Ohio Senate tells strippers to back off

Darth Drabek

Social conservatives 1, strippers 0

Posted by Aaron Marshall April 17, 2007 12:41PM

A bill that would effectively end the strip club world as we know it in Ohio passed the Senate Tuesday afternoon in a 24-8 vote.

Senate Bill 16 was proposed by an initiative petition filed by the Citizens for Community Values, a Cincinnati-area group that successfully pushed the gay marriage ban in Ohio. The bill was approved 7-1 Tuesday morning by the Senate's State and Local Government Committee.

The bill would put in place a 6-foot rule separating patrons and performing strippers and cause adult clubs without liquor licenses to close at midnight. Those with liquor licenses could keep serving alcohol after midnight, but no performances would be allowed.

The committee vote wasn't without intrigue, as several conservative Republicans on the committee appeared to be struggling with supporting the bill.

Read the rest HERE

Now let's forget the fact that this would never, ever be enforced. Ohio's public school funding system was ruled unconstitutional 10 years ago and still hasn't been fixed, manufacturing jobs are disappearing as factories close up shop, and this is how our representatives are spending time? Debating how much safer strip clubs would be if the strippers were six feet away?

Hell, some of the old folks I've seen in places like that won't even be able to see the girls if they're six feet away!

It just doesn't make sense to me. What are they trying to accomplish? I don't think the change would improve the secondary effects" the article talks about -- high crime rates, declining property values and urban blight -- because the clubs will still be there.

They aren't even trying to remove the strip clubs -- they're just making them less fun.

Thoughts?

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Social conservatives 1, strippers 0

Posted by Aaron Marshall April 17, 2007 12:41PM

A bill that would effectively end the strip club world as we know it in Ohio passed the Senate Tuesday afternoon in a 24-8 vote.

Senate Bill 16 was proposed by an initiative petition filed by the Citizens for Community Values, a Cincinnati-area group that successfully pushed the gay marriage ban in Ohio. The bill was approved 7-1 Tuesday morning by the Senate's State and Local Government Committee.

The bill would put in place a 6-foot rule separating patrons and performing strippers and cause adult clubs without liquor licenses to close at midnight. Those with liquor licenses could keep serving alcohol after midnight, but no performances would be allowed.

The committee vote wasn't without intrigue, as several conservative Republicans on the committee appeared to be struggling with supporting the bill.

Read the rest HERE

Now let's forget the fact that this would never, ever be enforced. Ohio's public school funding system was ruled unconstitutional 10 years ago and still hasn't been fixed, manufacturing jobs are disappearing as factories close up shop, and this is how our representatives are spending time? Debating how much safer strip clubs would be if the strippers were six feet away?

Hell, some of the old folks I've seen in places like that won't even be able to see the girls if they're six feet away!

It just doesn't make sense to me. What are they trying to accomplish? I don't think the change would improve the secondary effects" the article talks about -- high crime rates, declining property values and urban blight -- because the clubs will still be there.

They aren't even trying to remove the strip clubs -- they're just making them less fun.

Thoughts?

why not tax the strip clubs and cut them some slack? then they support the community and build schools.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

*sigh*

How times have changed. I remember while attending aviation electrician school in Tennessee there is a strip club called Deja Vu. You can sit so close to the stage there I once had a stripper kick my drink out of my hand whilst she was spinning around the pole. Good times, good times.

As to the points in the article, they are total BS. As already pointed out, the rule will not change anything outside of the establishment and wont be enforced inside of it.

Well, I certainly don't see much point in a move like that. If they're concerned about patrons getting too excited/drunk and raising a ruckus or accosting the dancers, or something to that effect, a 6 foot rule isn't going to change much of anything, unless the dancers are enclosed in safety cages. But if they were in cages, then the 6 foot rule wouldn't be needed for that purpose anyway.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thats a good point. Here in IL, the strip clubs are 1) booze but no nudity, 2) nudity but no booze. Now, not to sound like a total degenerate but how can you have one without the other? Its unnatural I tell you. I believe that is squarly aimed at making them less fun, thus causing less customers, thus causing less strip clubs.

Thats a good point. Here in IL, the strip clubs are 1) booze but no nudity, 2) nudity but no booze. Now, not to sound like a total degenerate but how can you have one without the other? Its unnatural I tell you. I believe that is squarly aimed at making them less fun, thus causing less customers, thus causing less strip clubs.

I've only been to a strip joint once.. and I really isn't that fun to begin with..

Fortune favors the bald.

Legislation being pushed through by the notorious telescopes and binoculars lobby.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thats a good point. Here in IL, the strip clubs are 1) booze but no nudity, 2) nudity but no booze.

that's not true in all of illinois. the clubs on the east side of st. louis (not really in east st. louis, but nearby) are all full liquor and full nudity. sauget is home to PT's and diamond club, both of which are owned by the same company. full nude though they represent the high-end of strip clubs. go a little north to brooklyn and you get all sorts of nasty establishments. roxies is the best, another PT's franchise, btw. it has full nude, full liquor and, not only will they kick your drink off the table, they'll do it while sitting on your face. some of the others are pretty raunchy.

the rules you refer to must be county by county... some of the clubs in that area are also open 24 hours (pop's saloon and music... ahh the memories, too bad it burned to the ground. nothing like getting kicked out for being too drunk at 8 am).

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

I've only been to a strip joint once.. and I really isn't that fun to begin with..

All strip joints in Copenhagen are sleazy and kinda sad, I don't know what it's like elsewhere. I've been at a couple of bachelor parties with strippers though, quite enjoyable.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Legislation being pushed through by the notorious telescopes and binoculars lobby.

I always knew they couldn't be trusted.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What's next? The banning of public orgies? They just do not want the Democrats in that state, do they?

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

All strip joints in Copenhagen are sleazy and kinda sad, I don't know what it's like elsewhere. I've been at a couple of bachelor parties with strippers though, quite enjoyable.

True.. so very sadly true.. Which is why I've never visited a Danish strip joint.

I was in Prague, which is like 5 times as sleasy as Denmark. Maybe the fact that it was called "Banana Club" should've hinted me to that fact? (no it wasn't a gay strip joint - you filthy ****)

Fortune favors the bald.

Maybe it is just me but I often found strip joints boring. No real interactivity.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

If I could discretely remind members this is a family forum? Good.

Sounds like your standard incompetent administrative behaviour. The wood is full of wolves and you are at home, kicking the cat.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If I could discretely remind members this is a family forum? Good.

Yeah, but do kids frequent here though?

Sure some people are pretty childish, but I think we established, some time ago, that the average age here was around 25.

Fortune favors the bald.

Isn't krookie like 15 or something?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: