edited

Edited by Tale

How EA swallowed Origin

That's like... 8 years ago? Different market, different goals, different CEO, Executives etc.

Still EA.

And still Bioware.

Not for long.

I say give it a year, 18 months tops.

Riccitello was the CEO of Elevation Partners before, and he and Doctors got along pretty well.

The doctors are rich, they dont care about the quality of their games or if their employees will be unhappy and leave. Same for Riccitello.

And you know that exactly? I always got the impression Ray & Greg really do care about the company and continuously try to improve it. Not caring means to me like "Interplay", or "Herve Cain".

Edited by Morgoth

Doesn't matter now if they care or not. EA has their claws in them now.

How EA swallowed Origin

And 3 years ago, EA bought Trauma Studios, creators of the popular Desert Combat: Battlefield 1942 mod to help with Battlefield 2. Right before Battlefield 2's release, and less than a year after purchase, they dissolved them.

I, personally, am still very wary of EA.

A mod team? Who cares about something like that? We're talking about Bioware here. Screwing around with Bioware really would let EA appear like the biggest badass in the industry, an image I think they want to get away actually, right?

Edited by Morgoth

Freedom! Freedom for Obsidian!

On the day you become mighty and heroic strong, reputation known far and wide across the planes, I remind you to never give in to the corruption taint known as EA, Ubisoft and Activision they!

*Hangs voodoo dolls representing Fergie, MCA and co. with a sharp pointy stick in a hand's reach*