Stupid things you have learned

Calax

A studded bra, high heeled boots and a thong provide the same kind of protection that a full suit of armor does.

If you'd ever fought a fit woman dressed like that, you'd realize the difficulty in hitting her.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The world revolves around me.

(as a male character) Women always find me attractive!

(as a female character) Men may or may not pay attention to me, and some will address me as "sir", or "my lord", etc. (BG2, english language)

All it takes to get into bed with someone is to select the proper responses for a handful of counseling sess--- er, conversations.

I am always able to defeat people and creatures who are much larger/stronger than I am.

Dragons are just as easy to kill as knee-high kobolds; all you need is Greater Whirlwind. (BG2:ToB)

Animals carry loot. (Maybe all those hunters who go out in Autumn are hoping their kill drops a powerful artifact or valuable gem.)

People always store their belongings in (un)locked chests outside their homes.

Nobles are always condescending.

Children can't possibly be killed. (BG2)

Casting Armageddon kills everyone but me. (Ultima VIII)

That's it for now, brain just shut down. It's safe to say that if I tried to live my life by doing the things I do every day in computer games, I'd be killed or locked up for life (in prison or in a mental institution).

I think that might be Ultima VII (didn't play much of VIII), but this would sort of make sense. Given a universe where a magic spell can kill everyone on the planet, there's no reason why this same spell would not protect the caster as well.

At the same time, it seems odd that such a spell was included, since as far as I know it has no useful purpose in the game.

Children can't possibly be killed. (BG2)

I'm pretty sure that I've killed a child with a stray fireball or two. :confused:

At first I thought he meant Neverwinter Nights but I think there were a couple of instances where a child NPC was flagged as unkillable in BG2.

In a post-apocalyptic world the children may be invisible.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Let the children be invisible in those Euro-countries. I want to play my Champion Child-killer.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I think that might be Ultima VII (didn't play much of VIII), but this would sort of make sense. Given a universe where a magic spell can kill everyone on the planet, there's no reason why this same spell would not protect the caster as well.

At the same time, it seems odd that such a spell was included, since as far as I know it has no useful purpose in the game.

It was one of those easter egg things, like killing Lord British, that wasn't part of the plot but was fun when you figured it out or read about it and tried it for yourself.

I never got far enough in VII to do it (though I'd read that it existed in the game), but I did study it toward the end of VIII; It's a thaumaturgic spell you can buy from Mythran for 1000 obsidian coins. Nothing too special happens though. The sky rains down fire and whatnot as if you'd angered all the titans, and NPCs are sprawled out wherever they happened to be when you cast the spell.

Armageddon is an actual plot element that destroys the Avatar in Ultima IX, though that game is arguably not quite canon, as it twists and perverts many traditional elements of Ultima. Search for Hacki's Ultima page if you want to spend several hours reading Ultima nitpicks. He has nitpicks for all Ultimas (singleplayer), but Ultima IX rules the roost with over 500 nitpicks. (A nitpick item is some portion of the game that doesn't agree with conventions set in past games.)

As for killing children... I could never do it after installing ToB and the last official (non-beta) patch. (.26498 I think) You're right that it's probably there for international audiences, or the conservative right. I tried everything I could think of while I was in the Slums district (I'd accidentally turned everyone's circles red with a misplaced AOE spell so I decided to see what else I could do). Even the CTRL-Y cheat couldn't get the job done. (And no, they don't wear MINHP1 items; I checked.)

Edited by Wistrik

getting hit with an arrow near a wall will usually attach you to said wall (Half Life 2, and AvP2)

No matter how angry sombody gets at you you can usually become their main man within an hour (gta's and any other system with factional influence)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Let the children be invisible in those Euro-countries. I want to play my Champion Child-killer.

Discovering the reason for the weird floating text above nobody and the unsolvable quests was the first time I wished for a game publisher to go out of business... :sweat:

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I am encouraged to kill people who annoy me or who stand in my way ..unless they happen to be in my character party. In which case I may find myself being forced to put up with them. (NWN2)

I actually wailed audibly the other night as yet another cretin was forced upon my character party. Sobbing cries of "Why won't you just leave me alone? I hate you more than all the diseases of the Earth! I hate you more than my worst enemy!"

EDIT: I just realised I had a very similar situation in real life when I was a at school. In fact two analogous situations, so I withdraw the complaint.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A studded bra, high heeled boots and a thong provide the same kind of protection that a full suit of armor does.

If you'd ever fought a fit woman dressed like that, you'd realize the difficulty in hitting her.

Probably the most correct statement ever... Well, what if she was like super fat?

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Probably the most correct statement ever... Well, what if she was like super fat?

Die laughing or run away in horror.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You younger chaps have clearly never attended any kind of geek convention. Such occurrences are far less rare than you would like.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.