Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

Pirates of the Caribbean 3

I was sorely dissapointed. I had been expecting epic showdown between pirates and ninjas to finally see who would be cooler since I found out that Chow Yun Fat would be in it, but they ruined it.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I just took my friend through the first four (Director's Cuts) Star Trek films; it's a long story, but the short version is I wanted to show her David Caruso's acting inspiration: William Shatner. :x Having promised some over-the-top, stentorian staccato deliveries, I must say Shatner's acting wasn't as totally ham as it was in the series (which has been replaying here in Britain).

I don't know if I'll ever watch them again.

Hahaha, hubby and I joke about Mr. Caruso/Shatner all the time. :)

Shatner did tone down the ham a little for the movies, tho he still had some classic moments.

When I bought the first two seasons of ST on DVD, I hadn't seen any in years, and it was actually pretty entertaining to see them again. Tho I did FF in some spots ... :verymad:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally caught up to Alien vs. Predator on cable the other day. With great shame I must admit I enjoyed it. I even learned a few things, like I didnt know that the Aliens look the way they look because of them hibernating in humans. I always assumed they naturally looked that way and used humans as a living incubator but the movie clearly shows they incorporate parts of their hosts physiology.

I must say Shatner's acting wasn't as totally ham as it was in the series (which has been replaying here in Britain).

i think that was intentional. apparently he does really well in that new series in which he's a lawyer or something.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I've only seen a few of those shows, and he's still Shatner in terms of the frequent speech-pausing ... only he talks a lot softer, so it gives a different feel. In ST:TOS he was almost shouting every line.

I think he's matured as an actor in his old age - or at least mellowed.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Comedy Central did a roast of William Shatner a little while back which I see is on DVD as well. Worth it for the Sulu jokes alone.

I watched Letters From Iho Jima last night, but fell asleep more than once so I can't give it a fair review. And I caught American History X again the other day. I really adore that film, even though it has Edward Furlong in it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Pan's Labyrinth I really liked.

Just finished watching Pan's Labyrinth as well. I thought it was an excellent movie.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Knocked Up - Saw it, very much enjoyed it. It's really refreshing to see a comedy completely free of cynicism (I believe they call it "honesty") and even though there are some moments that dance on the edge of preachiness (in particular, when the sisters are denied entrance into the club) there's enough real humor there to make it feel natural. "Natural" is the best word I think I can use to describe these Apatow comedies. They're sappy, I guess, but they're far from saccharine. A Lifetime movie this ain't.

The leads are both great, although I admit I'd rather see a movie made about Seth Rogen's 40-Year Old Virgin character than his sweet-hearted buffoon here. Katherine Heigl is gorgeous and I thought she really pulled her weight in both the comedic and dramatic moments, which is great.

I think the real strength of this movie, as it was in 40YOV, is the great supporting cast. Paul Rudd doesn't get much screentime but he slays as the man whittled away by his marriage. However, the cast of friends here isn't as good as 40YOV's. I prefer smart tech store workers to wry stoners, I guess, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I know a lot of guys who are exactly like that, so I don't feel like I need to spend time with the characters.

Not as consistently hilarious as 40YOV, but probably the more mature and solid movie as a whole. I really liked it, and it'll stay with me for awhile. Once again I'll bring up David Mamet's criteria for movie greatness: I enjoyed it so much I didn't want it to end, even with closure.

As for the abortion issue that seems to be riling some people up about the movie, it's handled pretty well here. The woman just says "I've decided to keep the baby" and that's all it really needs, frankly.

Finally caught up to Alien vs. Predator on cable the other day. With great shame I must admit I enjoyed it. I even learned a few things, like I didnt know that the Aliens look the way they look because of them hibernating in humans. I always assumed they naturally looked that way and used humans as a living incubator but the movie clearly shows they incorporate parts of their hosts physiology.

I didn't know what to think when I saw Aliens vs Predator in the cinemas the first time. I thought it was appalling at first, but then when I got the DVD out, it was so bad, it then passed the bottom of the curve and started being good again. Certainly, you don't look for any logic here, lets not bother too much about the script or direction. This film defines what cheesy & corny dialogues should be, "the enemy of an enemy..is a friend" (...OH LORD). It sucked when they put pred's in this movie the way they did with being too wimpy... they shamed their race of truly badass motherf@$%kers. I don't care if they were young pred's, they should have been a bit more badass. The funniest bit was when I mistakenly thought the protagonist was going to kiss a predator.

But it worked for me as a Romantic Comedy. I mean that scene with the Pred and human running side by side with the explosion behind them, i have not laughed so loud in a long time. And the ending, A better ending would have been if the girl fell in love with the "good" predator and then the spurned mother alien turned up. Has anyone besides me ever wondered how she's gonna get back to civilization? all the people that can sail the ship are dead aren't they?? Paul WS Anderson is a nearly coming second in a two horse race with Uwe Boll.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

What was really surprising was that Paul did a Resident Evil movie with an R rating. He didn't want to lower the violence for... a video game... but he lowers the rating to PG-13 for a movie that combines two of bloodiest sci-fi horror movies ever. Huh? :thumbsup:

Even worse, almost every AvP comic/video game has taken place in the Aliens timeline with colonial marines. Placing it in contemporary times with civilians just wasn't as interesting.

