New Black Hound Interview

Llyranor

Thanks for the link, Lryrie.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Great read. The various factions will try to use the protagonist, but he might end up using them. Very Millers Crossing on Sawyer's part. :Cant's broad grin icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Good Lord, could we talk about the mod and the interview for a while. For example, it seems significant that Sawyer isn't crafting this as a premium mod. That's going to make it harder to complete because he probably can't count on any significant help from anyone to do it. I mean, will Obsidian invest any resources in something that promises absolutely no commercial return?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Good Lord, could we talk about the mod and the interview for a while. For example, it seems significant that Sawyer isn't crafting this as a premium mod. That's going to make it harder to complete because he probably can't count on any significant help from anyone to do it. I mean, will Obsidian invest any resources in something that promises absolutely no commercial return?

I thought this had been known for a while. And the answer to the question is really "no." It's Sawyer's personal project. Anyone who helps at all would be doing it in their free time.

Unless that stance has changed.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I guess it might be common knowledge. I'm uncommonly ignorant about the happenings here lately. Still, on one hand I appreciate that Sawyer has much more freedom pursuing it independantly. On the other, I wish he had more support. I agree that Obsidian won't help him on an independant project. That was my point.

Still, they must know he's working on it and it appears that he's not keeping it a secret. In fact, maybe he can drum up some support for this title just because of the history behind the Black Hound. Maybe not a substantial amount of support, but at least a little. Who knows?

Obsidian Plays

Obsidian can't afford to give meaningful official support for a project that won't make them money. It's illogical to even think they could. They're a professional company. The point is to make products that make money to keep the company in business.

I'm sure he'll get some as he has been getting from Obsidian volunteers.

As for the actual module, some of it sounds rather cool like the main antagonist while others not so cool ala no PrC. Hooray to the fact that Mr. Sawyer has MURDERED the Warlock. Almost worth having no PrC just for that.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's not always true. For instance, does Obsidian let Sawyer use his work computer to do any of the work on the module. I mean, this "unless it makes immediate monetary gain, the company will not do it" is unreasonable. There might any number of reasons for Obsidian to lend support in some kind or another to the project. How substantial that support is, if at all, is a question. It's not out of the question, however.

Obsidian Plays

I doubt they let him use his computer for a personal project on company time. You know, when he's leading the development of the Alien RPG. :confused:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I doubt they let him use his computer for a personal project on company time. You know, when he's leading the development of the Alien RPG. :confused:

Why not? It seems he posts from work anyhow. In fact, what are the standard hours for designers? I get the impression that there are busy times when they see no end of their workday.

Obsidian Plays

I would bet it's a pretty free job when it comes to working hours. At least I know that's how it is in one of the development houses in my town (NO NAMES NO NAMES). They can practically come strolling in at noon (some weird coders just can't get their asses out of bed in the mornings), but if they produce the results they're supposed to and put in 40 hours per week, then it's ok. The problem is that they can be tough to get hold of for the other members of the team if they only work at night or something so I would assume they have some unwritten rules about that. But that's just my own guess.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Nifty! I really hope no one will ask Atari or Obsidian to turn this into an official product...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I would bet it's a pretty free job when it comes to working hours. At least I know that's how it is in one of the development houses in my town (NO NAMES NO NAMES). They can practically come strolling in at noon (some weird coders just can't get their asses out of bed in the mornings), but if they produce the results they're supposed to and put in 40 hours per week, then it's ok. The problem is that they can be tough to get hold of for the other members of the team if they only work at night or something so I would assume they have some unwritten rules about that. But that's just my own guess.

That goes for alot of places as far as I am aware.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

If I only had the time to add that to the FAQ...

/me goes back to work

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

I just had a question though... How many joinable NPCs will we have? Could Josh give some names and classes (pretty pleeeaaase)? :verymad:

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p