What are you playing now?

Darque

Diablo1, because it's easy to play in short 1-level-bursts. Plus it's fun. I think my computer is fast enough now that the slow-walking problem isn't so annoying. Everything's a bit faster...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Diablo1, because it's easy to play in short 1-level-bursts. Plus it's fun. I think my computer is fast enough now that the slow-walking problem isn't so annoying. Everything's a bit faster...

Playing a game made 11 years ago on a modern computer, you should have no issues with slow downs. :teehee:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I loaned a new friend of mine my KOTOR for PC, and he came over this weekend and left me with his copy of Lego Star Wars 2. Hell yes. What goes around comes around.

So far it's more fun than the first one!

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Finally managed to finish God of War. Easy and Normal mode are done, currently playing Spartan mode trying to get ready for God mode (the hardest difficulty setting).

Pros:

• Fluid combat with dozens of combos to learn and master;
  • Good graphics with no slowdown;
  • Pretty dynamic and multitiered boss fights;
  • The ability to kill certain types of enemies in a specific way will reward players;
  • The game is rewarding wheter you're a neophyte or a combo master.

Cons:

• The presentation is hapzard across the entire game:
    • Characters in movies have jerky, unnatural animations and characters generally look like stereotypes made to please 12 year olds.
    • Voice casting and acting is all over the place: Kratos' anger comes as over the top all the time; while a scarred, half-burnt and disfigured temple watchmen who lives an empty and lonely life sounds has a rather common voice as opposed to raspy, sorrowful or apathetic. Ares sometimes sounds like he is talking to a wall or practicing in the mirror.
    • The story while not being particularly new is still sound, but has its fair share of WTFs - mostly from vague story sequences or poor level design as the game progresses.

At one point Kratos dies with a giant gaping hole on his chest and is taken to Hades. You wouldn't really tell the difference because you still use weapons and magic in Hades, which in itself is just another level. And by level, I mean ye olde sadistic 3D landscape filled with standard platform game cliches - moving platforms, spinning blades, long rotating cilinders with blades, enemies firing arrows while you have to perform jumps, spinning poles with blades (notice a pattern here?) which you have to walk through as if you were tightrope walking, and so on. At the end of the level Kratos just goes up a rope and comes back to live, the GIANT GAPING HOLE on his chest nowhere to be found. There's no explanation for any of this but the character who helps Kratos out of Hades suggests he is a god of sorts. The worst of this is why a game that draws so much from mythology presents a completely inane and bland version of Hades. I know, I know... FLAMING SKELETONS LAWL!

In one of the final movies, Kratos reaches the end of his journey and confronts his nemesis, Ares. Ares is holding Pandora's Box when Kratos throws lightning at it and it falls. Ares, who killed Kratos in a cheesy way just to get Pandora's Box - which he threatened to use against Olympus - doesn't do a thing and Kratos uses it for his benefit instead. Shouldn't the God of War at least fight to retrieve something so important to him? He seemed interested enough in it when he, y'know, killed Kratos for it just a few moments ago.

• "Little details" such as:
    • the game having text for in-game character speech but lacking any kind of subtitles during movies;
    • inconsistent level terrain with the typical invisible walls blocking one path but not blocking another, etc.;
    • the game allows players to spend points in fighting styles or magic attacks. I finished both Easy and Hard with but one style fully maxed out, but during the end of the game Kratos a huge point boost - more than enough to finally max everything out. This ruins favoring one style over another we may not have fully developed yet because there's no point - by the end, one way or another, it seems everything gets maxed out regardless. Note: this may change if it proves to be different in Spartan or God modes;
    • you can (and sometimes have to) perform minigames during combat - pressing a couple of buttons or sequences to either avoid being killed or to kill enemies faster or more brutally - but these sequences have no challenge as surrounding enemies wil just wait for you to finish.
    • doesn't do much to stand out from the "must place puzzle or tricky jump sequence to make up for lack of content" formula, though it's definitely a step up from games like Soul Reaver.
    • the later stages feel rushed, but thankfully there was still time to include unlockable Behind the Scenes footage, trailers, and a message telling us Kratos would be back.
    • During the last battle, Kratos confronts Ares in a giant form. While previous bosses - the Hydra and the Minotaur - and several enemies have "presence" (ie, the floor quakes with their footsteps and blows), Kratos and Ares' don't. No special sound or screen shaking is available despite their enormous size. Especially funny since they are fighting over water and not even the water reacts to this.
      Pretty minor to some, but hey, all the other bosses were pretty consistent in that regard so why not here?
    • Why does Kratos, with such incredible stregth, has trouble ripping off skulls from dead bodies? I know, I know... MINIGAMES ROK!

7/10 - Good but there's a ton of room for improvement.

Edited by Role-Player

I don't think the game's point was to create an overall consistent and believable fiction.

Your last point "why not here?" would probably be because it would be damned annoying if the screen shook constantly.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't think the game's point was to create an overall consistent and believable fiction.

That kind of flaw has more to do with amateur fanfiction than of not trying to be believable.

Your last point "why not here?" would probably be because it would be damned annoying if the screen shook constantly.

I explicitly mention the Hydra and the Minotaur because their actions do not shake the screen constantly, but what little is there still manages to give the feeling they have an impact on the environment. I didn't ask for the two giants to simulate earthquakes, either.

Well, It's a simple game. Everything about the game is so simple. Story, combat mechanics, Char. attributes etc. Gameplay wise, nothing revolutionary. But technically it is. It gives to player a huge world to explore. I can't compare it with Oblivion or Gothic since I didin't play them but I can say that, it's much bigger than your typical RPG. Just climb a high point, and gaze the scene.

Along with this huge world, it also offers some side-activities. They are fun and really rewarding. Collecting monsters and making them to fight for you on the monster arena is the most entertaining one I think.

The game is a lengthy one. It takes up to 110 hours to beat it with the side activities.

DQ8 is one of my fave PS2 games and also one of my reasons to get a DS. It really deserves it.

centinexx.png

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (per the other thread)

and about to give up on it because I'm fighting dragons that paralyze my entire group until they're dead. The only counter for having all three members paralyzed is Amulets of Freedom, which I need to go about dealing with the annoying item invention nonsense.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Still playing Vanguard...I'm actually at 4 days, 8 hours of playing. I'm level 15 as a Ranger, which is a good place to be, as I can explore all sorts of great areas. I've also been working hard to craft myself some decent arrows. I'm currently a level 13 carpenter, but I think at 14 I'll be able to make decent arrows and get back to adventuring full time. Crafting is frustrating, but the rewards are awesome and it's somewhat addicting. There's an aweful lot more strategy behind it than any game I've played.