Worst Camera Ever?

It's my topic creation for the year. Partially inspired by posts in the Ninja Gaiden thread. :)

In your opinion, what game, that you have played, had the worst camera? Why didn't you like it? Was it not responsive enough? Did it never point at what you wanted it to? What made it the worst camera you've ever had the misfortune to try to play with?

Personally my pick would probably have to be the camera for Jade Empire. The camera in that game was only part of the problem though. The controls were slightly awkward, however most of the game was easy enough that I could compensate for it. What I could not compensate for however was a camera that could not keep up with my movements. It just wasn't moving fast enough for my tastes and had no way (that I could find) to tell it to move faster. Ninja Gaiden had a button that would instantly pull the camera behind Ryu and I made extensive use of it. Jade Empire had no such luxury. I had to wait for the camera to rotate by itself. It becomes incredibly difficult to dodge a dozen enemies properly when you can't see any of them and it's showing everything behind you so right on your control stick really equals left on screen and up is actually towards the bottom of the screen (and all the enemies).

Life. It's always fuzzy and everything's out of focus. But, I guess I should give it credit for that depth thing.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The prize goes by default to some 3d console game. This is why I tend to gravitate towards 2d gaming. It's usually not so much of an issue unless it's a fast-paced game where prompt camera control is needed. Ninja Gaiden Black comes to mind :) Though, actually, I just rant about it, it's not *that* bad (nor is it good by any stretch of the imagination, though). It's functional enough, and annoying most of the time, but there's been very few times where it's actually gotten in the way of the gameplay. The problem is that I *like* the game. I'm sure there's some 3d console game out there that I've played with some horrific camera scheme that I don't even remember. Probably from the N64/PSX era.

I don't recall the camera in Jade Empire ever being a problem. But then again, I paused the game as needed, so I might not have noticed.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Super Mario 64 was bad at times. So was Sonic for the Dreamcast.

Super Mario 64 was brilliant, you could see inside Mario's head whenever he stood next to a wall.

Oddly, I liked NWN2 camera. Or rather, I had no problem with it. I'd just use top down view and keep it roughly isometric, then just use middle button to swerve around and scroll it to zoom in and out whenever i wanted to. Generally I'd make it more kotor-ish indoors, or just use it to dodge the trees and whatnot. I mean it's not perfect, but I have no idea why people dont' liek it. Hell, Free Camera can now be made to be exactly like IE games with the same keys.

Alien Syndrome for the Commodore 64! The speed with which the screen scrolled after your character(s) was about half of the speed with which your character(s) moved. What happened was that you were always pushing against the edge of the screen in the direction you wanted to move while waiting for the scroll to catch up. It usually ended up with death as you ran into some enemy that had yet to be drawn on screen. Incredibly frustrating, especially considering that the levels were timed and you HAD to hurry!! ARGH!

That's actually the only time I've ever stopped playing a game because of camera frustration. Almost 20 years ago.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Resident Evil (for PC) would be a good candidate. Followed by most things that looks through the eyes of the player character (first person perspective). I just hate the artificial tunnel vision and lack of peripherial vision.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hilarious thing is it's same as in NWN1

Some random psone game for me

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

NWN2. No matter what camera style or angle i tried, it just felt awkward.

Same for me. Admittedly, I havent played the game since two weeks after it came out (although I dutifully patch it every time a new one comes out :lol: ) so it might be ok-ish now. I also hate first person.

The Camera Angles in NWN1 and 2 are probably the best use of a camera in a game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The Camera Angles in NWN1 and 2 are probably the best use of a camera in a game.

They're not nearly as bad as Sonic or Mario that I mentioned.

Any game that has two cameras positioned in such a way that when you move through a door, you automatically turn back around and go through that door again, is a game with a bad camera.

:lol:

Dear God, you truly are fanboy nowadays

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

I don't really care if the ceiling is visible or not. The ceiling isn't all that important to me.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

:lol:

Dear God, you truly are fanboy nowadays

Hardly, but when I see something I like I state that I like it.

Why does everyone hate the Neverwinter Nights camera? What makes you think it's the worst. I just don't understand the aversion to it. It's easily controlled with a wide range of views. What is the problem? :lol:

Warcraft III.

Sure you can edit it, but at base you have a decent view, but have a worthless 45-degree rotation sideways, and hardly 90 degrees vertically.

Its not horrible, but it doesn't offer enough "liberty".

However, C&C Generals comes second, in my opinion.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Why does everyone hate the Neverwinter Nights camera? What makes you think it's the worst. I just don't understand the aversion to it. It's easily controlled with a wide range of views. What is the problem? :lol:
With the angle I like to use it is almost impossible to move around and not click on your PC and/or NPC.

For me it's hardly worst, but worse in crpg's I can come up with quick thinking

Again, camera was fine by me, but not great or anything

For me I think the worst part wasnt necessarily the camera itself but a combination of the assinine default movement keys being the arrow keys (why wouldnt those be the most common form, WASD?) and the mouse controlling the camera. It made, for me, a very awkward experience to move, then futz with the camera to get a good view, then have to re-adjust because your guy ran across the map, all the while with my hands almost feeling like they are crossed on the keyboard. You know, maybe that was it. Unlike other games where your group pretty much stays in one small region, NWN2 has your party all over the damn place which contstantly requires you to screw with the camera every time you click on an NPC to see wtf they are doing. You once explained to me that all that could be re-mapped but I never did before losing interest in the game.

Why does everyone hate the Neverwinter Nights camera? What makes you think it's the worst. I just don't understand the aversion to it. It's easily controlled with a wide range of views. What is the problem? :)

For me it's hardly worst, but worse in crpg's I can come up with quick thinking

Again, camera was fine by me, but not great or anything

I can't come up with :lol: