Mask of the Betrayer

Cantousent

"Eating souls". What?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Eating souls". What?

haha lol This was funny. Nothing like humble pie early in the morning. I actually spent some time discussing the spirit eater mechanic in my "review."

While I was vague, I certainly had a lot more to say about it than the blurb in question. hehe. Anyhow, the spirit eater mechanic is central to the story. It's a curse, but some folks might look at it more as a blessing. :Cant's wink and smile icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Let me make a guess; you keep consuming the souls of the creatures and people recently slain by you or your party members. So it's a two-fold thing, on the one hand the souls imbue you with power, but on the other you are a damning them from ever resting or, indeed, from existence. Sort of a Moorcock's Stormbringer mechanic.

The central narrative probably moves with you trying to get rid of the curse or trying to plunge more deeply into it.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Let me make a guess; you keep consuming the souls of the creatures and people recently slain by you or your party members. So it's a two-fold thing, on the one hand the souls imbue you with power, but on the other you are a damning them from ever resting or, indeed, from existence. Sort of a Moorcock's Stormbringer mechanic.

The central narrative probably moves with you trying to get rid of the curse or trying to plunge more deeply into it.

I hope there'll be a random group of druids that accuse you of being "unnatural" and you get into a really tough battle.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Sounds like a sort of revisiting of PST. I wouldn't be surprised if there turned out to be some critical consequence to soul eating in the grand scheme of things, just like how somebody, somewhere died prematurely every time the Nameless One was resurrected. Could make for some interesting endgame possibilities.

Perhaps there is some level of, at least, illusion of, choice early on regarding the adoption of the curse (you need it to save a puppy or something. a very rich puppy.), that would be interesting and a bit more different from PST's TNO. Still, sounds good, and it's very fitting that it's set in Thay.

not care if you feel that the party leader situation for dialogues is feeling silly. is kinda obvious that without such a model you got some serious balance issues resulting.

Hadn't really thought about it that way. Maybe we just have too many partymembers, making choices irrelevant in general?

am all for adding more npc independence during non-combat encounters (and even infrequent during combat,) but the fo2 crap just ain't gonna happen again from obsidian. even the obsinaties has learned and moved forward.

I think we agree more than we disagree. As matter of personal taste, I like the independent npc model better. I want to issue instructions to my followers and have them act according to their personality, not spiritually possess them.

As for release date, late September in Europe and early October in the States. I wonder where that leaves us living down under? :huh:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@Tale: I just stumbled across this thread and remember you being interested in the some of the Warlock improvements (see point #6). IIRC, those were two of the things you wanted.

All that says is they are adding epic feats, which I presumed to be the case. No actual information into WHAT those epic feats are. It's nice to see they're implementing two important non-epic abilities/feats, Imbue Item and Weapon Focus (Ranged Touch), but neither are what my Warlock cares about.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I thought it was terrific fun to play. It's not really the same spell over and over again. Treat yourself as the Swiss Army Knife of the group and you're good to go. Limitless see invisibility, limitless dispel, an essence that ignores SR, and a shape that is AOE.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So, if I understang correctly, gone gold from Bioware = ready for beta test on the general public? :x

Sorry, I couldnt resist.

Isn't that the rule of thumb for PC gaming?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So, if I understang correctly, gone gold from Bioware = ready for beta test on the general public? :lol:

Sorry, I couldnt resist.

Isn't that the rule of thumb for PC gaming?

The cheapest way to test the game.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The link is dead.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The website declined to show this webpage

HTTP 403

Most likely causes:

This website requires you to log in.

What you can try:

Go back to the previous page.

More information

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.