Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

The good sheperd. Yawn, no conclusion and the guy is made of freaking rock. Kinda nice, but has no purpose, and not much story.

But I'm watching Pan's labyrinth now, and its a ncie movie. Still haven't finished it though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Just saw Stranger Than Fiction, "it somehow falls short of a masterpiece" someone wrote in a review - so very true.

It's a diamond in the rough and the film is carried largely by it's attention to details. Magical in some places (painted clouds on a wall start drifting by) and tedious and slowpaced in other, but never in a way that ruins the film. It's that kind of movie you don't want to talk about, because you want others to experience the full effect without any expectations - guess I blew that.

ferrell-stranger-than-fiction1_1163118029.jpg

But in any rate I recommend it! Not because it's great or remarkable, but because it's ok - like some stranger smiling at you, which brigtens up the next hour or so of your life and leaves you wondering what could have happened if you had smiled back.

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Was watching How the West Was Won during another pamper-sick-kitty session.

Seems to me like I used to like that movie ... but it was a bit slow and ponderous this time around. Still watchable. I miss the old Western & spaghetti western films.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i watched children of men the other night. first movie that the dish guide (essentially tv guide) gave 4 stars to in a loooong time. pretty much anything since 1960 or so gets a 3/3.5 star at best.

was it worth 4 stars? acting was outstanding, story was great but could have been executed better. very intense in some parts, slow in others. somewhat of a confusing plot line that left me hanging at the end. this is one that another hour or so of storytelling would not have hurt. i would have stuck around for it. worth the rent, and better than most of the crap that hits the screen. definite thumbs up.

taks

The only thing I had any issues with was how the whole movie was down down down down down then you don't even get a happy ending. Just bittersweet. With how depressing it all was, it would have been nice to be uplifted a bit at the end.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

i watched children of men the other night. first movie that the dish guide (essentially tv guide) gave 4 stars to in a loooong time. pretty much anything since 1960 or so gets a 3/3.5 star at best.

was it worth 4 stars? acting was outstanding, story was great but could have been executed better. very intense in some parts, slow in others. somewhat of a confusing plot line that left me hanging at the end. this is one that another hour or so of storytelling would not have hurt. i would have stuck around for it. worth the rent, and better than most of the crap that hits the screen. definite thumbs up.

taks

The only thing I had any issues with was how the whole movie was down down down down down then you don't even get a happy ending. Just bittersweet. With how depressing it all was, it would have been nice to be uplifted a bit at the end.

what? why? - not to sound like the depressed hordes of misbehaving teenagers with a Goth-complex, but it's great that movies are more than comedy and light entertainment - I actually thought it was a bit too Hollywood

how wonderful it would've been if the ship'd never turned up!

Don't get my wrong, I need my fix of happy endings too .. but once in awhile I want movies to explore some of the darker aspects of us ..

Fortune favors the bald.

You both (Oerwinde and Taks) missed the point of the ending. It's about hope. To continue after that point would have ruined the film.

Remember that no one really knew whether the boat was going to show up or not. Also, Clive Owen basically died just because he believed in his wife, and as such, hoped the boat would would show up. And it did.

Children Of Man was beautiful to me, and a lot of that came from the ending.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

taks

what? why? - not to sound like the depressed hordes of misbehaving teenagers with a Goth-complex, but it's great that movies are more than comedy and light entertainment - I actually thought it was a bit too Hollywood

how wonderful it would've been if the ship'd never turned up!

Don't get my wrong, I need my fix of happy endings too .. but once in awhile I want movies to explore some of the darker aspects of us ..

It just seemed I dunno, lacking. All the good guys die, but all the bad guys die too, so theres really no one to cheer for.

It was like Mean Guns. Everyone worth cheering for dies, and the only survivor is the one you don't give a damn about. (Ha, I compared Children of Men to a B movie with Ice T and Christopher Lambert as the stars)

I saw Blood Diamond at the same time, and even with its "White People Save the Day" message, I thought it was a much more satisfying film. I'm not saying Children of Men was a bad film, just that I was a little disappointed after all the hype of "Should have won best picture" and such that pretty much the whole internet was spewing. I agree it should have been nominated, but The Departed was a way better movie.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I see your point, but I just felt connected to the movie in a very profound way - it was like seeing beauty in despair and remorse - and finding hope and purpose in such emotions.