As bad as it was though, I don't think it was worse than Alien 3, but I do think Alien Resurrection was slightly, slightly better. Should have got Monolith to do the story for the movie. AvP 2 had a more interesting and exciting story than Alien 3 to AvP.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Even worse, almost every AvP comic/video game has taken place in the Aliens timeline with colonial marines. Placing it in contemporary times with civilians just wasn't as interesting.

Placing it in contemporary times while still ripping off major ideas from the original comic was what bugged me.

That and having an Alien queen on Earth should have meant good bye to the human race. It was an insult to the Aliens, I tells ya'!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Has anyone besides me ever wondered how she's gonna get back to civilization? all the people that can sail the ship are dead aren't they?? Paul WS Anderson is a nearly coming second in a two horse race with Uwe Boll.

i know i did

people in the theatre got rather annoyed with me when i said in a very loud voice "what the **** is she gonna do now, hitchhike?"

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Carnivale Season One - HBO series

The Rodrigo Garcia episodes - I'm sorry, I don't know who shot them - contained some of the best looking scenes on TV; I hate to say it, but: breathtaking (uh, spine-tingling?). Holy... Jesus ... was this a fine looking show. Surprisingly enthralling, too: I watched both seasons in 3 or 4 days. Also, Kor: maybe it's because I viewed it over such a short period of time, but I didn't find it particularly confusing... more like - oh, God - intricate. (Oh yeah, the first Tracy Torme episode was ridiculously predictable, though; kinda left a bad taste... screw that guy.) (Hmm, I used to be - really - into Sliders when I was a kid.)

Last Week 10 days:

• The New World
  • Wonder Boys
  • L.A. Confidential
  • The Shape of Things
  • Hollywoodland
  • Lord of War
  • Sneakers
  • BASEketball
  • National Treasure
  • Save The Green Planet!
  • The Wicker Man

And The Sopranos.

What was really surprising was that Paul did a Resident Evil movie with an R rating. He didn't want to lower the violence for... a video game... but he lowers the rating to PG-13 for a movie that combines two of bloodiest sci-fi horror movies ever. Huh? :thumbsup:

That's the old "broaden the audience to create a wider market segment" Hollywood dynamic.

See above. The "ancient city under Antarctica" that was a precursor to human civilization was an idea that was just gaining (more scientific) public awareness, too, so I was quite impressed that someone had incorporated it into a screenplay already.

As bad as it was though, I don't think it was worse than Alien 3, but I do think Alien Resurrection was slightly, slightly better. Should have got Monolith to do the story for the movie. AvP 2 had a more interesting and exciting story than Alien 3 to AvP.

Alien

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Also, Kor: maybe it's because I viewed it over such a short period of time, but I didn't find it particularly confusing... more like - oh, God - intricate.

That's part of the reason I won't watch any more shows from HBO. How could they cancel something so different and entertaining?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Also, Kor: maybe it's because I viewed it over such a short period of time, but I didn't find it particularly confusing... more like - oh, God - intricate.

That's part of the reason I won't watch any more shows from HBO. How could they cancel something so different and entertaining?

I believe it was becoming too expensive to make.

What did you think Kelverin? Brilliant? Confusing?

Brilliantly confusing. I watched the series in a couple of days so that helped make it easier to follow. Unique and intriguing story with many twists and turns, excellent acting, top notch direction. Looking forward to season 2, however I have read it is not as good and unfortunately it appears they left a lot of unanswered questions since it was not renewed for another season. I have read they are going to re-air the show on the History channel, if they remove the sex, language, and violence each show should last 10 minuets.

I watched Stranger than Fiction on my ipod while on an airplane flight. I thought it was a wonderfully crafty and brilliant concept and Will Ferrel, as much as he has been over used in comedy, I thought did an insanely excellent job in his role. I think who ever directed this movie did one of the best jobs scouting the right people for the right roles, hell I'll even let the Queen Latifa thing slide by because she had a pretty minor role in the movie and well she has to make up for all the past sins she has bestowed upon the earth. Overall I give this movie like a 9.5/10.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Been watching Stargate SG1. Marathoned the 3rd season the last couple days. Now I have to buy season 4 because I don't have any more.

I remember watching a few eps on TV, but it was always kind of a "if nothing else is on, I'll watch" kinda thing. I now regret that. Its an excellent show, and I'm not looking forward to the time when RDA leaves the show.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Been watching Stargate SG1. Marathoned the 3rd season the last couple days. Now I have to buy season 4 because I don't have any more.

I remember watching a few eps on TV, but it was always kind of a "if nothing else is on, I'll watch" kinda thing. I now regret that. Its an excellent show, and I'm not looking forward to the time when RDA leaves the show.

The show starts to die even before that. He gets relegated to a desk job.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."