Books

metadigital

I'm about 2/3rds through Shadow Rising, and can't find my copies of Fires of Heaven or Lord of Chaos so I'll have to rebuy them...

I think these books are actually better the 2nd time through.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm reading a series of books by Jim Butcher called "The Dresden Files". Pretty solid pulp fiction, it's basically detective novels where the detective is a badass wizard. I've been looking for a good casual reading and this looks like it. I'm on book 2, so I'll post if they slow up.

I'm also reading "No Shortcuts to the Top" which is about an impressive American climber who summited all 13 8,000 meter mountains without oxygen. I think my wife hid it because I kept talking about climbing Mount Ranier.

children of the jedi. i dont really fully understand it. its kindof boring me tho i think it could be good

"She was short, she was furry, she was loud, and she was determined to sell him a melon"- random passage from Spector of the Past by Timothy Zahn

More linguistics source books.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

you realize Scifi has the TV series called the dresden files...

Yeah, it says something about that on the cover. I wonder if it's any good. Based on the fact I've heard nothing about it, I'm guessing not.

huh... you must've missed the hype blitz. but I've never seen a full episode given that most shows on scifi try to copy either Stargate or Battlestar.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Designing Character-Based Console Games, by Mark Davies. It's a pretty solid book, but all relatively basic stuff. Very thorough, covering aspects ranging from character design to combat to level layout, etc. I would recommend it for people getting into console development for the first time.

The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I've read it at least three times before, but it always gets to me. Such a sweet and beautiful piece of literature that really gets to me. I enjoy reading it. I always find something else that Chopin hides in there every time I read it over and over again.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Don Quixote by Miguil Cervantes

The preface to Don Quixote is my favorite preface it's extremely funny.

I look forward to reading Hunters of Dune by Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson but I don'y have any $ right now. :sad:

Edited by ghosta

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

I want Chapterhourse:Dune, but I can't find it.

I'm reading nothing at the moment, besides more linguistics. I might start Robin Hobb's Ship of Magic though.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I picked up a big fantasy anthology when out the other day, from 2004 I think. Short stories. These days I prefer short stories to novels (for fansty/sci/fi); I wish they'd write more of them. Kind of a dying art, seems like. Everything has to be in 8+ novel series now ...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i've got that around somewhere...

you gonna check out the new ones that continue on from chapterhouse?

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Persian Fire: The First World Empire Battle for the West (Tom Holland does an excellent job of compiling a narrative of the historical world under the first Persian Emperor, Cyrus the Great, through Darius and his son — grandson to Cyrus — crown Prince Xerxes, despite the dearth of reliable surviving information, together with more reliable (just) records of classic Greece.)

The Myth of Sisyphus (Albert Camus discusses what he thinks is the central dilemma of a godless universe, namely: why not just give up and commit suicide, and get it all over with without all the fuss.)

Both EXCELLENT.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

i've got that around somewhere...

you gonna check out the new ones that continue on from chapterhouse?

Probably. I like the setting.

kirottu said:

By the time the Dune series got to Chapterhouse, I couldn't help but feel it had lost a lot of the mystique that made the original so thoroughly appealing. Book by book, the story just kept feeling more and more convoluted, without seeming any more interesting for the added complexity.

Regardless, I'll probably read the sequel Brian Herbert has planned. The setting's still one of my favourites, after all.

I got Hunters of Dune on Sunday and I'm on page 372. I personally love the seris but I can see how other people might not. The seris is more like 2 seris in one. 1-3 and 5-8 with God Empoer as the transition. I think the first three were supposed to tell of how LetoII came to become the God Emporer. This is simular to starwars because in the Starwars trilogy we find out the important events neer the of the Galatic cil war. but latter when the prequils were made, we find out how the Galaxy got to Episode IV. Frank Hertbert did the same except in the normal fashion of story telling. The first 3 novels were the groundwork that would explain how the universe got to the point and time of Heritics of Dune were the main story of the fight of humanity against an unkown enimy.

Dune is a great series because it is filled with themes such as morality, philosophy, relliogon, and mortality all interlaced into a rich and well worked plot.

I finished Hunters of Dune on Thursday. Which means I read a 500 page novel in 5 days, a personal best. Any ways I got a couple of things to say about the novel. As a said earlier the previous Dune novels have been a culmination that have lead up to Hunters of Dune. The novel probably won't be enjoyed by many, except for seasoned Dune fans. I also suggest reading the legends of Dune series, that is The Buttlerian Jihad, Machine Crusade and Battle of Corrin, before reading Hunters of Dune. Otherwise you'll be waiting till the end of the book for the authors to give you a straightforward answer. When given the scheme of the events of the Butlerian Jihad you'll see things start to unfold about have way through the story. The prequels are not nessiary to read to understand Hunters of Dune but thier still great storys. I have the feeling that when Kevin and Brian were writing Hunters of Dune they presumed people would have read everthing that had come out earlier. I concluded so partially from the Author's note in the introductory pages of Hunters of Dune. Brian and Kevin tell the reader that they wrote the prequels to reintroduce reawaken the Dune audience for Hunters of Dune and latter Sandworms of Dune.

^_^
Dude - please; WSE.

Herzog by Saul Bellow:

"Well, for instance, what it means to be a man. In a city. In a century. In transition. In a mass. Transformed by science. Under organised power. Subject to tremendous controls. In a condition caused by mechanisation. After the late failure of radical hopes. In a society that was no community and devalued the person. Owing to the multiplied power of numbers which made the self negligible. Which spent military billions against foreign enemies but would not pay for order at home. Which permitted savagery and barbarism in its own great cities. At the same time, the pressure of human millions who have discovered what concerted efforts and thoughts can do. As megatons of water shape organisms on the ocean floor. As tides polish stones. As winds hollow cliffs. The beautiful supermachinery opening a new life for innumerable mankind. Would you deny them the right to exist? Would you ask them to labor and go hungry while you yourself enjoyed old-fashioned Values? You

I was looking at "The Picture of Dorian Gray" which is on my shelf, which I've never read.. So I took it down and decided to read it.

Interesting read indeed! ^_^

"People know the price of everything but the value of nothing." I think its from that book, you are right it was an interesting read but way to homo erotic for my tastes. I mean seriously it was like subtle but still homosexual propaganda and such. Our teacher showed us the ending of the movie, pretty funny how horrible it was but the book was nice.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.