Gay Rights Issues

Kaftan Barlast

This week is Pride week in Stockholm, the largest homosexual-ish event in northern Europe. Politicians are there, the media is there, the gays are there.. even my *** of a *** 'faux-lesbian' vegan ex-girlfriend is there. And they're all shouting about gay rights here and queer and gender issues there, which is their right.

Except, In Sweden, the gay rights movement won the fight years ago. They can get married, they can have kids, you name it, and apart from the occasional fruitcake(pun), no one can even be bothered to muster dislike let alone hatred. Being gay in Sweden is about as shocking as being left-handed.

And yet when you hear the talk going on at Pride, it seems like these people were speaking out against slavery or dictatorial opression. They've won the battle already, but refuse to realise it, kind of like a soldier who's afraid of peacetime because then he will be without purpouse and without meaning, so he keeps fighting a pretended enemy. Which is annoying to everyone else.

So, how are the gays in your country doing? :lol:

(this post is semi-serious)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, it's Sweden

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Well, it's Sweden

A Finn is claiming that we are the gayer country?! Finland, the very birthplace of the entire leatherman/sailor gay genre?

bah! I say.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Tom of Finland :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Well, the US still has a long way to go when it comes to equality for gay people. I really look forward to the day where "gay" and other terms are not used as insults all over the internet and in online games. There will always be a few ignorant folks that resort to hate filled epitaphs, but gay bashing is way too common in our world. So until you see a real shift in the thinking of the average person, I'd say those parades and marches should continue. Legal rights are only one side of the issue.

But 50 years ago the US was segregating the schools, bathrooms, and water fountains by race, so progress is inevitable. Racism still exists, but society in general frowns upon it. Eventually, I expect society in general will frown on gay bashing as well, but we aren't there yet.

Well there're gay people who can handle it quite unobtrusive, and then there're the sort of gay people who just push the infamous "gayish" too far. I guess these gays are an embarrassment for other gays as well, but are unfortunately being put all into the same pot.

I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I hope this can become a sensible/amusing debate, but please tread carefully and bear in mind the forum guidelines:

Discrimination: Obsidian has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to racial, ethnic, gender, religious, disablement, and/or sexually discriminating remarks.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

If homosexuality exists here in Saudi Arabia (which of course it must), it's about as big a taboo as it's possible to be. I've had students who I've wondered if they might be gay, and as far as I'm concerned they're doing the most sensible thing they can in their position: learning English to get out and find a life somewhere they'll be accepted.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Just because they won the fight in Sweden doesn't mean that the largest gay pride event in Northern Europe is exclusively for Sweden. Are gay people supposed to all just move to Sweden for equal rights? Or are the gay people in Sweden supposed to not care about people outside of Sweden?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My personal opinion is...... let them live and do what they like. If they want to get married, let them get married. It does not effect my life at all. Freedom is all about doing whatever you please so long as it does not bring harm to or endanger the same for anyone else. As for Gay adoption, they can be screened like anyone else.

Very Libertarian, yes?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

i know gay people, i know bisexual people

hell, one of my best mates is a transvestite

none of it bothers me in the slightest *shrug*

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Guest Accept
Well, it's Sweden

You are the ones spanking each other with branches in your hot, sweaty saunas - NAKED! :brows:

-----------

A friend of mine is bisexual. It doesnt bother me at all, since I definitely still think he's a good friend.

Edited by Accept

I always wonder why Rev Al Sharpton and Rev Jesse James never vouch for Gay rights since i believe it is a huge civil rights issue. Its a schism in the American populous, and helped decide how many Christian fundamentalist vote, and since the Christian Fundies helped win the election... I"m guessing gay civil rights issues are not doing so well. Look at that hypocrite Ted Haggard and you'll see whats wrong with the Bibles interpretation what being gay is. Its a disease that has to be treated to the fundamentalist. It says being gay is a sin in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Christianity has a HUGE impact on society, thus why it has a impact on gay rights. This nation was not founded as being a Christian nation, but the majority were. Although the founding fathers were not, most were deists.

But the Moral Zeitgeist is slowly progressing in the US. I believe we just need less fear mongering because religion is more prevalent in a fearing atmosphere. Instead tighten our social structure like much of Europe already is. I think or weak social structure is largely to blame why we are behind on our civil rights.

But with the corruption of the current administration, and the ignorance of the main populace, i wonder how long it will take before we get anywhere... Do people ever sit down anymore and think things through, form ideas, or is it some wrestling match Kerry Vs Bush... Woah, look bush has a chainsaw and hes on a jet standing atop rubble! I hear people say liberal as a bad word and ELITE as a bad word... I would want someone elite doing surgery on me.

Meanwhile our education system is in shambles.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

are the gay people in Sweden supposed to not care about people outside of Sweden?

Yes, that's correct. Foreigners are smelly.

My personal opinion is...... let them live and do what they like. If they want to get married, let them get married. It does not effect my life at all. Freedom is all about doing whatever you please so long as it does not bring harm to or endanger the same for anyone else. As for Gay adoption, they can be screened like anyone else.

Very Libertarian, yes?

I agree with this.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

If homosexuality exists here in Saudi Arabia (which of course it must), it's about as big a taboo as it's possible to be. I've had students who I've wondered if they might be gay, and as far as I'm concerned they're doing the most sensible thing they can in their position: learning English to get out and find a life somewhere they'll be accepted.

Isn't homosexuality a crime worthy of beheading over there?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I always wonder why Rev Al Sharpton and Rev Jesse James never vouch for Gay rights since i believe it is a huge civil rights issue. Its a schism in the American populous, and helped decide how many Christian fundamentalist vote, and since the Christian Fundies helped win the election... I"m guessing gay civil rights issues are not doing so well. Look at that hypocrite Ted Haggard and you'll see whats wrong with the Bibles interpretation what being gay is. Its a disease that has to be treated to the fundamentalist. It says being gay is a sin in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Christianity has a HUGE impact on society, thus why it has a impact on gay rights. This nation was not founded as being a Christian nation, but the majority were. Although the founding fathers were not, most were deists.

But the Moral Zeitgeist is slowly progressing in the US. I believe we just need less fear mongering because religion is more prevalent in a fearing atmosphere. Instead tighten our social structure like much of Europe already is. I think or weak social structure is largely to blame why we are behind on our civil rights.

But with the corruption of the current administration, and the ignorance of the main populace, i wonder how long it will take before we get anywhere... Do people ever sit down anymore and think things through, form ideas, or is it some wrestling match Kerry Vs Bush... Woah, look bush has a chainsaw and hes on a jet standing atop rubble! I hear people say liberal as a bad word and ELITE as a bad word... I would want someone elite doing surgery on me.

Meanwhile our education system is in shambles.

Wow, this is kinda all over the map.

1. The black community is notoriously close minded about homosexuality. I don't really get it, but them's the facts.

2. The US being behind Europe in terms of civil rights has a lot to do with the fact that it's a huge friggin' country. I agree that fear mongering is an issue that the Republican party uses to its advantage, but the fact is Europe and the US are very very different on many levels.

3. Our education system is in shambles? Would you like to explain that to my students? There are plenty of people getting a quality education out there. It needs work, but I'd hardly call is a shambles.

Isn't homosexuality a crime worthy of beheading over there?

Don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

3. Our education system is in shambles? Would you like to explain that to my students? There are plenty of people getting a quality education out there. It needs work, but I'd hardly call is a shambles.

Our K-12 education system sucks sucks sucks, but our graduate schools are the best in the world.

I got stuck behind a gay pride parade on the way to the hospital in the middle of the night once. They were seriously blocking off one of the only ways into the emergency room. I'd ironically never had any problem with gays right until then.

Edited by Aram

I was all over the board because civil rights is connected to many other issues.

It varies from state to state but coming from Michigan where there are many colleges, and a superb Teaching college literally a 10 minute bike ride away, it is disappointing to see our system the way it is. Michigan's greatest export is probably our teachers.

No Child Left Behind underfunded, The importance of standardized testing may be more important than the quality of education, test, test, test. Child burn out from the increasing workload for children since they start at an earlier age, and get heavier loads. When economies go bad whats the first thing the state starts to cut? Much of the time its education. extra curricular activities and electives like art and music ( especially at earlier grades.) Teachers are getting heavier and heavier loads of mandatory paperwork and curriculum to pass such standardized testing to get funding from the federal government.

Much of Michigan's problems have to do with economics and inept educational administrations.

Here in Michigan its becoming more privatized also, with charter, Christian and private schools popping up here and there where teachers don't have to pass a state test. And these schools have no extra benefit educationally,Their flocking towards them robbing money from the public schools. Its like they forgot WHY public schools were created. I can understand wanting your child to go to an L33T school for sure though but these schools are just average at best.

Speaking of Civil Rights Issues Brown Vs Board of Education was overturned recently.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Speaking of Civil Rights Issues Brown Vs Board of Education was overturned recently.

We are going OT a little here.... but, what do you mean there?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell