Movies you have seen lately

Walsingham

Anyone planning on seeing the new Resident Evil movie? It's the only succesful video game to movie franchise out there, and I always enjoy them as a fun action flick.

Tomb Raider was succesful. The first one is also the largest opening for a movie headlined by a woman, which would mean it earned more at opening than Resident Evil

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Anyone planning on seeing the new Resident Evil movie? It's the only succesful video game to movie franchise out there, and I always enjoy them as a fun action flick.

Tomb Raider was succesful. The first one is also the largest opening for a movie headlined by a woman, which would mean it earned more at opening than Resident Evil

Hmm, but didn't the second one bomb? Personally I could barely watch Tomb Raider, but Milla Jovovich is more entertaining to me than Jolie.

Apparently. However, Cradle of Life still pulled in more money in the US than Apocalypse. Apocalypse's "success" comes from it having a significantly lower budget than Cradle. 110+mil vs 45 mil

I will, however, be seeing Extinction today.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Lady in the Water (2006) - An idea (good?) terribly executed. Save yourself the 110 min it takes to watch this a do something else.

I actually quite enjoyed it, but mostly because the acting was very good. To me it was a very typical Shyamalan movie - a good idea, good acting, beautiful artwork and setting, a mediocre execution and some wierd direction decisions. By wierd direction I mean how he handles suspense - he's very good at building it, but when the monsters show up it's always dissapointing.

Fortune favors the bald.

The Bourne Ultimatum. Great, with sweet action scenes. I think the Bourne series is easily the best you can get in action movies in the past few years.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Lady in the Water (2006) - An idea (good?) terribly executed. Save yourself the 110 min it takes to watch this a do something else.

I actually quite enjoyed it, but mostly because the acting was very good. To me it was a very typical Shyamalan movie - a good idea, good acting, beautiful artwork and setting, a mediocre execution and some wierd direction decisions. By wierd direction I mean how he handles suspense - he's very good at building it, but when the monsters show up it's always dissapointing.

Well, that means he handles suspense really well. He just screws up when it comes to a climax.

El Laberinto del fauno (2006) - A fairy tale done right. A great experience, and one hell of a movie. :o

very kewl movie :)

i bought it on dvd the other day. some really cool featurettes on the special features disc

the director talks about the use of colour in the movie (how the "real" world is full of dull grays and blues, while the fantasy world is full of gold and red) and the "rule of three" that is present in almost all fairy tales eg. 3 ugly sisters, 3 tasks, 3 little pigs, 3 wishes, etc etc

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Guest The Architect

Transformers and Die Hard 4.

Our next-door neighbours lent us a copy of them. They got it from somewhere like Bali or Phuket, I don't know, but yeah, I watched those two movies today and Transformers was awesome! Prior to watching the movie, I knew next to nothing about Transformers, so, apart from expecting to see random metal objects or something like that transforming into these huge robot thingies, I didn't know what to expect. I mean, I heard from here, there, and everywhere before that it was pretty good and stuff, but yeah, well, it was just great. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Die Hard 4? Well yeah, meh, I guess for some reason I find any movie more enjoyable when I have a cold than when I don't. I never had high expectations prior to watching the movie and well, my expectations weren't exceeded or anything. I thought it was... eh, alright, certainly my least favourite of the four. The even numbers in the Die Hard quad just don't do it for me. I didn't think 2 was too bad, but they've got nothing on 1 and 3, which were awesome.

No the problem with Lady in the Water is that it's a crappy movie with some creatures and fairy tale elements crammed into it. It's so out of place in the setting and translates problems throughout the entire movie. Even though I thought Pan's Labyrinth wasn't that great (Trailer lied about amount of fairy tale-ness) it did an amazing job at making the fairy tale elements believable. Lady in the Water does nothing like that. The characters are completely unrealistic (and asinine) along with the fairy tale. It would have been better off an anime.

I mean seriously. Narf. That word alone just makes me dislike it.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Disturbia - Decent thriller, that kid from Holes and Transformers is a very good young actor. The movie was fairly weak, but he made it watchable.

edit: Oh, but it was a bit of a ridiculous depiction of teachers. The spanish teacher deserved to get hit, you don't call a kid out like that in front of the class. I'm not saying there aren't teachers who do that, but the fact is he would get a ton of pressure from his administrators and fellow staff members to drop any criminal case against the kid. The kid deserved suspension or expulsion, but felony assault is a bit much.

Edited by Hurlshot

I just watched Quentin Tarantino's Deathproof. It was...odd. I guess there were parts I liked. The ending was cool and I always enjoy Kurt Russel. It dragged a bit in some parts. The music was good. I guess I just don't know what to make of it. I didn't totally "get it".

Hollywoodland (2006) - Good movie, if a bit slow. Excellent acting all around.

Currently watching the HBO series OZ - Great show, not for everyone. It is about a prison after all and all that implies. Took me a while to get over my own prejudices to enjoy it for the fine series it is. I am convinced the reason Hollywood movies are unoriginal and uninspired is that all the quality writers and directors work for HBO/Showtime.

By the way Showtime has a free preview this weekend.

2 Days in Paris

Quite funny, although I felt it fell a bit flat in the end. Daniel Bruhl's scene was great. Go go Julie Delpy!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) - Great ending :)

World Trade Center (2006) - I thought it was very well done and the best performance from Nicolas Cage in a long time.

Accepted (2006) - Better than expected but then again I expected very little, some laughs but otherwise very average. I thought Justin Long did a good job and has potential with some better material.

The imbd message board is hilarious.

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee : Top notch film making and a great history lesson. 9/10

The Condemned : Pretty good "guy-movie" and harder to watch in some parts than I thought. Dumb as poo though. 6/10

Resident Evil Extinction : Better than #2 from what I remember but... why 3 of 'em??? 5/10