EA buys Bioware

Draikin

I rather SEGA buyout Obsidian first than EA ever. Considering how SEGA had been treating the Total War franchise, I think we can safely assume that if Obsidian is to be bought over, it should be in a respectable hands for now.

Edited by Zoma

Really? It seems pretty smart to me. Most consumers don't care who publishes a title, so EA buys developers who are already going in a "new" direction and, viola, EA is publishing different titles in a new direction.

EA is already known to buy popular gaming studios, then killing them. It seems like EA is going through the motions as they did before with Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog and so on. Buying them, then killing them. If Bioware is largely unchanged 2 to 4 years down the line then I will believe EA is changing its ways but as of right now all I see them doing is doing the same thing all over again.

Until they show proof, actual evidence in their actions, that EA has changed I won't buy an EA published or developed game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Hey, maybe now Dragon Age will lose that ugly "PC Exclusive" tag. Since EA likes its games on all platforms, this seems to be in the realm of possibility, no?

There are plenty of EA titles that aren't multi-platform. The Battle for Middle Earth series for instance. So nothing is given.

Hey, maybe now Dragon Age will lose that ugly "PC Exclusive" tag. Since EA likes its games on all platforms, this seems to be in the realm of possibility, no?

There are plenty of EA titles that aren't multi-platform. The Battle for Middle Earth series for instance. So nothing is given.

However, the second BfME and its expansion both are.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

BFMEII was on XboX360

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

A quote from Bioware forum. I'm not sure of the reliability of the information though.

Quote: So I read in the BioWare forums, and understandably BioWare employees are putting a positive spin on the deal yesterday. They defended EA and its CEO John Riccitiello, and they claimed Riccitiello is working hard to lead EA into a new direction and clean up EA's image. They claimed that EA under this "new" CEO would be a different, better EA.

But the problem is... Riccitiello *was* the COO of EA in 1997-2004! It's exactly during that period when EA went into the expansion/acquisition mode. It's exactly during that period when EA ruined and destroyed Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, etc., etc. It's exactly during that period when EA started its company policy of "milking franchises until they are dried." All that happened during 1997-2004 under the (partial) leadership of its COO, John Riccitiello.

Then in 2004, he left EA. After he left, EA got out of the expansion/acquisition mode and stopped destroying studios. Then he co-founded Elevation, and through Elevation he acquired and joined BioWare-Pandemic. And now he has returned to EA as the new CEO, and EA is immediately back in its expansion/acquisition mode. He used his connections in Elevation and EA to make this new acquisition (and maybe a nice commission/bonus off the deal.)

So now we are supposed to believe that it's a new EA, and it's under a "new" guy with a new vision, and he's out doing good for the gaming industry, and it's going to be different this time around.

Hello? It's the same guy! He came from that exact EA culture! He's already doing the exact same thing as he did before!!

I'll be waiting for results before I start really complaining.

I've played some good EA games (but I know they make loads of crap games), and one of them was a fantastic RPG, so I think Bioware will live. Besides, Pandemic and Bioware are pretty huge, and I don't think they'll get "pushed around" as much as other companies. The dead franchises were going downhill, but Bioware is in it's golden age, so at least it'll live longer.

What really bothers me though, is the fact EA will make money out of Mass Effect.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The day EA buys Ubisoft and Blizzard, we're all ****ed.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

When I consider places where I would like to work in the future, my wish list and goals so to speak, Bioware was on that list.

Bioware is no longer on that list.

There is NOTHING! I fear more than EA in my future career.

The power of the dark side is... difficult to resist... :lol:

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

This means very little, and the I N T E R N E T D R A M A is nonsensical as usual. It's real simple. if BIO makes games I enjoy, I buy. If they don't, I don't. Easy as 1-2-03. That goes for EA, that goes for Obsidian, and that goes for any other company. Duh.

R00fles! :lol:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

The day EA buys Ubisoft and Blizzard, we're all ****ed.

No one better touch the beloved Blizzard. At this rate I won't play any more new games. Now that EA has Bioware, their games will be rushed and pretty much patchless. Qaulity turned into garbage.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Maybe the next Sims 2 expansion pack will involve LARPing. ;)

Will Save penalty vs. Kitty: -20

GCS d(--) s--: a C+++$ US++>$ P+++$ L+(++) E--- W++ N+ w--- V- PS+ PE Y+ t+@ 5++ X R+ tv(+) b+ DI++ D+ G+ e++ h-() r+++ x?

How many nuns would a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

A quote from Bioware forum. I'm not sure of the reliability of the information though.

Quote: So I read in the BioWare forums, and understandably BioWare employees are putting a positive spin on the deal yesterday. They defended EA and its CEO John Riccitiello, and they claimed Riccitiello is working hard to lead EA into a new direction and clean up EA's image. They claimed that EA under this "new" CEO would be a different, better EA.

But the problem is... Riccitiello *was* the COO of EA in 1997-2004! It's exactly during that period when EA went into the expansion/acquisition mode. It's exactly during that period when EA ruined and destroyed Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, etc., etc. It's exactly during that period when EA started its company policy of "milking franchises until they are dried." All that happened during 1997-2004 under the (partial) leadership of its COO, John Riccitiello.

Then in 2004, he left EA. After he left, EA got out of the expansion/acquisition mode and stopped destroying studios. Then he co-founded Elevation, and through Elevation he acquired and joined BioWare-Pandemic. And now he has returned to EA as the new CEO, and EA is immediately back in its expansion/acquisition mode. He used his connections in Elevation and EA to make this new acquisition (and maybe a nice commission/bonus off the deal.)

So now we are supposed to believe that it's a new EA, and it's under a "new" guy with a new vision, and he's out doing good for the gaming industry, and it's going to be different this time around.

Hello? It's the same guy! He came from that exact EA culture! He's already doing the exact same thing as he did before!!

Haha, this is just too much.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

EA buys Vivendi... :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

EA buys Vivendi... :cat:

Somehow I doubt EA will become big enough to buy the company that owns NBC and Universal studios. Vivendi is worth 10x what EA is worth.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."