Almost makes we wanna go through the self-toture of seein Irrevisible again.. wait no.. that would be emotional suicide.. (great film - very cruel)

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah Children of Men had way too much hype for such a shotty movie. I was thoroughly disappointed by the several scenes where he dodges dieing by 2 seconds. The first 10 seconds of the film was fine, but when he narrowly escapes getting caught by his "friends", and then walking out of a room that gets shelled by a tank 2 seconds later, and then of course the end when the jets come.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Wide Awake.

A sort of autobiographical documentary about a guy with insomnia/nightowl habits, and a little bit of doctor-theory tossed in. Somewhat mediocore and self-absorbed film - the guy stars, directs, produces, etc. But oddly fascinating too, if only because while watching, I kept nodding and saying "yeah, I know what that's like and know exactly what he means." :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Passport to Pimlico

Great. Where Pimlico becomes the independent nation of Burgundy.

Madness? This is Burgundy!

Heja Sverige!!

Yes, Pimlico the southern suburb of London.

Heja Sverige!!

You both (Oerwinde and Taks) missed the point of the ending. It's about hope. To continue after that point would have ruined the film.

Remember that no one really knew whether the boat was going to show up or not. Also, Clive Owen basically died just because he believed in his wife, and as such, hoped the boat would would show up. And it did.

Children Of Man was beautiful to me, and a lot of that came from the ending.

Children of Men was about formulaic dystopia. Society/humanity is falling apart because of its own actions, there is a slight glimmer of hope for a better future from a place that society/humanity seems unwilling to accept. Only through sacrifice does this hope eventually get a chance against near impossible odds.

Once the first two characters died, I knew the rest were going to die too, just in time to save the girl. From the moment I heard the girl was special, I knew she was pregnant. Clive Owens's death and the nurse's death were completely pointless just to make the movie seem dark and desperate.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Pirates3 : At World's End

I remember being boared with the first two, especially the second which, except for the villain and the masterful performance by Bill Nighy, was a turd.

But #3 was awesome. Non-stop action, very good pacing also, no character was underused(like Keira's in #2), the new characters(a bunch) don't take too much place, leaving the stage for those we already know, to let them finish this story once and for all.

The only problem I had was that there is a plot twist but we can see it fifty miles away and the attempt to mislead the viewers is laughable. The ending is a bit strange also but not bad at all.

Other than that, PoC3 looks and sounds great and is a lot of fun. I barely saw those 3 hours go by.

A great pirate film, yarr! :sweat:

8/10

My review of PoTC:AWE is not quite so favorable. I dozed off numerous times. And you needed a scorecard to keep track of who was doing what and why for most of the movie. The first one is still the best, I think.

edit:the fight scenes were pretty good, especially at the end, but to say it was non stop action would be a touch misleading

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

thing about piarets is that it was hard to keep track of all the good guys and thne bad guys. i liked davey jones' storyline though...very cool.

also I thought that all the scenes with jack sparrow was too much. he's just not so enetertaing after the twentieth scene of him twitching his lip..

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

The Fountain - One of those films you don't really know what to think about - it's more like an elaborate piece of art than a film. It's from the director (Darren Aronofsky) who wrote and instructed "Requiem for a Dream" and "Pi" - also two very interesting films.

- I really don't know what to say about this film - I guess it's something of a cross between "Solaris", "The New World", "2001: A Space Odyssey" and some modern romantic film (choose your pick). With a twist of religion, spirtuality, death, life and the human condition.

thefountain.jpg

Fortune favors the bald.

Pirates was a huge let down for me. I think the first one was the only really good one. Like for example, that freaking pirate court thing seemed like it was pretty much only in the movie for comic relief. And I feel they should have integrated the events of the first movie into it more. Like if the crew went back and stole that gold so they could be imortal skeletons in order to defeat the chithululu guy and his fish crew. I didn't really get too pumped during any of the action sequences either, but then again it was really late and I was tired.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

On Golden Pond. That brought some memories back.